Cain journey part of 'God's plan'
December 2nd, 2011

Cain journey part of 'God's plan'

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Businessman Herman Cain made one campaign stop in South Carolina before returning to Atlanta to meet with his wife and family after a wave of allegations have threatened his presidential campaign.

Political activist Jamie Harrison tried to rally the audience before Cain walked out. "So what do you want him to do? Run, run, run?"

The crowd yelled, "Run, run, run!"

Political Notebook: CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini discuss Herman Cain’s troubles, the ground work Newt Gingrich has yet to do, and employment numbers. Also, a Democratic pollster weighs in on the fight over extending a payroll tax holiday.

Cain appeared to be in good spirits as he delivered his stump speech. He told about 200 people gathered that his journey is part of God's plan.

"There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan. So I believe that I'm on this journey, I'm on this journey for a reason and I don't look back," said Cain.

After he acknowledged "some challenges," Cain said he will address the future of his presidential campaign Saturday at the scheduled opening of his new Georgia campaign headquarters. He said the announcement will "clarify …exactly what the next steps are" for the campaign.

"I am reassessing because of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first, I got to take that into consideration," said Cain. "I don't doubt the support that I have, just look at the people that are here. We have to look at what happens to contributions and we got to reevaluate the whole strategy."

Cain urged his supporters to stay informed. "Because there's a lot of garbage out there on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there on TV. There's a lot of garbage out there about me, don't you know," he said as the crowd cheered. "There's a lot of misinformation out there so you have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself."

After the town hall, people walked up to Cain and said, "Don't give up on us" and "Don't quit Herman!"

As he was getting into his SUV two men shouted, "Herman, America needs you. Don't stop" and "Think of our grandchildren this weekend."

This was the candidate's third visit to Rock Hill. Cain has four paid staffers in South Carolina with its headquarters in Columbia. South Carolina Director William Head said they are in the process of opening three field offices in Aiken, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.

Head said, "Obviously the campaign moves full steam ahead."

Also see:

Ginger White: 'My heart bleeds' for Gloria Cain

Cain's attorney: Presidential candidates 'better be careful'

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • South Carolina
  1. Slightly Left of Center

Gee, Just how many of these politicians have a direct line to God? How many of them say their candidacy is God's plan? If God is the 'be-all, end-all' who will determine the winner, why would He need so many plans? Wouldn't He only need one?

December 2, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. June

And he is soaking in all this bologna from these 200 people, man please GIVE IT UP! as well as you 200 people.

December 2, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  3. J Mann

Not a great plan God had for him, I'd say – reach a level of success that would enable him to run for President, "tell him" to run and then yank the rug out from under him. Or, maybe it's his own fault and God was just minding His own business the whole time and should be left out of this mess.

December 2, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  4. Keith

Wow, what an insensitive sociopathic baffoon. His wife finds out he's been cheating on her for 13 years and he makes a stop on the way home? Neocons still try to support this guy? The neocons are really destroying the GOP. It's perfectly clear this guy needs to call the President so the President can educate him in family values.

December 2, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. bp

When the sordid details of his past are fully exposed, will he say that was part of God's plan, too?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always
    coincides with their own desires." – Susan B. Anthony

December 2, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. IceT

The old convenient excuse .. it's God's plan. No responsibility for your actions, no reason to plan for the future, no reason to do anything since it's all God's plan & therefore we have no reason to even exist. God knows all & sees all, future past & present. Religion leaves me with no reason to live, how depressing.

December 2, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  7. Charlie from the North

Did God tell you to have an affair for 13 years? You know those far right holier than thou types really gave Clinton a hard time over his choices and excuses. I wonder if they are offended that he is giving God credit his choices. Probably not but it reminds me of Flip Wilson saying "The devil made me do it" only Cain is saying "God made me do it" You can't make this stuff up.

December 2, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  8. Perfesser

Here's a question I was asked and I can't answer: When tomorrow morning's press conference is held, will the effects of tonight's discussion with Mrs. Cain be evident yet??? Swollen eyes; bloodied nose; scratched face. . . . .? Personally, I think those pieces of evidence would be well within God's will.

December 2, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  9. Angy

cain, God had nothing to do with you being unfaithful. Liar!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. FlopFlipper

Don't forget... These are the same people who cheer letting the uninsured just die, and the state of Texas killing of 243 people, some of them provably innocent. If it was a hanging or a witch burning, these folks would be going nuts with applause. They just love to cheer.

December 2, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. SFC Mike

This makes me wonder two things...

1) Were the two guys shouting at the end for that scripted "spontaneous outburst of support" paid staffers or volunteers?

2) Is the "God's plan" routine a prelude to some snake oil, speaking in tongues, eye-rollin sort of Jimmy Swaggart redux of "Ah have sinned, but ah is forgiven and now Gawd sed, mah plan for you is to become Prezident" routine?

Since his campaign is going nowhere fast without divine intervention, maybe he's making it up now. Lord knows, there will be plenty of primary voters who are as sharp as a bowling ball and twice as dense who'd fall for it. It's worked for Newt, so why not.

December 2, 2011 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  12. Mike - WA

The gods and goddesses people are becoming more and more bizarre. You have an evangelical christian cult that has, over the last 3-4 decades become nothing more than a mouthpiece for greed, selfishness and hate. If there is/was a Jesus-god my guess is that this is not what he intended.

December 2, 2011 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  13. SurRy

More tail on the road.

December 2, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  14. Ramrod

Mr. Cain. Reasonable person will overlook that you followed nature's command: sow the seed far and wide. However we will not accept your extremely retarded statement: "There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan."
    You should become a preacher, maybe replace Billy Graham and then you can stupefy the people with a legitimate excuse. You call yourself smart, yet you believe in hocus-pocus.

December 2, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  15. stevetall

Hi, Herb. God, here. I've told you before, and I'll say it again. It is not my plan for you to run for political office. I'm all about peace, tolerance, and helping your fellow man. I'm sorry to say tha you don't meet any of those qualifications. You are a lying, cheating, greedy, self-centered weasel. You should stick to crappy pizza.

December 2, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  16. chedar

Run Run Run Cain. Take Newt along with you. Otherwise, he will next to leave. You might as well tag him along with you.

December 2, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. yeahalright

God's plan. Such stunning arrogance.

December 2, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  18. Mike

What a dork. Used to be when people claimed to hear God speaking to them, they wound up in rubber rooms. Bush blamed his decision to attack, invade and occupy Afghanistan and Iraq, now Cain is trying to blame God for his decision to become a Koch brother puppet. Dork I say!

December 2, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  19. Michael

For someone to say that their path in life is God's plan is to say 'I don't want to take responsibility for my own actions' and therefore I should not be held accountable for anything bad that I have done.
    Cain is the one who made ALL of the decisions he made in his life and with and without his wife. God had nothing to do with it. Cain chose and created his own path in life as we all do. That's the whole point. God may have open that very first door, but once you go through it the rest is up to you. So, Cain...where'd that path you chose lead you to?

December 2, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  20. Rev. J.

Methinks he takes the name of God in vain, selfishly and arrogantly. Repent, Mr. Cain. Be humble.

December 2, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. Chaps55

Many good comments here. I'm sure Cain is on his way out the door. Of the election,and his marriage. I have a strong belief in God,but these GOPers are nutty, espousing their religion in the name of politics and sinful (and criminal) behaviors.

December 2, 2011 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. LaPlut

Typical republican; they can never take responsibility for their actions.

December 2, 2011 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  23. floyd

Was it God's plan for him to harass and grope women and not be faithful to his wife? This man makes me sick.

December 2, 2011 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Harry Wreckdom

@ Jamie from Riverside:

Right on!!! How can all of these clowns claim the same thing??????

December 2, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  25. Sharon

I believe Herman Cain when he says God told him to run, but it may not have been for the reason Cain thinks. Who knows that this may have been the way God chose to "out" him for his bad behavior. As we have seen with other highly visible people, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. It has been Mr. Cain's hubris that will be his downfall. Jeff from Huntington Beach, I believe that it is for people like you that God makes a spectacle of people like Cain. Do not allow people like him to make you lose faith in God. God is and will continue to deal with Cain who does not appear to yet accept responsibility for his actions.

December 2, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |