Perry focuses on faith in Iowa ad
December 2nd, 2011

Perry focuses on faith in Iowa ad

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry spotlights his faith in a new ad released in Iowa Friday.

"I'm Rick Perry, I'm not ashamed to talk about my faith," he says directly to viewers.

The 30-second spot is centered on what Perry calls the element that "drives you, how you make decisions" as a presidential candidate.

"Now some liberals say that faith is a sign of weakness. Well, they're wrong. I think we all needs God's help," he says in a blue button-down and tan jacket against a white background.

Perry's statewide ad on faith is released the same day businessman Herman Cain, a rival for the 2012 GOP nomination for president who's currently embroiled in allegations that he carried on a 13-year extramarital affair with an Atlanta-area woman, releases his own ad in the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

"America's greatest leaders have been people of strong faith, strong values," Perry tells Iowa audiences, "That makes for a strong America."

Filed under: 2012 • Faith • Rick Perry
  1. Rudy NYC

from the article:

-----------------–
    That's a lie. Liberals do not say that. Have you ever heard anyone say anything like that? No one has knocked Gov. Perry for his faith. He's been knocked for the faith that he's put into his racist partners in faith.

December 2, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Rubes fall for it everytime.

December 2, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Expat American

Republican panic button: when you message is in the port-a-john....it's high time to start talking 'bout going to church!

December 2, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Expat American

Republican panic button: when your message is in the port-a-john....it's high time to start talking 'bout going to church!

December 2, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. lgny

That's wonderful. Iowa, please elect him your minister.

It's a good religious pitch but says nothing to his incompetent political leadership.

December 2, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Rev. W.

Sorry sir, but this is about a secular election NOT about your faith. And get it right, liberals do not believe faith is weakness. Quite the contratry. Your statement is a prejudiced distortion and one you have no right to make. In other words, you aren't fit for national poliltics or preaching. Go back to TX.

December 2, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Rick, you cannot pray away stupid. Go home to Texas, where 39% still love you even though you are an international embarrassment.

December 2, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Kris Craig

Liberals have faith, too. We have faith in honesty. We have faith in kindness. We have faith in rational thought. We have faith in using logic to solve problems. We (sometimes) have faith in our loved ones. We have faith in the principles of freedom and Democratic government.

So please, stop using the word "faith" as a euphemism for "religion," as if anyone who doesn't belong to your religion doesn't have faith or morals. I don't have "faith" in the story that the Earth was created by a magical wizard 5,000 years ago or the story that the first woman, who was apparently cloned from a guy's rib, got tricked by a talking snake into eating a cursed apple that doomed humanity until a magic carpenter appeared and took the fall for it.

As a liberal and an Agnostic, I have faith in principles, not fairy tales. Religion does not have an exclusive claim on the word "faith."

I don't care what a candidate's religion is (or isn't). It doesn't say anything about their ability to lead others and critically evaluate and solve problems. People who vote for a candidate based solely on their religion are, in my opinion, right up there with people who vote for a candidate based on how s/he looks in a suit.

December 2, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Mikey

Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.

December 2, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. davec.0121

That's because he forgot the other two things he was going to talk about.

December 2, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. v_mag

Perry says, "Now some liberals say that faith is a sign of weakness."

Oh really? Who, for instance? Faith, as you exercise it, is not so much a sign of weakness as it is a tool to use against the weak-minded.

December 2, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. vatoloke

And a certain sect from your faith also charms snakes and speak in tongues.

December 2, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. Squigman

Separate church and state, or never get elected. This is what should happen. Nothing else.

December 2, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. made up my mind

Wow!!!! You remembered your lines!!! Good job. You get a cookie along with all the liberals, conservatives and tea party drinkers, mickey mouse club, women for Cain. Wait and what was the other one called? Ooops! I forgot.

December 2, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. The Greedy Old Pigs are phony "christian" deathcult

I have faith that every time a GOBP deathcult candidate says the word "faith" it really means:

"I have no good intentions or plans to help average Americans, but I really want to win so I can stay in the good graces of my 1% masters. Therefore, I will use this word "faith" to trigger your rabid and irrational willingness to place your version of "God" above all others and use your irrationality to convince you I'm just like you. Even though I'm really not. In real life I couldn't stand being you."

December 2, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. Anne

Thank God the Buddha brought the teaching and practice of mindful loving-kindness to humanity, something Teapublicans would be wise to look into instead of their constant holier-than-thou attitude.

December 2, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Dan5404

He came there because he doesn't have a prayer.

December 2, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I think we all needs God's help"

...with verb conjugation apparently.

December 2, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"America's greatest leaders have been people of strong faith, strong values,"

Correct actually. And the proof: they weren't the types wearing it on their sleeves and preaching it on the street corners and trying to write it into our secular laws. One would think that the Krischun Nashun freeks would know their Bible enough to know all about what Jesus said about the peopel who profess their faith loudest and most forcefully (and no, I'm not going to teach you by telling you here...go do your freekin homework).

December 2, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Rob in MO

Faith is the last refuge of scoundrals. He certainly cannot focus on his intelligence or positive accomplishments or ideas.

December 2, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. azmary

People who believe in God would not allow the execution of other people. It is a person telling God he /she is smarter than God and can choose who has the right to live or die.

December 2, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Sniffit

""I think we all needs God's help"

...with verb conjugation apparently."

But hey...at least our childrens is learning!

December 2, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

"I think we all needs God's help," he says in a blue button-down and tan jacket against a white background."

Am I missing the "blue button-down tan jacket against a white background" biblical significance?

December 2, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

This buffoon held a prayer rally in Houston this past summer. We ended up with friggin' wildfires. He's a total embarrassment and arguably most likely below the 98th percentile in intelligence quotient. I'm sorry, ya'll.

December 2, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |