Cain journey part of 'God's plan'
December 2nd, 2011

Cain journey part of 'God's plan'

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Businessman Herman Cain made one campaign stop in South Carolina before returning to Atlanta to meet with his wife and family after a wave of allegations have threatened his presidential campaign.

Political activist Jamie Harrison tried to rally the audience before Cain walked out. "So what do you want him to do? Run, run, run?"

The crowd yelled, "Run, run, run!"

Political Notebook: CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini discuss Herman Cain’s troubles, the ground work Newt Gingrich has yet to do, and employment numbers. Also, a Democratic pollster weighs in on the fight over extending a payroll tax holiday.

Cain appeared to be in good spirits as he delivered his stump speech. He told about 200 people gathered that his journey is part of God's plan.

"There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan. So I believe that I'm on this journey, I'm on this journey for a reason and I don't look back," said Cain.

After he acknowledged "some challenges," Cain said he will address the future of his presidential campaign Saturday at the scheduled opening of his new Georgia campaign headquarters. He said the announcement will "clarify …exactly what the next steps are" for the campaign.

"I am reassessing because of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first, I got to take that into consideration," said Cain. "I don't doubt the support that I have, just look at the people that are here. We have to look at what happens to contributions and we got to reevaluate the whole strategy."

Cain urged his supporters to stay informed. "Because there's a lot of garbage out there on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there on TV. There's a lot of garbage out there about me, don't you know," he said as the crowd cheered. "There's a lot of misinformation out there so you have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself."

After the town hall, people walked up to Cain and said, "Don't give up on us" and "Don't quit Herman!"

As he was getting into his SUV two men shouted, "Herman, America needs you. Don't stop" and "Think of our grandchildren this weekend."

This was the candidate's third visit to Rock Hill. Cain has four paid staffers in South Carolina with its headquarters in Columbia. South Carolina Director William Head said they are in the process of opening three field offices in Aiken, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.

Head said, "Obviously the campaign moves full steam ahead."

Also see:

Ginger White: 'My heart bleeds' for Gloria Cain

Cain's attorney: Presidential candidates 'better be careful'

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • South Carolina
  1. Terry

Behold, I am a messenger from God. God wants me to be POTUS. Can you believe how many good looking women are at this fundraiser. I need some love right now. Has my wife left yet?

December 3, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  2. Bill in Florida

"My wife and family come first." Well, not really, Herm. Your mistress comes first, your wife and family come second. I wonder if Herm's adultery was also part of God's plan?

December 3, 2011 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  3. vp

what kind of retarded person still believes that Herman Cain still has a viable shot at the US Presidency?

December 3, 2011 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  4. Charlie in Maine

Memo to Christian Right. If I am willing to not consider his marital problems because they are his personal life I remain consitant with my views on Bill Clinton, but you give this bozo a pass? Just because he follows your narrow set of "Family Values"? There is a word for that. I am sure it is one you folks won't like cause you are always accusing my side of it. It is called ...wait for it.........."Moral Relativism" shame on y'all.

December 3, 2011 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  5. petena

All these people saying God told them this and that get under my skin. Keep religion out of this. Same goes for all of thos facebook people that have to put out prayers for others to read. Keep it to yourself. Why does anyone need to show off they are praying. How huble is that?

December 3, 2011 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  6. McGoob

Cain has got it all wrong. He must really think people are ignorant enough to buy into his cheap tactic of selling himself through religion. Its not surprising. Republicans main goal is to beat Obama. They just want someone to hurry up and win the song and dance of gaining public sentiment and financial support. Republicans would support Kermit the frog if he were campaigning and preaching about atheism provided he was in the lead .

December 3, 2011 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  7. Bill

Why is it that when these wannabe preacher types get caught with their britches down, they always blame the fallout on"God's will" . We need this stuff in the whitehouse?? Let's face it he and most of the GOP candidates are simply not ready for prime time. Can anyone see this guy as our world-class leader? Nonsense.

December 3, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  8. gg

9-kids-9cities9states

December 3, 2011 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  9. pattic

Someone once told me that you have to be careful about anyone who goes around bragging about what a good Christian they are. They are not as good as they pretend to be if they have to tell you.

December 3, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  10. drcanuck1

Guess your "god" hates you, eh Herman? You get what you deserve. I know there is no he!!, but you're heading that way in your own twisted beliefs Herman for your adulterous behaviours. And, you have no one to blame but yourself. Hypocrite waste of space on this planet.

December 3, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  11. Don

Maybe God has been so busy recently, what with all the requests from the football coaches to "win the big one", the bible-totin' pols trying to get on his good side, the Teapartiers and anti-abortion zealots calling on him to bet heard...

...well maybe he just got in over his head a little here and crossed his wires, causing Mr. Cain to perform with women against his will and all.

I think it's all God's fault and Herman can be excused.

December 3, 2011 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  12. Ellen, mn

Herman Cain is starting to remind me of the rooster "Foghorn Leghorn" of the old Warner Brothers cartoon. I'm
    surprised the political cartoonists hasn't captured his image wearing a cone on his head and tail feathers.
    The " I,. . .I say. ..I don't know what those women are talking about" routine is getting old. Herman should drop out
    now and save himself from further embarrassment. The hubris of the republicans has no limits.

December 3, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  13. Ron

Yeah, Herman..."run, run, run!" back to the rock from under which you crawled.

December 3, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  14. Myrtle

I don't know about god's plan, but I know that one sign to look for is a rolling pin imprint on the side of Cain's head
    when he announces he's dropping out of the race. That "god" may be Mrs. Cain.

December 3, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  15. FedUp

Everything hap[pens for a reason.

December 3, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  16. Billy Shears

The American Taliban has made an art form of stupidity and hypocrisy. And their troll followers continue to follow and defend them.

December 3, 2011 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. Marie MD

Once again, people "talking to their god". Do you think his god also told him to cheat on his wife with a woman who is now getting back at him (regardless of what she says) because he broke off the thirteen year affair and she is no longer receiving money from him? There IS a word for her . . . . . ho comes to mind.
    No wonder his wife wasn't campaining alongside him like big boy marcus, the rich secessionist's wife who blames her son "losing" a job he left on Obama and their campaign, the $250M flip flopper whose sons are too busy living life at its fullest to serve their county and now the huntsman who is pimping his daughters for votes.
    What a family values party of hell no!

December 3, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  18. Puddin

Before any of Herman's indescretions were known, I got this "gut" feeling that he was not trustworthy. Now I know my gut is working just fine. He really plays it up like a drama queen, going on about his journey.and it being God's plan. I notice the majority of the GOP candidates go our of the way to play their religious card in their stump speeches to be sure and get the attention of the religious right. What a crock!

December 3, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Rick in AZ

God told Herm, Michelle and Rick P. to run. He never told them any of them would win. God does indeed have a sense of humor.

December 3, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. wakiash

So God's plan was to have you cheat and screw around on your wife, lie to her and the public about, all while running for the highest office of the land? The rest of the candidates all claim to be part of God's plan, also. I've got a clue for you-
    GOD IS SCREWING WITH YOUR HEAD AND YOUR HEART!!! HIS PLAN IS TO MAKE YOU LOOK RIDICULOUS, AND AFTER ALL, NONE OF YOU REALLY NEEDED HIS HELP!

December 3, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  21. 66Biker

The way I see it, here's how Cain's campaign has gone thus far.

9-9-9... 6-6-6... Lie-lie-lie... Nein-nein-nein...

December 3, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  22. Randy, San Francisco

Cain exposes himself as a political huckster by using God as the reason for his candidacy. Sounds more like the devil's work.

December 3, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  23. kenny

Cain's Journey is part of GOD's Plan? This man is half a load shy of a full load if he thinks GOD has him on a journey that includes some of the things he stands accused of and I know he is half a load shy of a full load if he thinks his wife is as dumb as he thinks she is. That sucker had better sleep with one ey open while he is home for Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn. Gloria, hot grits is a southern favorite. Try to wake him with a serving of hot grits on his chest. He might consider keeping his pants shut or you could turn him from a Rooster to a Hen in one wack and not have to worry about him any more LOL. Herman Cain took a shot at the White House and if he is fortunate he will end up in the Dog House.

December 3, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Looks like the flavor of the month is melting....

December 3, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Yep Herb... Part of God's plan. But I'm not sure anybody will buy your "The devil made me do it" excuse when it comes to your "extra" activities...

December 3, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |