Gingrich: I helped Romney get rich
December 6th, 2011

Gingrich: I helped Romney get rich

(CNN) - Republican presidential contender Newt Gingrich stumbled upon a new campaign line Tuesday during an appearance on CNBC. The former House speaker came to the conclusion that policies he shepherded through the House of Representatives led to GOP rival Mitt Romney’s personal wealth.

“I was part of (the late Rep.) Jack Kemp's little cabal of supply-siders who, largely by helping convince (President Ronald) Reagan and then working with Reagan, profoundly changed the entire trajectory of the American economy in the nineteen-eighties,” Gingrich said. “You could make the argument that I helped Mitt Romney get rich because I helped pass the legislation.”

CNBC host Larry Kudlow asked if Gingrich had ever made that argument before, prompting the White House hopeful to say: "I am as of right this minute, it just occurred to me."

Gingrich continued, “He (Romney) should be thanking me because I did the macroeconomic things necessary to make his career possible."

Team Gingrich said the comments on CNBC were an "attempt at humor."

Tuesday wasn’t the first time Gingrich has touted his role in creating "supply-side economics" during his tenure as House speaker. He made similar remarks last week on Fox News Channel, saying he “helped Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp develop supply-side economics.”

Gingrich served as a Republican congressman from Georgia throughout the 1980s, during which time many Republicans sided with then-President Reagan on lowering income and capital gains taxes with the hopes of spurring production of goods and services.

Mitt Romney helped found the private equity firm Bain Capital in 1984, and went on to make tens of millions of dollars by investing and restructuring companies.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. VoteForCain

If you grant Gingrich this accomplishment, why does GOP have trouble with Gore creating the Internet?

December 6, 2011 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. Jen

Wow. Just think about all the people he can brag about making poor.

December 6, 2011 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. The LONE OKIE

What about Voodoo economics?

December 6, 2011 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Thomas

Its all about the money , get rich , ego , power , control . .

Rock stars with no talent !

December 6, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  5. Don WV

People ask about Obama's birth certificate, maybe we should ask for Newt's birth certificate! Anyone who would say this Can't be American!
    “The American challenge in leading the world is compounded by our Constitution… either we are going to have to rethink our Constitution, or we are going to have to rethink our process of making decisions.” Newt Gingrich

December 6, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  6. Jeff Brown in Jersey

A legend in his own mind...

December 6, 2011 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  7. Thomas

” Gingrich said. “You could make the argument that I helped bring down wall street and make a few rich .

December 6, 2011 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  8. Scott Smith

What is next from Newt, he told George Lucas about a little story that takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

December 6, 2011 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. Concerned Citizen

Newt made Romney rich and Al Gore invented the internet.

December 6, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  10. Tough USA

Newt gave Flipper some Freddie money.

Newt is Filth at best

December 6, 2011 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  11. Conrack

Keep flapping your gums, Newt. You are geting farther and farther out there every day. Pretty soon you will be telling Fox News that it was you, and not Thomas Jefferson, who was the principal author of the Declaration of Independence.

December 6, 2011 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  12. Pathetic

Newt is so bogus. Next thing you know he'll claim credit for inventing the Internet.

December 6, 2011 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. T'sah from Virginia

►“You could make the argument that I helped Mitt Romney get rich because I helped pass the legislation.”◄

I am ROTFLMAO........that's how they ALL got rich and how they will continue to get rich. They talk about letting foreclosures reach rock bottom so the RICH can buy it up then “rent" it out – while those who live there are “Kicked to the Curb” and become homeless!!! The games the RICH play!!!

I love this – the RIGHT falls and the far-RIGHT is DEAD!!! The far-RIGHT will NEVER penetrate the Right/Middle Right/Middle/Middle Left or LEFT.................PERIOD………. To Win a Presidency!!

Obama 2012!!!

December 6, 2011 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  14. steve

"I am as of right this minute, it just occurred to me."

Do we really want a president who, spontaneously, makes claims about whatever the current subject happens to be? Oh, by the way. We might need to take a look at the legality of ANY law the newt was in favor of.

December 6, 2011 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. Phil

and he invented the Internet

December 6, 2011 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  16. Oh MyOHMy

Insider Tips to get rich. I make you rich, you make me rich, and to He..LL with the rest. That's all they can talk about.

Honestly, anybody whose campaign banner reads "newt2012"... can you think of a funnier, slimier name? Well, at least it doesn't say "nu.de2012", although it sounds like it and gives the impression that its name sake is in the .. you know, no clothes on, fillandering, is in the Newt... Hahaha

December 6, 2011 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. Huffackis

No, I think it was Romney who helped Romney get rich. If anything, Romney was successful IN SPITE of the meddling actions of the philandering-former-speaker-of-the-house-thrown-out-for-ethics-violations.

December 6, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  18. Winston Smith

so by his own admission...Newt Gingrich admitted to helping the rich get richer...so what has he done for the poor?

December 6, 2011 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Huffackis

And to think that he came up with that wonderful idea ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

December 6, 2011 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  20. Shawn Irwin

Considering the direction the economy has gone since then, I'nm not so sure that is something he should be bragging about.

December 6, 2011 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. steph in TX

If he wants to claim responsibility for the rich getting richer then it stands to reason that he can also claim credit for policies that have put most of our finances in the crapper. Thanks a lot, Newt!

December 6, 2011 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  22. Reggie from LA

And there you have it. He said it himself. Did he say "I inspired Mitt to work harder and smarter to brand his name?" No he did not!! Did he say "Mitt, like so many of us, used his business skills and the power of a workforce to become rich?" HE DID NOT!! What he said was that he helped changed the rules and as a result, Romney became wealthy. Folks, if you are not getting it thru your thick skulls after he just told you how the rich often become richer, we will get what YOU deserve for supporting a candidate...a party, that operates like that. They do stuff in our faces and we grin stupidly and "lemmingly" keep them rolling in riches, pay for their lobbyists and make laws to keep it that way. Get it? No?

December 6, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. Raja

I would like Newt to be our next president so everyone can be rich. Right now I m hopeless

December 6, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. jeff

Wait, so teh Newt is actually admitting to working to create teh expanded income gap we see today among us and teh 1%?

Does he really think that's a GOOD think to lay claim to?

December 6, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  25. yogi

The more I see his face and listen to his pompous, quasi intelectual remarks, the more I think he is a reincarnation of Napoleon. Power at any cost, and the money follows. Ethics? that is not too convenient. How in the world can this man be on top in the GOP polls? What a sad state the GOP electorate is in, they are responsible for this freak show.

December 6, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |