New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate. "As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

The Perry campaign tells CNN the 30-second spot starts running in "heavy rotation" statewide in Iowa Wednesday. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar. The campaign says the ad will also run on cable television on the Fox News Channel.

The 30-second spot is slotted to run statewide starting Wednesday in Iowa. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

In an email release touting the new commercial, the Perry campaign lists headlines from mainstream, conservative, and religious reporting sites to illustrate what it calls the "Obama Administration's war on religion." Those examples include the president's move to stop defending the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and his exclusion of the word "God" from his Thanksgiving speech.

In an interview Wednesday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Perry said he stood by the ad.

"The administration is clearly sending messages to people of faith, and organizations of faith, that we're not going to support you with federal dollars," Perry said. "I'm very comfortable with that ad, for one thing. My faith is a part of me, and the values I learned in my Christian upbringing will affect my governing."

CNN has reached out to Obama's re-election team for reaction to the new Perry ad.

Perry is a Methodist and has not shied away from touting his faith during his presidential bid . In an earlier campaign commercial, Perry described himself as a "man of faith."

Social conservative voters are influential in race for the GOP presidential nomination, especially in Iowa and South Carolina, the first southern state to vote.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PSteinhauserCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. Travis

Why is sex between consenting adults being tied to prayer in school and kids celebrating christmas; which is after all a pagan holiday. I think we have bigger problems facing us. Gay rights have taken the place of abortion as a headline and new cause.

December 7, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. freetime1

Rick Perry says "I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian" But may be he should be. Google bigotry in the bible (his anti gay statement is showing here lol) then google evil in the bible then google crazy stuff in the bible. I don't understand how any one who believes in the stuff you will read if you google these three things can not feel ashamed if they are Christian, because it is a really sick book that Christains follow!

December 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Tillie in Texas

Uh, Jesus said don't pray in public. You should go in your closet and close the door. Prayer in public schools would be against HIS word. Stop trying to force your personal beliefs on others or trying to make other Christians behave opposite of what HE commanded. How arrogant can a person be by claiming he knows what God wants anyone to do.

December 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. DIANA

This did it – forget abouat unemployment, foreign policy, the deficit – this is what's important to me. What matters to me is a candidates religion and how much that candidate promises to infringe on my right whether or nor I want to observe anya religion or my beliefs. Perry's got my vote!

Perry – the great white joke.

December 7, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. Denverly

Poor Governor Perry doesn't know the difference between a group of children choosing to pray in school (which is legal, duh) and a school that requires children to pray (which is illegal, duh).

December 7, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. dee

People like Perry, Bachman, Santorum, are only trying to incite the fringe lunatics of the Republican party by making statements such as this. Keep on spouting your hate guised in religious idiology and further try and divide our country.

December 7, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. Justin

Rick I use stem cells Perry plays the religion card.

December 7, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. jimboe

I'd like to know which religion he is referring to. Is Mr. Perry willing to back muslim voters and their religion?

I wonder what he would say about that.

December 7, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. Vince

To much religion in politics is a war on the Constitution.

December 7, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. John

Hang it up, Obama... you're just not cutting it.

December 7, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. Bertina

Misinformation will only get you so far with the sycophants who worship you, Perry.

December 7, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Jack

You have gotta kinda!

December 7, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Wraith

Sonnie2,
    You are, obviously, one of two things. Stupid, or ignorant. I'm hoping for ignorance, as ignorance can be enlightened. Why don't you try Googling what our forefathers thought of religion? And, I'm sorry, but the ideals that this nation were founded on were not strictly Christian ideals. The notions of honesty, honor, compassion, and being the best human one can be are core principles of *many* religions.

Though, with your allusion to, "Obama iz a moozlim," tripe, maybe you are just stupid...

December 7, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Pan3

What an idiot!

December 7, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. pprty

Imagine how surprised I was while reading this story when God spoke & told me to vote for Obama.

December 7, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Terry Moore

Separation of Church and State, Perry. Ever heard of it...??? It would indeed be nice if YOU could get off the "holy cloud". Religion has NO business interfering with the civic process. let me remind you : Religion is PRIVATE, while Public affairs are, well, PUBLIC.

December 7, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. macb

Oh, Rick, Rick, Rick...desperate men do desperate things. Why do Republicans always stoke the fires of hatred to gain power? Other Presidents who waged war on religion...Thomas Jefferson was really a deist, didn't really believe in organized religion, and (get this Gov Perry) cut up the New Testatment to delete all the parts that described miracles and pasted his own version together. And Abraham Lincoln who never belonged to an organized religion. And Ronald Reagan who never went to church. I would assume Rick would consider these subtle, but unmistakable acts of war on religion.

December 7, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. jaywingfuller

Ah yes, Rick Perry and his War on Reason, Logic, Common Sense, Science, Fact, Insight, Truth, Equality, Tolerance, Justice and the American Way. Rick Perry aka Lex Luthor, but without the Big Brain!

December 7, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. kevin

Texas...Really! Go ahead and leave our union already! And take your idiot cowboy wannabe's with you.! The people of Texas must be even dumber than Perry or Bush to elect them. America has used up your oil and now you are nothing more than a buffer to Mexico!

December 7, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. FactCheck

Rick Perry says "I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian"
    -----

Well Rick, I can tell you that other Christians are ashamed to admit that you are one.

December 7, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Howie

The founding fathers were – ATHEISTS. While agreeing with the moral compass of the bible, they specifically rejected all of the supernatural and spiritual aspects of it. This country was NOT founded on christian values. It was founded on HUMANISTIC values. We all – in and of ourselves and not due to some mythical sky fairy- have the ability for greatness. That is what America is about, enabling humans to achieve our highest potential. The minute you look to a supposedly higher power, you demean and diminish what is truly great about all of us. We are human, what could be greater than that?

December 7, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. WasabiPotPie

I heard someone once say that Religion was like a penis – nice to have one and to be proud of it but you should not waive it around in public or force it down someone's throat. Rick, put your religion away.

December 7, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. DaveinSC

More fear mongering. Did the three stooges on Fox and Friends write this commercial for him?

December 7, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. Independent In Albany

While Perry wages war on Intelligence

December 7, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. sftommy

RE: GROVER NORQUIST IS - EVIL INCARNATE to all Americans suffering from Health issues, looking for a job, looking for a job with benefits, looking for the Deficit to paid down, looking for a "Real" Fiscal Conservative or any American with a positive outlook on the future of this country. Bow down to your false prophet and his false profits (read MARKET LOSSES) if you want but don't down America with you.

With that said, Happy Holidays to all, Religious and secular!

December 7, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |