Cain journey part of 'God's plan'
December 2nd, 2011

Cain journey part of 'God's plan'

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Businessman Herman Cain made one campaign stop in South Carolina before returning to Atlanta to meet with his wife and family after a wave of allegations have threatened his presidential campaign.

Political activist Jamie Harrison tried to rally the audience before Cain walked out. "So what do you want him to do? Run, run, run?"

The crowd yelled, "Run, run, run!"

Political Notebook: CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini discuss Herman Cain’s troubles, the ground work Newt Gingrich has yet to do, and employment numbers. Also, a Democratic pollster weighs in on the fight over extending a payroll tax holiday.

Cain appeared to be in good spirits as he delivered his stump speech. He told about 200 people gathered that his journey is part of God's plan.

"There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan. So I believe that I'm on this journey, I'm on this journey for a reason and I don't look back," said Cain.

After he acknowledged "some challenges," Cain said he will address the future of his presidential campaign Saturday at the scheduled opening of his new Georgia campaign headquarters. He said the announcement will "clarify …exactly what the next steps are" for the campaign.

"I am reassessing because of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first, I got to take that into consideration," said Cain. "I don't doubt the support that I have, just look at the people that are here. We have to look at what happens to contributions and we got to reevaluate the whole strategy."

Cain urged his supporters to stay informed. "Because there's a lot of garbage out there on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there on TV. There's a lot of garbage out there about me, don't you know," he said as the crowd cheered. "There's a lot of misinformation out there so you have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself."

After the town hall, people walked up to Cain and said, "Don't give up on us" and "Don't quit Herman!"

As he was getting into his SUV two men shouted, "Herman, America needs you. Don't stop" and "Think of our grandchildren this weekend."

This was the candidate's third visit to Rock Hill. Cain has four paid staffers in South Carolina with its headquarters in Columbia. South Carolina Director William Head said they are in the process of opening three field offices in Aiken, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.

Head said, "Obviously the campaign moves full steam ahead."

Also see:

Ginger White: 'My heart bleeds' for Gloria Cain

Cain's attorney: Presidential candidates 'better be careful'

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • South Carolina
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

Not in too much of a hurry to get home, is he?

December 2, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Herb, Rick P., Michele are only in this because God told them to run. After 8 years of a Bush/republican disaster, it shows that God still has a sense of humor.

December 2, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. Expat American

I just leafed through the Bible, and nowhere is it written that one should first get married; then chase after women; trousers around your ankles; waving pizza pimp dollars and call it God’s plan.
    I’m going to back track and leaf through the Bible again to make sure, though.

December 2, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Apparently Lynda he's not really going home. It is being said that Mr. & Mrs. Cain have separate residences. Yet I know what you mean. LOL!

Bringing God into this sordid affair is as low as he can go. Now he's pissed off the Bible belt folks, and his congreagation.

December 2, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. Clwyd

I think Mr. Cain is confused. It is all part of the 666 plan

December 2, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Sniffit

""There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan"

GOPer/Teatrolls doublethink religio-speak for "nobody can know the future until it becomes the present, and then you can rewrite it when it becomes the past."

December 2, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. mk1

I get so incredibly tired of the pandering to the extreme religious zealots. It's is always "God" this or "God" that or "God" told me this or that. What a bunch of fools. God gave us brains to make our own decisions and we have to live with that. To foist all this garbage off on God is insulting to God. God would never tell these idiots to do half the stupid stuff they do. Actually, I imagine God is pretty embarrassed at this point as well he should be.

December 2, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Expat American:
    I enjoy reading your posts, so glad you're back amongst us. That last one almost made me bust a gut laughing!!!

December 2, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

Hey, DM, thanks for the update. Separate residences adds more intrigue to the whole Cain fiasco, don't you think?

I know I'm pretty well God-ed out with this whole mess of GOPers (God-ed probably isn't a word, but you know what I mean)!

Have a great weekend.

December 2, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  10. cali girl

Gees. The "run run run" chant is run away, run away, run away. Keep the religion out of this.

December 2, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. susan leonhardt

He does not seem to get home in a hurry to discuss things with his wife and children, if he is expect to make an announcement in the morning. God's plan, he must remember there arr other religions in this country. It is a No NO to put religion and politics together

December 2, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Is "Toast" considered a Flavor of the Month?

December 2, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. made up my mind

people were chanting " run, run, run" "don't stop" Were they meaning for Cain to go home? Give it to him good Gloria!! Take all the money!! You deserve it.

December 2, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. once upon a horse

as a believer myself I sure wish these politicians would STOP taking the Lord's name in vain...saying He told them to run for POTUS or this is HIS plan for the journey. Ever since Perry had his "prayer party" here in Houston his campaign started out all "YEEHAW and YAHOO" then crashed and burned. Same with Herman Cain..he gets into trouble then wants to invoke the name of the Almighty. Bachmann and Palin do the same thing. Herman Cain like all the rest of us needs to take responsibility for his actions and stop passing blame. Wasn't it Cain that once said about there are too many "stupid people" running our government? I think he might be right.

December 2, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Ron

Cain is extremely narcissistic if he truly believes his marital indiscretions are a part of God's plan. No one is without fault, but this guy takes arrogance to a whole 'nother level!

December 2, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Jamie from Riverside

God asked Michelle and Rick to run as well as Herman.
    If he's going around asking ALL of these guys to run at the same time my question is:
    What is God up to?

December 2, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. jim.mck

I'm sorry, but what straight guy is gonna give money to a woman, behind his wifes back for 13 years and not be having sex with her? What kind of money problems do you have that need to be resolved at 4:26am? The bank isn't even open that early. The only thing worse than the allegations against him are his responses to them.

December 2, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. CA Dream USA

God Bless you Herman...Maybe you could use a dish of Humble Pie....Actually your entire party could use an extra large slice.....

December 2, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. SecedingfromTexas

I thought God made us different from animals, in that he gave us the capacity to rationalize, think, and make
    decisions on our own, while animals are strictly instinct. He did not promise that there would be no
    consequences from our actions, He just said, you decide. There are a lot of animals out there that are
    definitely smarter than humans. Dogs for sure.

December 2, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. Phil in KC

Is that the line he used on all those women? It's God's will?
    Personally, I find it interesting that he will be 'setting a meeting' with his wife. I can guarantee you, if I had fooled around on my wife for 13 years and she found out via the news – that meeting would have taken place IMMEDIATELY. And it wouldn't have been pretty....

December 2, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. kayla

maybe the god he is referring to is the devil( 666)

December 2, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. Al-NY,NY

as soon as they start with this "faith" baloney, they've lost. Keep your religion (or lack thereof) to yourself tightie righties

December 2, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  23. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

It is telling how the "churches" in this country let creatures get away with adultery, child molestation, gay bashing while acting gay, hypocrites thru and thru. This is why I do not take "church people" serious. As a matter of fact, many are dangerous.

December 2, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Nash

God had no part in his indiscretions. A person like Cain is a hypocrite not a Christian. When he blamed poor people for their poverty, he never mentioned God. When his fortunates are dissipating, he is quick to ask us for sympathy and to think about his Christian values. Is this someone you want for President? It only took him 13 years to help Ms. White. She still doesn't have a job.

December 2, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Lisa C

Cain, sometimes we also miss it when God tells us to "Sit down somewhere!"

December 2, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |