Gingrich and Trump team up
December 5th, 2011

Gingrich and Trump team up

New York, New York (CNN) – Republican presidential frontrunner Newt Gingrich teamed up with mogul Donald Trump Monday and questioned his opponents who have refused to participate in the Trump-moderated debate in late December.

Texas Congressman Ron Paul has been Trump's most vocal critic, says his involvement in the conservative Newsmax magazine debate could hurt the Republican Party.

Following their meeting at Trump Tower, the two appeared together at a media availability. Gingrich weighed in after "The Apprentice" host dismissed Paul for having "zero chance of getting the nomination."

"I'm actually surprised that one of my friends would have said that. This is a country which elected a peanut farmer to the presidency, it elected an actor who made two movies with a chimpanzee to the presidency," said Gingrich, referring to former presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan.

Gingrich is the fifth known candidate to meet with Trump. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, businessman Herman Cain, and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann have all paid Trump a visit at least once, with Bachmann meeting with Trump four times.

Gingrich said he wants Trump's endorsement but did not ask him, "not yet," because Trump said he will not make a decision until after the Dec. 27th debate in Iowa.

However, in an apparent effort to deflect criticism from his recent comments about poor children, Gingrich did ask Trump to help inner city kids in New York.

"I've asked him to take one of the poorest schools in New York and basically offer at least 10 apprenticeships to kids from that school to get them into the world of work and get them into an opportunity to earn money and get them into the habit of showing up and realizing that effort gets rewarded and that America is all about the work ethic," said Gingrich.

"I thought it was a great idea," said Trump. "We call it an apprenticeship, and we all know about 'The Apprentice,' so we're going to be doing, we're going to be picking 10 young wonderful children and we're going to make them apprenti. We're going to have a little fun with it."

In a television interview Monday morning, Trump defended controversial comments Gingrich recently made about poor children.

"Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works, so they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of 'I do this and you give me cash.' Unless it's illegal," Gingrich said recently.

"It wasn't maybe politically correct, but it happens to be the truth, and I think one of the reasons he's surging, he's like a rocket ship because of the fact that he says it like it is," said Trump, appearing Monday on NBC's "Today."

– Follow Shawna Shepherd on Twitter: @ShepherdCNN

Filed under: Donald Trump • New York • Newt Gingrich
  1. Greg

Gingrich had already lost my support earlier with his statements about making the Patriot Act permanent and extending it's authority. Even though I couldn't support him because of that fundamental and very important difference of opinion, I respected him. Until now. If any campaign staffers are scanning these comments to get an idea of public opinion, pay attention. We don't respect Trump. Seeking his endorsement weakens a candidate to many of us. Huntsman and Paul both gained enormous respect with me. One of them is probably going to get my vote, a vote that belonged to Gingrich just a couple weeks ago.

December 5, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. normajean @ verizon ,com

These two men are probably the two in the whole world I wouldn't trust to mow my lawn. Neither one has ever shown signs of integrity,honor, decency nor concern for anyone but themselves.Trump is a big "smart mouthed" blowhard and Gingrich is right there with him. Gingrich has a history that doesn't belong in WASHINGTON AT ALL LET ALONE THE WHITE HOUSE....... GET LOST CLOWNS!!!!
    !

December 5, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Joe Schmoe, the practical effect of libertariansim is dog-eat-dog. Libertarians say that people have the right to discriminate if they choose, and then fall back on some wonderfully idealisistic notion of people behaving virtuously "...if only the government would get out of the way": bull excrement. Given the opportunity, you would see chaos erupt, which is the alst theing the Founders wanted. Libertarians are just as paternalistic as the Founders were, and they would grasp the reality of power even faster than either the GOP or the Democrats have, since they believe in purity over doing anything.

December 5, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Canuck

"Gingrich said he wants Trump's endorsement"

Why????

December 5, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. DaveC

Every time I think Gingrich is getting a little bit smarter he goes and does this nonsense. As a former die hard republican I ask a simple question: How and the heck can any moderate republican with any sort of brain vote for any of these clowns? Anyone who panders to Trump would immediately lose my vote.

December 5, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. pacrat

Dumbo and Dumbbel – Gingrich and Trump! While they may deserve eachother, the country doesn't deserve such mediocre people in a presidential campaign regardless of Party! Is this the best we can do in the entire USA? Sad!

December 5, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. kayla

beavis and butt head

December 5, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. ST

Newt kiss your frontrunner bye. I thought you were smart enough to understand the pattern. Anyone who meets Trump, immediately as they are back, everything falls apart. From Palin, Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Romney.

December 5, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Each of these clowns wearing a shirt

December 5, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. BillZ

A match made in Heaven (or the other place?)!

December 5, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Disliken2evils

I can name alot of things wrong with this candidate, but the list is to long..

December 5, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. grahame rhodes

Just another reason not to vote Republican

December 5, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. TomNPitt

Newt and Trump know a lot about hard work and showing up every day to get the job done. They both show up at the airport about 9:00, get on their private jet, go to a speaking engagement, babble on about what they believe about themselves, get paid 60 thousand dollars, fly home on the private jet, go to a nice dinner, and they're home at 6:00. Nobody in the Hood could do that job. It's just too taxing!!

December 5, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. Noodle Nose Johnson

"it elected an actor who made two movies with a chimpanzee to the presidency"

Trust me Newt. We'd rather have the chimpanzees as President over you.

December 5, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. WhereIsPalin

And I thought the GOP had already hit the bottom.

December 5, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. Al-NY,NY

hey...they edited my comment! Their shirts read "I'm with Stupid"

December 5, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. ..a laurel and hardy handshake..

Well Ollie, what are we going TO GIVE NEWT AND DONNIE FOR GIFTS ? OH, AND WHAT ABOUT CONGRESS ?
    Well Stan, for NEWT – A SHINY NEW ELECTRIC ROCKING CHAIR.
    for DONNIE – A BRIGHT SHINY NEW HELMET (THAT LOOKS LIKE HIS SWEEPING, SWEPT HAIR).
    and FOR CONGRESS, THE NICE SHINY LUMP OF COAL........................SET IN DIAMOND CLUSTERS.
    Say Ollie, DOESN'T CONGRESS GET A BUNCH OF GIFTS FROM THEIR ROBBIES ?
    THAT'S LOBBIES, STAN......................................BUT THERE'S VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE.

December 5, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

"They have no habit of 'I do this and you give me cash.' Unless it's illegal,"

As offensive as that remark is, it exceeds the really bad remark Gingrich made about child labor laws calling them, "Stupid." Newt thinks we need to deregulate child labor laws. Let's put the above remark into the context in which it belongs, so that kids can replace the union janitor. So that kids can work the graveyard shift in a coal mine, replacing more union thugs. Newt was trying to take us down the road where drives home the point that we can replace cheap immigrant labor with kids.

December 5, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Not Impressed

I'm surprised to see anyone still taking Trump seriously after the Obama birth certificate debacle. He helped Obama cover up the fact that he doesn't have one. Then to call Ron Paul a joke is just too much. If this is how Newsmax works, I believe I'll be ignoring not only this debate, but Newsmax altogether.

December 5, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Mr. Amused

My God. What a farce. Is this really the best there is to offer? It has become a circus of embarrassing nutcases and has beens. The complete lack of humility is astounding, rivaled by the total lack of morals and scruples, will assure one thing. Another term for President Obama, like it or not.

December 5, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

If I were a GOP candidate I would point out that Trump must honor his challenge to President Obama to produce a birth certificate and produce his financial records as a condition of my participation.

December 5, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Regis990

Add Sy Sperling to the mix and next thing you know we're the United State of Hair Club for Men.

December 5, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. Big John

I don't think I can take anymore of this election, and the primaries don't even START for another month...
    Let Trump have his little bit of showboating, and when all the candidates who are going to attend show up, drug em and tattoo their forheads with a Trump logo. Just sv any morons out there even considering voting for ANY of these fools just might realize they are all bought by Trump and the other rich boys.

December 5, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Mr. Amused

How many times has trump been bankrupt? Do you really want him tinkering with the economy?

December 5, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Dave

Look at the two globalist stooges!!

December 5, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |