Perry mocks stumble in new ad
December 1st, 2011

Perry mocks stumble in new ad

(CNN) – Rick Perry's ad blitz continued Thursday with a new spot mocking his now infamous debate gaffe.

"You know we've all lost our train of thought before, but not many have done it on national TV," Perry says in the ad after video of the Republican presidential candidate failing to remember the name of the third government agency he would cut in a recent debate.

And as he's done in the past, the Texas governor used the flub to paint himself as an outside Washington reformer.

"If you want a slick debater, I'm obviously not your guy. But if you want to clean house in Washington with a balanced budget amendment, a flat tax, and a part time Congress, I'm your man," Perry says referencing three pillars of his economic plan.

Perry ends the commercial again pocking fun at his misstep saying "I'm Rick Perry and what's that line again? I'm Rick Perry and I approve this message."

The new spot, which is set to air in Iowa during his appearance Thursday on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," is the third commercial released from Team Perry in the last 24 hours.

"While the rest of GOP field is busy handling scandals, inconsistencies and contradictions on important issues, Gov. Perry's appearance on Leno and his special Leno ad show he is confident enough to use the attention from last month's Michigan debate to highlight his status as the true outsider conservative in the Republican field," Perry's communications director Ray Sullivan said in a statement.

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • Rick Perry
  1. nintex

Maybe after President Obama wins his second term of office and these nutty Republicans have to go back to their day jobs, Rick Perry can go into standup comedy – obviously he's much better at that than he is at being a politician. We sure don't want him back in Texas.

December 1, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Gloria

I'm sure not watching Leno's show after the monologue tonight. I'd gag having to look at, and listen to, Rick Perry.

December 1, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Just Saying

Perry did not lose his train of thought. He missed the thought train entirely. The thought train pulled out of the station and left him standing on the platform looking at the station and wondering where the train was. As Daffy Duck would say, "What a maroon!"

December 1, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. hitobito

Rick Perry may not be a Washington insider, but he's still a dimwit! He is mediocre and very average to below average in intelligence. That may be good enough to be Governor of Texas but not the POTUS.

December 1, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Kris Craig

Translation: "I'm a moron and proud of it!"

December 1, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

------------------------
    Okay, now that there isn't a chance in hell that he'll get anywhere near the WH I have to admit that I find him to be the most likeable. He's like better looking, taller W, and just as dumb.
    You gotta admit though that not everyone can laugh at themselves and make sweet lemonade out of a huge public faux-pas.
    Mapface pulled it off. Credit where credit is due.

December 1, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Greg

How is Rick Perry still news?At the bottom of this page there is a very small “CONTACT US” button. If you are concerned with the fact that CNN has chosen to ignore a viable candidate throughout this entire process, please click it and let them know. I’m not even particularly a Ron Paul supporter, though I do consider myself a Libertarian. I’m just a bit frustrated by the obvious media blackout. Judging by the favorable posts about him I see on nearly every forum related to the current campaign, but the complete lack of coverage, I know there are plenty who feel the same. Below is the letter I just submitted as a “News Tip”. Copy and paste it if you want or write your own, either way let them know you notice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The study released Oct.17 2011 by Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism made what many of us have known for months quite clear. Ron Paul is intentionally being shunned by the media. Considering the influence that the media has in shaping our political process, it is unethical to ignore a candidate who is performing well in straw polls, national polls, and fundraising. According to the study Paul received 2% of the coverage related to the campaign, while Palin received 7% despite never being a candidate. Santorum, Huntsman, Pawlenty and Bachmann have all received more coverage despite receiving far less support. The same study showed that Paul is the only candidate with overwhelmingly positive blog presence. Despite being massively popular among individuals, the media has chosen not to report his candidacy. Fox News even went as far as to remove the results of their own post debate poll that showed Paul as the clear winner. CNN ran an article that focused on the second place candidate in a post debate poll Ron Paul had won by a margin equal to the second and third place totals combined. In that article Paul was mentioned only once, and very briefly. It's not only his supporters who are seeing this obvious bias anymore. Jon Stewart has mentioned it, even Jack Cafferty of CNN has written on it. It seems CNN and FOX agree on at least one thing, The candidate that has the most overwhelmingly positive presence on their own blogs, and in their own polls, doesn't deserve the benefit of their attention. I challenge you to look through your own coverage of this election and still call yourself ethical journalists. I expect some bias from any news source, but this is bordering on outright manipulation. This was meant as news tip, so here it is. Report the news, don't attempt to create your own narrative. Allow the voters to have a fair chance to make up their minds about every candidate.

December 1, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Ben Dover

Rick, Your "TRAIN OF THOUGHT" has no tracks to run on.
    But please stay in the race for as long as you can, the fireworks wil be great.!!

December 1, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"part time Congress"

This is a perfect example of GOPer/Teatroll hivemind doublethink. Congress has its lowest approval rating EVER because it can't get anything done as a restul of partisan gridlock and, as a result, many many problems are going unsolved with practical, reality-based, compromise solutions. GOPer/Teatroll proposal: give Congress less time and incentive to fix itself. Orwell is crapping in his casket.

December 1, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. Sniffit

Yes, disingenuous mock humility is ever so humble.

December 1, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  11. AlaskaPalin

Regular americans who will like to see low energy price will vote perry. The elites who hug trees will vote for obama. The cry in the primaries of 'anyone but myth romney' will become the anthem 'anyone but obama' in the presidential.

December 1, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Sniffit

Yes, disingenuous self-promotional mock humility is ever so humble.

December 1, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. SecedingfromTexas

@DominicanMama:
    ***************
    I love all of your comments, but this one I have to disagree. "Handsome", I guess, is in the eye of the beholder,
    and we have been beholden' him and his aw shucks talk far too long. Trust me, "handsome" can turn pretty
    ugly pretty quickly. I'll take kindhearted and intelligence over any gun toten', critter shootin', yahoo any day.

December 1, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. T'sah from Virginia

►Perry mocks stumble in new ad
    He has NO CLUE – so scary, so sad!!

Obama 2012

December 1, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Bubby

Perry, "Ah ... sorry ... what's the voting age in the US again?" Duh...nice going Texans! You've kept a village idiot in office as governor for 10 years.

December 1, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. ..a laurel and hardy handshake..

Mr. Perry, WHO EVER SAID THAT YOU WERE PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL ? I know, it was your mentor, DUBYA. THE SAME DUBYA THAT ATTACKED THE WRONG COUNTRY (IRAQ) – REMEMBER, 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED'?
    ..WELL Mr. Perry, you have ACCOMPLISHED YOUR MISSION – YOU HAVE PULLED THE COVERS FROM YOURSELF AND WE SEE WHAT WE SEE...............................DUBYA'S UNDERSTUDY !
    ..MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, MR. PERRY !

December 1, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Greg wrote:
    The study released Oct.17 2011 by Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism made what many of us have known for months quite clear. Ron Paul is intentionally being shunned by the media..
    ---------–
    Maybe, Ron Paul is not paying his dues for media coverage. Maybe the sponsors who buy the ads do not like Paul and Paul needs to try a little harder to get into their good graces. Media coverage is all about the money.

December 1, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Thomas

RickPerry / Tom Delay 2012

Enron Means Jobs ?

December 1, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. nancy

I absolutely love it, it'sgreat, he is so likable and honest guy, Gov. Perry you are my candidate.

December 1, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. Larry L

"W Lite"

December 1, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. loathstheright

These Repubicans are just so....so....I can't even describe how dumb they sound. I can't believe that any rightie could be proud of these idiots.

December 1, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |