New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'
December 7th, 2011

New Perry ad derides Obama's 'war on religion'

(CNN) – Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate. "As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

The Perry campaign tells CNN the 30-second spot starts running in "heavy rotation" statewide in Iowa Wednesday. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar. The campaign says the ad will also run on cable television on the Fox News Channel.

The 30-second spot is slotted to run statewide starting Wednesday in Iowa. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

In an email release touting the new commercial, the Perry campaign lists headlines from mainstream, conservative, and religious reporting sites to illustrate what it calls the "Obama Administration's war on religion." Those examples include the president's move to stop defending the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and his exclusion of the word "God" from his Thanksgiving speech.

In an interview Wednesday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Perry said he stood by the ad.

"The administration is clearly sending messages to people of faith, and organizations of faith, that we're not going to support you with federal dollars," Perry said. "I'm very comfortable with that ad, for one thing. My faith is a part of me, and the values I learned in my Christian upbringing will affect my governing."

CNN has reached out to Obama's re-election team for reaction to the new Perry ad.

Perry is a Methodist and has not shied away from touting his faith during his presidential bid . In an earlier campaign commercial, Perry described himself as a "man of faith."

Social conservative voters are influential in race for the GOP presidential nomination, especially in Iowa and South Carolina, the first southern state to vote.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PSteinhauserCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. Dan Halen

Obama is more of a true Christian than Perry can ever hope to aspire to be. He's full of hate. It's so prominent in his ad. Got to be one of the most un-Christian political ads I've ever seen.

December 7, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Funny, a Christian lying about another Christian. Who is religious and who is not.

December 7, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. keeth in cali

No substance, no proof. Nothing but wide and ignorant brushstrokes.

December 7, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. pprty

How long does my comment have to "await moderation"? It has been an hour..................tic tic tic

December 7, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. citizen

Obama exempts Islam in his war on religion.

December 7, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. jim

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!!!!!!

you can not ... CAN NOT ... teach religion in a public school! how hard is that to understand?

December 7, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. ..a laurel and hardy handshake..

Say Ollie, what religion DOES MR. PERRY CLAIM AS HIS ?
    Well Stanley my good man, it was WRITTEN ON THE N-HEAD ROCK IN FRONT OF HIS LODGE .

December 7, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Zac

FINALLY!!!! GOOD JOB PERRY!! He has the Cahones to Say what a lot of people can't nowdays

December 7, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Fielding Mellish

Rick good buddy: So your executions aren't a violation of the Bible, that pesky Thou Shalt Not Kill Commandment?

December 7, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Satan

Even I have to laugh at this ignorant charlatan. If I and hell existed, we'd be creating a cabinet spot right now for you, you arrogant bigot!

December 7, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. pprty

Imagine my surprise while reading this story God spoke and told me to vote for Obama.

December 7, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. us1776

OMG !!

Rick Perry is a "war on intelligence".

The guy can't remember anything. Alzheimers?

And now he's teamed up with Sheriff Joe Nazi from Arizona.

What a duo.

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Cynthia - Arkansas

It's just like the FAKE "war on Christmas". He's a joke!

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. seriously???

What about The Republicans War on Humanity????

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. starman

When are the religious in this country going to wake up and figure out that corporate glooms like Rick are praising Jesus for nothing more then their vote. Do you seriously think they are going to change anything??? Stop being tools and start thinking for yourselves!

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Gordo

Obama has nothing to worry about, my party always implode one way or another by getting ridiculous in their accusations. Why can't we stick to the real problems instead of making up this kind of crap, I am really becoming ashamed to be a Republican.

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Ambrose Smith

That's it Perry. Go even further to the right. You don't have a PRAYER anyway!

December 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Keith

I thought I had heard it all but this is beyond insanity. Religion is a curse of the people of this planet just look around you. Some commentators here here say that no one should have to tiptoe around the fact that they are christians. I am a very devout atheist and let me tell you I have to literally hide that fact when I speak to many people, I have on occasion stated said that I am an atheist and the change in the demeanor of those listening is chilling. Some people stare open mouthed at me some fearfully state that they have never actually seen an atheist before in their lives, some are downright threatening. So much for free speech. Some people have said that atheists do not show respect for religion to which I reply when religious people show me respect then I will show them respect. How often have I heard religious leaders screaming from their pulpits that all none believers will be condemned to hell and do not deserve to live among normal people. The hypocrisy in religion even beats that in politics. I have as much right to believe what I believe and to talk about it openly as anyone but I CANNOT do that and feel safe.

December 7, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. aaron, i can't stand boehner

Obama: Perry's war on science.

December 7, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. TXJim

This Hail Mary pass will be intercepted.. Your attempt to whip up the fringe right loonies will only result in pushing the center further away..

December 7, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. jim

@ kirok ok, so show me a building of worship for the atheist "religion". show me a holy book for the atheist "religion". show me the head of the atheist "religion" (you know ... like the pope). show me one ... just one ... authorized atheist preacher.

December 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. boocat

Rick Perry forgot to mention his own war on education. This moron is dumber than a spatula. Is there something in the water in Texas or are the majority of Texans just plain stupid?

December 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. Walter

Basically, Rick Perry confirms he's part of the Dark Side. Obama doesn't have a war on religion, he's trying to make people equal. For those of you who are on Perry's side, remember this: you have the right to believe what you want, but people on the left do also, and if they are happy with they are doing and aren't hurting anyone, then leave them alone! You are NOT the only religion in this country, and understand that we don't want to be subservient to your beliefs, and a Christian dominated country is almost Fascism (and if you think that is a stretch, you are the one's calling Obama a Nazi for making sure people got health care). I hope Perry isn't nominated at all for as the Republican Candidtate...the last thing we need is the Bible ruling the country!!! People, use your heads and stop being hypocrits!!!

December 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. su3385

Really, "gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school"! Another idiot who doesn't get the separation between church & State & thinks it has some connection to gays. This is the best we can scrape up to run for President?

December 7, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  25. CCMars

@pprty

Sometimes just refreshing doesn't work. Try using ctrl+F5 after about fifteen minutes or so.

December 7, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |