Romney ad highlights candidate's marriage
December 7th, 2011

Romney ad highlights candidate's marriage

(CNN) - Mitt Romney's latest television ad emphasizes his commitment to his faith and family – but includes a blunder he made at a debate when lauding his decades-long marriage.

The 30-second spot, which the Romney campaign said would run in Iowa and New Hampshire, is called "Leader," and utilizes Romney's answer to a question at a debate in early November.

"I've been married to the same woman for 25 – excuse me, I'll get in trouble – for 42 years," Romney says in the ad. "I've been in the same church my entire life. I worked at one company, Bain, for 25 years. And I left that to go off and help save the Olympic Games."

The ad intersperses home video footage from Romney's family, showing the former Massachusetts governor and two-time presidential candidate playing with his children when they were young, and his wife Ann from the early days of their marriage. The ad also uses images from Romney's time as head of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.

Romney's focus on marriage comes as former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who has been married three times, is rising rapidly in national polls, as well as surveys in key early voting states.

Gingrich has been married to his current wife Callista since 2000.

Romney has previously bought ad space in New Hampshire and Iowa, including a commercial slamming President Barack Obama on the economy, and a spot touting his experience in the private sector.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Political ads
  1. GROVER NORQUIST IS A HERO TO ALL TAXPAYERS WHO ARE SICK OF PAYING MORE THAN THEIR SHARE TO FUND A CORRUPT SOCIALIST AGENDA

Gotta give it to Mitt, he's as squeaky clean as they come... A rarity in this day and age.

December 7, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. tykl

Absolute class act.
    He has run his campaign with such painstaking care – I want somebody like that to run the country.

December 7, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. bilk7

Had the Romney in the ad been the Romney making the 2012 run, he may have had a shot. But the Romney we see in the ad is the one who existed before the flip-flops and twists and turns. The Romney we have today just can't be trusted.

December 7, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Sooooooo...he managed to not get caught for 42 years?

December 7, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. American

Commitment to faith? Mitt admittedly LIED in his very first ad, and Romney just lied again about golfing. Not to mention, Mitt lies constantly to cover-up his flip-flops.

December 7, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. The Other Michael in Houston

So who cares, you are still the biggest flip flopper ever in politics.

December 7, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Reagan Republican

Oh Romney, what are you to do? The guy is just going to wait around, becuase he knows at the end he will be the nominee, although by then it will be too late for him to get his message out to people.

December 7, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. Woman In California

Here's what Romney DIDN'T SAY: I've been in a church all of my life which is really not a church it's more like a cult; I have spawn five sons – none of which have EVER bothered to serve their country; I worked at Bain Capital and shipped your jobs off to foreign countries; and my wife by my side is the only one I want you to know about at least until I get in the Whitehouse.
    Mitt Romney.

December 7, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

I can't remember the last time I voted for a candidate based simply on their picture perfect (from their own perspective anyway) marriage. I will be the first to admit that the Romney family lifestyle isn't a lifestyle I am too familiar with and leave it at that.

December 7, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. ThinkAgain

Mr. Romney:

1. You believe that "corporations are people, my friend." What was/is the gender of Bain Capital, the corporation you worked at for 25 years?

2. As a Mormon who believes in Baptism of the Dead, can corporations (since they are people) be baptized into the Mormon Church after they've died?

3. Please explain how this can happen, since corporations can't die.

4. Please explain how something that cannot die is a person.

December 7, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. stevie

Perhaps obama can do an ad about how his wife was never proud of her country as an adult until Barry got the nomination. That would go over even better the second time around. Mitt: God bless you and your family. You are good Americans.

December 7, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. GOP TeaParty Clown Car Myth the Flip Flopper vs. Newt the "Family Values" serial Adulterer

Myth Romney was married to his wife for 25yrs before he married her for 45yrs!!!

Flip Flop!!!....seriously, as a mormon Bishop how many polygamous marriages did Myth Romney officiate at the mormon church? Myth Romney has how many wives again?!!!

December 7, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Indy

What about jobs Mitt ? Jobs, Jobs, Jobs lets hear about JOBS ! Dont care if you think your marriage is better then everyone elses. Jobs Mitt, Jobs

December 7, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. Brett

Democrats need to take a page out of the 2008 Republican playbook and register as Republicans to vote in their primaries. Keep this fight between Mitt and Newt going for as long as possible!

December 7, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Jake

well he absolutely has that up on Newt! Newt and family values, um....no!

December 7, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. AlaskaPalin

Respect is due. Politics is dirty so he should be in some other profession. After 7 years running for the presidency its time for him to quit.

December 7, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@stevie - Swallowed the bait hook, line, and sinker, did you? No doubt Mitt will be very proud of you.

December 7, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. Tim

I don't like Romney, but Newt has cheated on two of his wifes and is married to the one he cheated with on his second wife. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe anyone can change. But you have to have that same viewpoint of all the candidates.

December 7, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

Mitt Romney's "rescue" of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee is debatable. He joined in when the group was supposed to be $400 million in the hole on a $3 billion project. I believe he joined 3 years prior to the opening ceremonies. Seeing how most of the operating capital came from fund raising from private donors, some argue that fund raising was slow and running behind schedule.

Gov. Romney sought out and secured new private donors and "balanced the budget" for the organizing committee. What Romney did was less management skill but more along the lines of what is known as "schmoozing." Do we reallty want a "schmoozer" to be POTUS?

December 7, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Kenny K

@stevie

Is it Mr. Romney vs Mrs. Obama, or Mr. Romney vs Mr. Obama? Please try to compare apple to apple.

December 7, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

He forgot to include: "I also wear magic underwear and abstain from drinking coffee."

December 7, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

tykl wrote:

Absolute class act.
    ------------------
    His staunchest conservative critics would argue that Romney has "lead from behind" by laying low and not drawing attention to himself unlike his fellow candidates have done.

December 7, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. Logan

I commend you Mitt! Being a loving husband and father is the true test of the quality of a man. How can America trust Newt if the three wives he has had dont?

December 7, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. GoodGuyGary

Newt is the man, he treated on 2 women and still managed to have the third one married him!

December 7, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Anonymous

"Being a loving husband and father is the true test of the quality of a man."

That may be, but it is absolutely worthless in deciding who is best fit to lead America.

December 7, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |