New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate. "As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

The Perry campaign tells CNN the 30-second spot starts running in "heavy rotation" statewide in Iowa Wednesday. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar. The campaign says the ad will also run on cable television on the Fox News Channel.

The 30-second spot is slotted to run statewide starting Wednesday in Iowa. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

In an email release touting the new commercial, the Perry campaign lists headlines from mainstream, conservative, and religious reporting sites to illustrate what it calls the "Obama Administration's war on religion." Those examples include the president's move to stop defending the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and his exclusion of the word "God" from his Thanksgiving speech.

In an interview Wednesday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Perry said he stood by the ad.

"The administration is clearly sending messages to people of faith, and organizations of faith, that we're not going to support you with federal dollars," Perry said. "I'm very comfortable with that ad, for one thing. My faith is a part of me, and the values I learned in my Christian upbringing will affect my governing."

CNN has reached out to Obama's re-election team for reaction to the new Perry ad.

Perry is a Methodist and has not shied away from touting his faith during his presidential bid . In an earlier campaign commercial, Perry described himself as a "man of faith."

Social conservative voters are influential in race for the GOP presidential nomination, especially in Iowa and South Carolina, the first southern state to vote.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PSteinhauserCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. Thomas

Desperate Perry acting desperately !

Perry / Enron 2002

December 7, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. normajean @ verizon ,com

I said it months ago and I'll say it again. This man is his own worse enemy.....He just doesn't seem to know when to take those cowboy boots out of his mouth!!!!!

December 7, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Madtown

...or pray in school.
    ---
    Would Perry allow kids to prey to Zeus?

December 7, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. Carlton

Amen!

December 7, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. Texas Yahoo

That imbecile hasn't had the good sense to drop out and save himself from further embarrasment yet?

December 7, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. greg

The only war going on is the GOP war on science, free thinking, and intelligent discourse.

December 7, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. WDRussell

You can't be a Christian unless you are exactly like me.
    Perry the prevert, is an embarrassment to Christians.

December 7, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Me

Perry is still in the race?

December 7, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  9. gary

God is pretend, bible is silly ancient myth. Perry is delusional evangelical bible thumper .. and dangerous.

December 7, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. chill

What a load of crap. What war on religion? I'm a Christian and I don't see Obama doing anything contrary to my faith. Given Perry's War against the poor and down-trodden, I think he might want to look in the mirror when he makes those comments. The ban on school prayer has been with us since the 1960s I beleive, before Obama was even born. And when did the Conmstitution begin taking away rights because someone is gay?

December 7, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. kimberly

SHAME ON TEXAS for allowing this lunatic to be governor! how in the WORLD did he EVER become a leader???

December 7, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. sftommy

Shouldn't this guy have read the Bill of Rights before he decided to run for President?

Does America really want another "Old Testament" President thumping his bible looking for wars and crusades wherever he can find them or make them up? This guy even imagines and is apparently willing to create, a religious war here at home for votes.

GOP moralities keep leading to American mortalities.

December 7, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Dave

If religion is so great, how come the Bible Belt states are so much less-blessed than the rest of the country? Seriously. Down South we have higher infant mortality, worse poverty, worse education, worse health care, increased obesity, higher rates of cancer, higher crime rate, more unemployment, you name it. If there is a God, he's failing the people who worship him most.

Perhaps not so ironically, the Bible Belt states are also the ones who vote for Republicans most often. These are the results we get. If Jesus and the GOP were really the answer to America's problems, the red states would be leading the rest of the country, rather than lagging behind.

How much evidence do you need before you admit it to yourselves? Ignorant people like Rick Perry are the problem, not the solution.

December 7, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. There are no gods!

I wish Obama had declared a war on religion. There. Are. No. Gods!

December 7, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. Jack

This man is insane. There is no war on religion. He is freaking out of his mind. Is he interested in creating a Theocracy? This is a great country and we have the freedom to practice any religion we want. Get a grip, Perry.

December 7, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. Mark

would someone explain to this Texas idiot that the Constution says that you aren't required to be a Christian in this country

December 7, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. Wadde

The people deriding Rick Perry as hate filled- are only proving their ignorance on the issue. Why would Obama cancel the Christian day of prayer to then kneel in prayer witrh muslims??? When he himself CLAIMS to be a christian,I believe Obama to be a liar. I do believe in separation of state and religion- BUT ALL religions, not a select few.

December 7, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  18. Bci76102

I am not a Bible thumping right-winger nor a worse-yet liberal, but on this one point I have to agree with Perry.
    I grew up in a society where there was nothing wrong with my biology teacher having a Bible reading
    at the beginning of 1st period class. We grew up as well-adjusted individuals. I am thankful for my
    teacher's effort to develop a well-rounded student. I don't believe that we should teach creationism in
    the public schools. All of that said, if separation of state and church is working so well, why in hell is
    this country in such dire straights? We have moral guidelines!! I for one would never vote for Mr. Perry
    because he is a quack on so many other issues; just not this one.

December 7, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  19. Randy, San Francisco

Perry needs to re-read the US Constitution on the topics of separation of church and state and qualfications for the office of US President.

December 7, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. nightsun2k7

hahahahahahahaha....(holding ribs from laughing so hard).....those right wing wingnuts....how can they possibly run for office when they are so cut off from the rest of the world

December 7, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. DVoice12

Bush on steroids!!!!

December 7, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. Mike Texoma

Some Christians have got the Bible so pushed in one direction or another and so thoroughly spun to suit thiis purpose or that, that I doubt God woulld recognize it as His word, or recognize such Christians as real Christians. I have the feeling that self-righteous is not truly righteous in the sight of God.

December 7, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. cworr

There are so many people that have never read our Constitution. "Separation of Church and State" doesn't actually appear anywhere in the document. It is from a letter than Thomas Jefferson wrote. The Constitution simply says that Congress shall not establish an official religion NOR interfere with the practice of anyone's religion. That last part has apparently been discarded in the effort to chase religion from the public spaces. Also, the bill of rights including the establishment clause did not even apply to the states until the 14th Amendment.

December 7, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. nancy

Nobody questions Rick Perry’s sincerity when he speaks. One may not agree with him on a given topic- and I do disagree with him on some things- but when he states his position, there’s no doubt he’s calling it as he sees it. Considering the weasely-ness of Gingrich and Romney, this should be Perry’s greatest selling point.

December 7, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. Embarrased (again) in TX

Wow....tell me again, Rick – how does this create jobs?

December 7, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |