Ginger White: ‘My heart bleeds’ for Gloria Cain
December 1st, 2011

Ginger White: ‘My heart bleeds’ for Gloria Cain

(CNN) – Ginger White said Thursday she is “deeply sorry” for any hurt that she’s caused Gloria Cain, wife of GOP candidate Herman Cain.

The woman who claims to have engaged in an extramarital affair for 13 years with Cain, who is currently seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for president, said “I am not a cold-hearted person. I am a mother of two kids and, of course, my heart bleeds for this woman.”

Although she first declined to address the candidate’s wife during an interview on MSNBC, White later changed her mind.

“I am deeply, deeply sorry if I’ve caused any hurt to her, to his kids, and to his family, that was never my intention,” she said.

Cain has insisted the two were merely friends, though he disclosed Thursday that his wife was unaware of any friendship between himself and White or any financial assistance that he provided her during the course of their friendship.

Calling assertions that she must have accepted money to lie “very hurtful,” White said, “I would never come out with something like this if I wasn’t telling the truth. I know that travel was involved and sex was involved. I would never lie about that.”

She corroborated Cain’s claim that 47 of 70 text messages exchanged between the two were centered on her requests for financial assistance saying, “we would text back and forth, he would help me.”

“Most times he was traveling…we would try and get our schedules together and he would help me out with money for bills and things.”

Both the businessman and White have kept mum about the amount of money he’s provided her. Cain refused to answer the question earlier Thursday, citing advice from his attorney, and White stated later she’d “rather not say.”

But she did reveal that all assistance from Cain was given “always in cash.”

White described her relationship with Cain as “a sexual affair,” and not a relationship based on love, but relayed an instance where she thought their friendship would come to an end.

“I thought we were friends and he made a comment to me…I said, ‘Wow, running for president, that’s pretty major, guess we won’t be friends anymore,’ and he said ‘Guess not.’”

Doubling back, White allowed, “We honestly were friends because he helped me, but on what level, I don’t know.”

“It was very hard for me to come out with this and fess up to something that I had done. I’m pretty straightforward and have a conscience,” she said.

“I’m surprised that he’s treating me like I’ve lied about this. It bothers me.”

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. truindep

after the first this is no longer news

December 2, 2011 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  2. john edwards

Cain tell the truth we will forgive you

December 2, 2011 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  3. jo an

Herman Cain should never have put himself and his family thru this....what was he thinking???

December 2, 2011 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  4. Memerize!

They should of stayed friends!

December 2, 2011 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  5. Exiled1

Later Herm. You're toast,

December 2, 2011 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  6. D.White

Just another lying politician

December 2, 2011 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  7. observer

Her heart bleeds for her; but the candle holder yearns for the candle – Mark Twain – Letters from Earth

December 2, 2011 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  8. dao

How does one apologize for the 13 year disregard for another person's marriage?

December 2, 2011 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  9. Deep North

She did not feel too sorry if she kept up the relationship.

December 2, 2011 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  10. OMG2011

Shen never ment to hurt his family??? Then what was her purpose of coming out and saying something NOW? You had 13 years to come forward and say something.

December 2, 2011 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  11. Davinia

The rhetorical question is, do Americans want Cain to represent the highest office in our land as the Next President of the United States of America.

December 2, 2011 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  12. teresa

A real class act. This guy helps me out in my distress for whatever reason, my thanks is to try and destroy him. If these allegations are the truth. He is a low life and she is worse for betraying someone. Who obviously helped her for many years. Shame shame. Total betrayal all around.

December 2, 2011 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  13. NCSouthernBelle

She claims she had a thirteen-year affair with a married man whose wife had no idea and still claims to have a conscience. One that only felt the need to come clean when that man was running for president. What a convenient time for someone's conscience to finally bother them enough to feel the need for confession.

December 2, 2011 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  14. bsrga

If Ms. White reads this story objectively there is only one word that can describe her. I am not defending Cain because he admits he has done something wrong. He is smart enough to know that none of this business with Ms. White should have happened in the first place. He should quit. However, Ms. White should shut up and go away with the money she has already made from Herman. She has NO feelings for Gloria Cain or this would never have happened in the first place.

December 2, 2011 07:27 am at 7:27 am |