Cain journey part of 'God's plan'
December 2nd, 2011

Cain journey part of 'God's plan'

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Businessman Herman Cain made one campaign stop in South Carolina before returning to Atlanta to meet with his wife and family after a wave of allegations have threatened his presidential campaign.

Political activist Jamie Harrison tried to rally the audience before Cain walked out. "So what do you want him to do? Run, run, run?"

The crowd yelled, "Run, run, run!"

Political Notebook: CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini discuss Herman Cain’s troubles, the ground work Newt Gingrich has yet to do, and employment numbers. Also, a Democratic pollster weighs in on the fight over extending a payroll tax holiday.

Cain appeared to be in good spirits as he delivered his stump speech. He told about 200 people gathered that his journey is part of God's plan.

"There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan. So I believe that I'm on this journey, I'm on this journey for a reason and I don't look back," said Cain.

After he acknowledged "some challenges," Cain said he will address the future of his presidential campaign Saturday at the scheduled opening of his new Georgia campaign headquarters. He said the announcement will "clarify …exactly what the next steps are" for the campaign.

"I am reassessing because of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first, I got to take that into consideration," said Cain. "I don't doubt the support that I have, just look at the people that are here. We have to look at what happens to contributions and we got to reevaluate the whole strategy."

Cain urged his supporters to stay informed. "Because there's a lot of garbage out there on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there on TV. There's a lot of garbage out there about me, don't you know," he said as the crowd cheered. "There's a lot of misinformation out there so you have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself."

After the town hall, people walked up to Cain and said, "Don't give up on us" and "Don't quit Herman!"

As he was getting into his SUV two men shouted, "Herman, America needs you. Don't stop" and "Think of our grandchildren this weekend."

This was the candidate's third visit to Rock Hill. Cain has four paid staffers in South Carolina with its headquarters in Columbia. South Carolina Director William Head said they are in the process of opening three field offices in Aiken, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.

Head said, "Obviously the campaign moves full steam ahead."

Also see:

Ginger White: 'My heart bleeds' for Gloria Cain

Cain's attorney: Presidential candidates 'better be careful'

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • South Carolina
  1. ngc1300

It might be God's plan, but it was Herman's doing (free will and all, dontcha know?).

December 2, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Ron

I won't say that what Cain, or any of the other similar politicians of both parties, did was right. However, these days, candidates are put thru such scrutiny and embarrassment over any and every little skeleton in the closet, that I expect many potentially wonderful candidates are simply afraid to run. What one does in one's personal life has little if any bearing over what kind of leader he or she may be, so all the scrutiny and mud slinging does nothing but scare away potentially good people.

December 2, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Rugbymom

Truest part of his statement: "God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan." Or as a friend of mine says, God writes straight with crooked lines. Consider the possiblity that God has put you in this incredibly embarrassing and highly public position in order to make you look in the mirror and come to terms with who you really are, and have been, and give you the opportunity to clean up your act or at least repent. Or perhaps to give your long-suffering wife a way to end the marriage on honorable (for her) terms. There are many possible messages here, and "You're going to be the next President" is the least likely.

December 2, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. Grog Says

Do you think that somebody told Herman that
    the picture of him wearing a pimp hat was a bad idea ?
    Whats next, gang colors ?
    Any self respecting black person should see through this act.
    President Obama has class.

December 2, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mr. Cain is NOT going to quit his campaign on Saturday... I just suspect that he simply has too much arrogance and ego to quit!

December 2, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. pprty

Oh just save it Cain, Your wife will do what you tell her to – she's probably used to your hanky panky by now.

December 2, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. once upon a horse

Herman Cain has blamed the RIGHT for his issues, has blamed the LEFT saying the Dems don't want him to run against Obama, he's blamed the accusers saying they want to take him down, NOW he says that this is all GOD'S plan. Cain has blamed practically everybody but himself for this mess. Be a man..admit you messed up and if anything ask God for His forgiveness. The rest of this stuff is more foolishness.

December 2, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. evensteven

Apparently, Cain has spent a good deal of his life on his knees—but I don't think he was praying . . .

December 2, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. BeverlyNC

Herman Cain is the last person who would know God' s plan. He is no Christian, had broken most of the Commandments,and his laughable policies are the fartherest thing from the teaching of Jesus. He is just another Republican hypocrite liar who only cares about himself and his overblown ego.

December 2, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. logic in LA

He must be referring to "godfather" as in pizza. God does not participate in politics. But a real Christian would know that.

December 2, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  11. Josh

Apparently, Bachman and Perry are also destined to President. Each says God has promised the position to them. I would like to thank all the candidates for using my God as a political tool, thereby effectively reinforcing the incorrect assumption that all Christians are nutjobs. You guys are doing wonders for the faith. Keep it up.

December 2, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. GreenieInPA

You know when you play the Jesus card that your days are numbered. This is his swan song. I bet he's kicking himself thinking, "If only I had kept it in my pants until AFTER I was president ... then I get me a Monica Lewinsky."

December 2, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Rich

God Herm or the Koch bros...Go back to high school...and stop playing the fool

December 2, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. GreenieInPA

You know when you play the religion card that your days are numbered. This is his swan song. I bet he's kicking himself thinking, "If only I had kept it in my pants until AFTER I was president ... then I get me a Monica."

December 2, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. GreenieInPA

You know when you play the religion card that your days are numbered. This is his swan song. I bet he's kicking himself thinking, "If only I had kept my zipper up until after I was president ... then I get me a Monica."

December 2, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  16. zip

Mr. Cain? Jesus is out front and he seems a little angry.

December 2, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  17. dan

Cain is not able, never was, never will be.

December 2, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. us1776

4 accusers, a 13 year long affair...

But, wait, there's MORE !!!

Stay tuned.

December 2, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. EnjaySea

I wish god would make up his mind. The Iowa caucus is just around the corner.

December 2, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. Linda S

God must have to sit on a donut ring for all the taking it up the a$$ he does from the GOP.

December 2, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  21. BL

There is no God that is separate from us. There is no "plan." Everything is here, right now, whole and complete, eternal and timeless.

December 2, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  22. Steven Bulcroft

Typical hypocrit: he has to say God is behind his actions in order to avoid responsibility for his idiocy. Yeah, and God is on my team for football, he was behind Bush's war in Iraq and behind Bachman, and the rest of the phonies in the GOP. Come on guys people are not sheep WE DON"T BELIEVE YOU!

December 2, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  23. Patricksday

Interesting most "Christian Ministers" will tell you its the deceptive Devil who is telling you a lie. Whatever, he denies Gays human rights so he can commit adultery in his "Values" based lie. With if Slavery was put to a Vote, it never would of past with the hatred in America, not then and not now.

December 2, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Kevin

So it's now God's fault that he can't keep it in his pants?
    You know, I'm pretty sure that by now God must be gatting pretty annoyed at getting blamed everytime one of the people claiming to be one of His "followers" (and yet who strangely, routinely do the exact opposite of what He said to do in His book) get's caught doing something bad....
    Attention people: You being a screw-up is *not* part of "God's plan"! It just means you're just a idiot!

December 2, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  25. teresa, ohio

ya know, I, too, believe this is God's plan. : ) "all that is hidden shall come to light"....

yes, Mr. Cain, run, run, run... all the way home. That will be the last time you need run. You are officially OUT of the race, friend. Got caught lying way too soon. Go home. See if wifey will have you. 13 yrs...

December 2, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |