Cain journey part of 'God's plan'
December 2nd, 2011

Cain journey part of 'God's plan'

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Businessman Herman Cain made one campaign stop in South Carolina before returning to Atlanta to meet with his wife and family after a wave of allegations have threatened his presidential campaign.

Political activist Jamie Harrison tried to rally the audience before Cain walked out. "So what do you want him to do? Run, run, run?"

The crowd yelled, "Run, run, run!"

Political Notebook: CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini discuss Herman Cain’s troubles, the ground work Newt Gingrich has yet to do, and employment numbers. Also, a Democratic pollster weighs in on the fight over extending a payroll tax holiday.

Cain appeared to be in good spirits as he delivered his stump speech. He told about 200 people gathered that his journey is part of God's plan.

"There is God's plan but you see, God doesn't tell you his plan for you until he believes you are ready for those parts of the plan. So I believe that I'm on this journey, I'm on this journey for a reason and I don't look back," said Cain.

After he acknowledged "some challenges," Cain said he will address the future of his presidential campaign Saturday at the scheduled opening of his new Georgia campaign headquarters. He said the announcement will "clarify …exactly what the next steps are" for the campaign.

"I am reassessing because of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first, I got to take that into consideration," said Cain. "I don't doubt the support that I have, just look at the people that are here. We have to look at what happens to contributions and we got to reevaluate the whole strategy."

Cain urged his supporters to stay informed. "Because there's a lot of garbage out there on the internet. There's a lot of garbage out there on TV. There's a lot of garbage out there about me, don't you know," he said as the crowd cheered. "There's a lot of misinformation out there so you have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself."

After the town hall, people walked up to Cain and said, "Don't give up on us" and "Don't quit Herman!"

As he was getting into his SUV two men shouted, "Herman, America needs you. Don't stop" and "Think of our grandchildren this weekend."

This was the candidate's third visit to Rock Hill. Cain has four paid staffers in South Carolina with its headquarters in Columbia. South Carolina Director William Head said they are in the process of opening three field offices in Aiken, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.

Head said, "Obviously the campaign moves full steam ahead."

Also see:

Ginger White: 'My heart bleeds' for Gloria Cain

Cain's attorney: Presidential candidates 'better be careful'

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • South Carolina
  1. indyreader

When all else fails – prostrate yourself, ostentatiously – to Gawd, and have faith that it will turn off the critical thinking abilities of a large number of voters.
    Cripes, how much stupider can things get?

December 2, 2011 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. Swamp Thing

I hope Hermain Cain does not become forgotten like me.... Whatcha say God? Shall I rise out from the swamp to reclaim my past glory?

December 2, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. maximusvad

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

December 2, 2011 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. Whodoneit

God does not takes sides. When will the fanatics finally get that. Why would he? For entertainment value? For sitting back to watch us war each other? I pity those that are mesmerized to give these snake oil salespeople their hard-earned money and support. God said "you are, therefore be and let's see how you fair in the winds..." not verbatum but that's the gest of it...

December 2, 2011 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. Robin Bray

If you haven't been to Rock Hill you have not missed anything. Only recently have you been able to get booze in a restaurant on a sunday. It's where those who can't afford to live in Charlotte end up. And you can live cheaply in Charlotte. So what does that tell you about the class of people who live in Rock Hill?

December 2, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Ron

Republicans just love to talk about God and how God spoke to them. I wonder when the American people are going to get fed up with all of these hypocrites?

December 2, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. Real world

I prefer John Belushi's mission from God.

December 2, 2011 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. JasonP

Run, run, run Herman!! As far away as you can!! Goodbye!

December 2, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  9. lgny

"God's plan..." Don't forget that in Exodus, the 10 plagues were also God's plan. He should not assume that his running for President is a good thing.

Then again, he thinks running for president is following God's orders but then states that his family comes first. For a Baptist minister, I'd think that God comes first.

Or.... Cain is making it all up as he goes along.

December 2, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. mack

God told Cain to run so that he could teach him a lesson.

December 2, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. John

This Is the way the Republican think a good Christan Is. I will Cheat on the wife and be the biggest crook I can, and when that don't work than LIE.

December 2, 2011 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. Blayze Kohime

He better run run run as many women as he has angry at him.

December 2, 2011 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  13. Reverend Horton

even a God fearing Christian as myself is highly confused as to which of the 3 ( to date) candidates God has told to run, that I should vote for. but the chuckles from all 3 have certainly lifted my Holiday Spirtis

December 2, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  14. kebos

There is no such thing as God. Grow up, get over it and learn to walk on your own two feet, people!

December 2, 2011 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  15. harleydavidson

you Cain attackers are racists.

December 2, 2011 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  16. lsteel

Mr. Cain made his big announcement about his big announcement to get the media in a lather. He's not going to quit. That would be unmanly, like putting broccoli on your pizza! Cain has a new campaign headquarters, some new staff, and has never apologized for anything. These are not the signs of someone about to quit.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to his announcement, in spite of my expectation that he will speak for his wife, accuse some un-named "them" of persecution, and talk about some plan of his that I will not understand. But he'll do it in an entertaining way!

December 2, 2011 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

The man is delusional ...

December 2, 2011 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. Frank

It should be clear by now that God does not have a plan for each and every human being (Christian or not) but she sure does like a good laugh!

December 2, 2011 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. Frank!

Apparently, Herman comes before his wife. Still, I wonder if he came before that lady in Atlanta. After all, she said he was a generous man.

**********************************

December 2, 2011 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  20. FIELD1stSGT

Bu they meant run like hell to get the hades out of the political affairs like Obama will have to do.

December 2, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

I think putting Cain out there as a candidate, when he's so obviously unqualified and dumb, is all part of the GOP's plan to split the black vote, like they tried to split the women's vote when they foisted the Quitta from Wasilla on us.

And like Palin, Cain's narcissism, ego and media-ho'ing knows no bounds. The GOP's latest Frankenstein has risen from the workbench, broken free of its chains and is terrorizing the villagers!

Karl Rove must be having kittens by about now ....

December 2, 2011 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. Mark Taylor

You can be sure that when a politician starts talking about how "godly" they are trying to press your buttons so that you will press their button on election day. Read the Gospels. The only time Jesus got in faces of others – and he did that from time-to-time, was when he encounter those who claimed to be "godly". We have a lot of "Pharisee" types in this country these days. There is nothing wrong with faith or religion, in fact it is wonderful... until it's used for political gain and power. What a shame a few have turned so many others into cynical skeptics by trying to co-opt God for their own agenda and being pathetic examples.

December 2, 2011 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  23. Rob in MO

Adultery is part of God's plan. What a hypocrite. This guy needs to spend the rest of his life in a monestary, repenting.

December 2, 2011 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  24. Palin 2112

If Cain handled the country the way he has handled this crisis we would surely be screwed.

December 2, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. mandarax

"It's not me, it's just God's plan" – the last refuge of fools and scoundrels.

December 2, 2011 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |