On Leno’s show, Perry laughs off recent gaffes
December 2nd, 2011

On Leno’s show, Perry laughs off recent gaffes

(CNN) - Rick Perry, who's no stranger to poking fun at himself, made light of his recent mishaps in an appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” Thursday night.

Asked about his debate "brain freeze," in which he forgot the third of three agencies he would cut as president, the GOP presidential candidate joked: "Well, you know, one, two, and then - uh, uh. It happens, man. Let me tell you."

Perry said it wasn't the only time he's made a mistake.

"Every now and then I call my dogs by the wrong name,” he said. "I get that wrong, too."

The Texas governor also made headlines this week when he flubbed the nation's voting age at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, telling students in the audience he'd appreciate their vote if they were turning 21 by Nov. 12.

The official voting age is 18, and the election next year takes place on Nov. 6.

Perry told Leno he was thinking of the drinking age at the time he made the comment.

"You've got to have an excuse, right? So that's mine, and I'm sticking to it," Perry said, laughing.

This isn't the first late-night show gig for Perry. He made fun of himself while presenting the "Top Ten List" on the "Late Show with David Letterman" the night after he failed to recall the name of the third agency.

He also bookended his appearance on "The Tonight Show" Thursday with commercials that aired in Iowa, again mocking the gaffe and arguing that Americans weren't looking for the "slickest" debater.

Leno thanked Perry for being a good sport and providing the comedian during the campaign "with a lot of material."

"It's what I do," Perry joked.

Filed under: 2012 • Jay Leno • Rick Perry
  1. Chuck

Listen up, America.....with the unemployment rate going down, let us insure that Obama stays in office with your vote next year. Allowing any one of those Republican clown candidates to take a foothold again in the White House would spell DOOM for all of us as well as Republicans winning a majority of the Congressional seats.. REMEMBERING THE RECENT CHENEY/BUSH CATASTOPHIC YEARS IN OFFICE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN NEXT YEAR'S PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. VOTE SMART.

December 2, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. lance

America certainly does not need another Texas governor running the country.

December 2, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. Jimbo

I wonder why when I have commented simply a fact...it is not posted. Just because I do not think our President is perfect, doesn't give the screener of this site the right to delete my comments. I stand by what I quoted... "I have visited the 57 states of America." by then candidate Pres. B. Obama......is not that much different than current candidate R. Perry "...the third..uh...oops." My point is that we are too quick to call someone stupid. If a first grader knows there are 50 states, we can overlook fatigue and a misspoken "57". Get over it....

December 2, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  4. steven harnack

Nancy, you don't want a leader, what you want is a half hour sitcom.

December 2, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Psychologist

So, Nancy, does Rick Perry's no-whiner qualities, as you so eloquently detail them, make him presidential material? How is it great , Nancy, that Texas has one of the worst ranking state healthcare systems with lots of minimum wage jobs? Both and Rick desperately need a formal education and become more wordly.

December 2, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. JR White Bear Lake MN.

To bad Leno ain't as funny.

December 2, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. art vandolay

Like a republican governor from Texas-will ever have a chance to become president again. LMAO. -Art

December 2, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Tyler Durden

Now the rest of the world can see just how brilliant our 12 year governor is. The job requires an INTELLIGENT person, not a puppet of special interests. Problem is there are enough uninformed voters that buy his line...

December 2, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. Dumb is the New Smart

"You mean, it's the RED button I wasn't supposed to push? Oh well, it happens."

December 2, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. dennis dehart

If Rick Perry looked like Ron Paul he wouldn't have a chance at the Republican nomination. Looks is all he has and that hardly qualifies him to be president. But I guess that is enough for most uninformed voters.

December 2, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. BinVA

Forget Perry, Cain, and Bachmann. This business of electing a President is serious stuff. We don't have time to waste on these clowns. Let's have a serious discussion of the relative merits/positions of Romney, Gingrich, and perhaps Ron Paul and John Huntsman

December 2, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Jim Fawcett

It might be funny on Leno, but serious business as president. We don't need a buffoon like Perry in the white House, or anywhere near it for that matter.

December 2, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  13. Big Al

Only Rick Perry can deliver us from Evil! He is the only one to save our salvation.

So I say to all Christians, arm yourself with your bibles and lets march!

December 2, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. Man DeLorean

Self-deprecating good natured humor is the only antidote for foot-in-mouth disease, but you can only drink from that well so many times. Perry's reached his limit. One more screwup and even his supporters will have to be convinced he's not Presidential material.

December 2, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  15. stranger in an increasingly strange land

I'm certain the rest of the world finds it funny that the man who wants to be in control of our military is stupid. The brightest thing Perry does is to defuse the problem with humor. But, does anyone really believe that the office of the President should be run by a "Hee-Haw" candidate. - "I messed up. Ain't that funny Y'all?" should not be a qualifier for a person who makes life and death decisions for our military personnel.
    I have relatives in the conflicts we are now fighting. I don't want to have to bury somebody because Perry is in office.

December 2, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  16. Cedar Rapids

Its almost as funny as the ad he ran last night where he basically said 'vote for because I believe in god'

December 2, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  17. DN

This isn't a joking matter. It could be catastrophic if Perry were too commit a gaffe when dealing with a foreign leader.

December 2, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  18. Mike

Rick can laugh all he wants, but he still has zero business standing on the world stage facing off with people like Vladimir Putin.

December 2, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  19. Muldoon in Ohio

Perry is becoming the GOP class clown – everybody likes to have him around, but he'll never be elected prom king.

December 2, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. Me in MN

Okay, so PArry's the TX version of a male Michele Bachmann. So sad.

December 2, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. jk from MN

This country is still trying to recover from the last Texas governor to be President; America really can't afford to make the same mistake twice. Ignorance is not bliss, Governor.

December 2, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. OpinionsMatter

I would appreciate if people would vote for him on November 12th, too ... since it's 6 days after the election and wouldn't cause any harm.

December 2, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. funnyboy

Does he know how many states we have? Obama didn't, even with a teleprompter. I'd say he'd be better than what we have now.

December 2, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. Noodle Nose Johnson

Perry has found his calling – being the butt of jokes for late night comedians.

December 2, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. John

It fun when he joke about him self being so Dumb. But I wouldn't want a President that can't reminder anything as he said. If you ask me this guy need Help. I can't even Believe this guy has been GOV has long has he had.

December 2, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |