Bookstore episode with child was 'reprehensible,' says Bachmann
December 7th, 2011

Bookstore episode with child was 'reprehensible,' says Bachmann

(CNN) - GOP hopeful Michele Bachmann said Wednesday that a recent episode at a book signing, in which a young boy told her his gay mother "didn't need fixing," was "reprehensible."

"He obviously didn't want to say what he was put up to say, and I just think it's reprehensible when someone uses a little child to advance a political agenda," Bachmann said Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA."

"That's what was going on in a book signing. I'd never do that to one of my children, and it's really unfortunate that this poor, little boy was used in that way."

The incident, which was recorded and has since received millions of views on YouTube, took place at a bookstore in South Carolina. The Minnesota congresswoman said it was clear the boy's mother goaded him into speaking to her.

In the interview Wednesday, Bachmann stood firm in her opposition to same sex marriage.

"I'm very unashamed, I believe that we should all be allowed to have our opinions respected, and I stand for marriage and marriage between a man and a woman," Bachmann said.

As for the current GOP frontrunner Newt Gingrich, Bachmann said the former House speaker had distracted voters from his record using finely-tuned language.

"He's very good at co-opting the conservative language, and he's using that conservative language, but his record completely belies his language," Bachmann said. "No one has been more the epitome of a Washington, D.C., insider than Newt Gingrich. He's taken over $100 million for influence peddling in Washington, D.C. His office is located on the Rodeo Drive of Washington which is K Street, and he's taken over $1.6 million to influence senior Republicans to keep the big mess at Freddie Mac going."

Bachmann continued, listing a host of issues she disagreed with Gingrich on.

"He's wrong on immigration, he's wrong on global warming, he was wrong on the $700 billion bailout, he was wrong on Libya. On issue after issue, his positions have hardly been conservative. He's had more in common with Barack Obama than he has with our conservatives. That's not what we can have for our nominee."

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. John

Now Michele Bachmann can tell If the boy really wanted to say what he did or not. The little boy walk up to her and say It and I didn't see any body force him to say anything. Every day Michele Bachmann just prove that she shouldn't be running for President. I don't even think she even should be In Congress.

December 7, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Haha...schooled by a little kid. He probably said it to his mother at some point so she encouraged and prodded him to say it to Bachman's face, despite his shyness, etc. I say good for her: teach them early to stand up to bullies and defend themselves and those they love, no matter who the bully is or how important they think they are. That kid learned a valuable lesson about having the b@lls to speak truth to supposed power and should be proud of himself for making Bachman look like the bigotted fool she is.

December 7, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  3. AB

Hey, Ms. Bachmental, you mean kind of like running around ther country and screeching at every interview you do "I'm a foster mother to 23 children" , "I've fostered 23 children", "I'm the mother of 23 children". You mean that kind of
    reprehensible? Something tells me your "fostering" of all these children was more about the gubmint money you received than it was about building relationships with these children.

December 7, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. GRivera

What is even more "vicious" is a politician trying to take rights away from families who are tax paying citizens/Amercans! Touche, lady!

December 7, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. GRivera

What is worse...a child being raised to fight for equality...or one being used to hate others who are different? It cuts both ways.

December 7, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. Floe

Ms. Bachmann reeks of intolerance and holier-than-thouness. Christian humility and love-thy-neighbor as thyself don't exist in her.

December 7, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  7. patty

Then why doesn't she respect others opinions. I guess only hers count.

December 7, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. Tony

What credibility does this woman have with ANYONE at this point?

She sounds like a female Donald Trump...everyone is wrong about everything, except her. Really?

I don't believe the child was forced to say or do anything he didn't want to say or do...she is a racist and a bigot, and that doesn't go away just because she says it isn't so...

December 7, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Shannon

It was Michele, you should have told that little boy that his mother is just as good as any other American citizen, but instead you showed your hatred and bigotry, but we don't expect much else from you.

December 7, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. max

i hate backmann but using a child to promote an agenda... why? nobody who supports bachmanns position is going to see it as anything but what she sees it as. people like bachmann think gay people are an abomination.

December 7, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Yeah, kind of like what you're now doing by milking the story for every penny (and vote) you can, huh, Michele?

December 7, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  12. Bob

It is Bachman, with her hatred of gays, who is utterly reprehensible.

December 7, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  13. GI Joe

Kinda like her using her millions of foster kids to get people to believe she and her husband are OK. I wouldn't put a child in the home with Marcus.

December 7, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. Slightly Left of Center

"I'm very unashamed, I believe that we should all be allowed to have our opinions respected, blah, blah, blah....." Bachmann said.

That is, unless or until it differs from Shelly Bawkbawkbawkmann's. Then her crazy mind slams shut like a bear trap.

December 7, 2011 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. jm

I agree with Bachmann. It WAS reprehensible. I don't care what your views are on the issue, it was completely inappropriate. That said, I just agreed with Michelle Bachmann on something. Am I going to Hell? or Heaven? I'M SO CONFUSED.

December 7, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. jean2009

As I've said before Rick Perry summed up the whole Rethugliklan slate......oooops!

December 7, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

---------–
    What a hypocrite. IF she has so much respect for everyone's opinions, then why does she try so hard to impose her views on others through legislation.

December 7, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. Jamie from Riverside

Michelle is a delusional bigot. Just because the person who stood up to her hate is a kid, she automatically says he was put up to it.
    She should have been more embarrassed that she was caught hawking her blather book rather than campaigning.

December 7, 2011 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  19. Keith in Austin

Obviously, a liberal idiot that has some serious issues on parenting! Pretty predictable though.

December 7, 2011 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  20. Dale

Unless of course you disagree with the GOP montra.

December 7, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. BlindSquirrel

So glad this person is fading into the background. If she's curious about what's "reprehensible", she should consider her own candidacy for the presidency.

December 7, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. diridi

she is a total nonsense to the nation....ok,

December 7, 2011 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. it is sad

But she would not have a problem with one of her children telling a gay person they need fixing. She makes money off of that kind of thinking. She lies when she said she is respectful of others views, she ridicules and belittles anyone not agreeing with her.

December 7, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. Indy

There gos Bachmann agian, pretending she knows exactly what this child was thinking so I guess now she has become an expert in what this child was saying.There is no end to Bachmann's delusional behaviour

December 7, 2011 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Grow up already...

Yes, maybe it was... But so is your attitude, MIchele. Try fixing yourself first. That's plenty of work for you.

December 7, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |