Trump: I know more than all the other moderators
December 7th, 2011

Trump: I know more than all the other moderators

(CNN) - Donald Trump may have made his fortune on real estate rather than politics, but the host of "The Apprentice" said Wednesday he was more knowledgeable about important issues than any of the journalists moderating presidential debates.

"I know a lot of the moderators and some are wonderful, and some aren't, but I know the issues better than the moderators," Trump said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

Trump is currently slated to host a Republican presidential debate, sponsored by the conservative publication Newsmax, in late December. Three candidates have said they will not participate: Texas Rep. Ron Paul, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Trump said he was disappointed Romney declined his invitation.

"I was disappointed that Mitt Romney, who's been up to see me at Trump Tower and called me, and, you know, we've had numerous calls, wants very much to have my endorsement," Trump said. "I was actually very disappointed that he didn't do the debate. I was actually surprised. He's a good guy, but I was actually surprised that he didn't do the debate."

Trump said the ratings on his reality show "The Apprentice" should have induced candidates to participate in his event.

"I get great ratings," Trump said. "Frankly, this debate, with the right people in it, would be very, very successful."

Speaking about Romney, Trump said: "If I were down in the polls, I'd want to do every debate I could."

Trump said he would publicly endorse a candidate in the coming weeks, and spoke highly of Huntsman and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in the interview. Gingrich has agreed to participate in the Trump/Newsmax debate.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. imp

The Republican Debates are sooooo my favorite new sitcom. Hilarious!

December 7, 2011 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  2. Laurie

How do we vote Trump off the island?

December 7, 2011 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  3. Tom

Let me get this straight, they are going to find a room big enough to hold the egos of Trump, Gingrich and Perry. Lord, I hope they have secured Madison Square Garden.

December 7, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  4. Pat in il

There is something wrong with this man's brain. Trump needs professional help, and he certainly doesn't need to be making stupid noise in the public sector.

December 7, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. ThinkAgain

This clown's ego knows no bounds! It's all a publicity stunt; how shameful that he and the GOP yahoos who've agreed to "debate" think so little of the office of POTUS and our country to even consider engaging in this ridiculous sideshow!

December 7, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  6. Birdwatcher1

OMG this guy is such a cartoon of himself. You could not make this guy up – no one would believe it.

December 7, 2011 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. blake

What a pompous jerk! Please stop giving this fool the media attention he so desperately seeks.

December 7, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  8. Richard Simpson

Trump thinks that having strong opinions makes him knowledgeable about foreign policy. He is a pompous buffoon that only has a highly egotistical and distorted view of the world and he mistakes that for intelligence. I know so many people that have the same feelings; they are right and everyone else is wrong, stupid and a traitor/commie for not agreeing. That pretty much sums of the entire right wing come to think of it. But I have to hand it to the 1%, they have 25 % of the people blindly working against their best own interests. How long will they be fooled is the real question.

December 7, 2011 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  9. chuck weidemann

The only person alive that could know more than the Trumpet is the Nitwit known as Newt!! He even toots his own horn more than the Trumpet!! Those two will do the "debate" even if no one else shows...between them they can give all the answered the other candidates would give!! They are really smart,just ask them....they know everything!!!

December 7, 2011 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  10. shinden58

Trump a legend in his own mind. 1st.

December 7, 2011 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  11. michael r

The entire republican line up seems to be a Barnum & Bailey circus, Donald Trump really does belong in the middle of it. As for what he knows . . . . does he ever look in the mirror?

December 7, 2011 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He's been drinking too much of his own cool-aid. There is no way that this could be seen as a reasonable debate. The fact that he thinks he know more than other debators/moderators in the past is just laughable.

December 7, 2011 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  13. Kris

Politics, plain and simple, is the leading cause of our great nation's decline! We need leadership from a man or woman that has a full on understanding of this- Mr. Trump is just the style we need! Perhaps he can persuade our politicians to take the issues to heart-instead of chatting in a politically correct mind set. We need a leader. Not a politician!

December 7, 2011 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  14. enuff

trump is omnipotent. Just ask him. A god among mere men. sounds like he's been fired by a few of the candidates.

December 7, 2011 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  15. m

What we know is you're an old gas bag who craves constant attention. We also know that you are street smart and made some risky bets that paid off. We also know you got your start because of your father. We also know your hubris runs at the same elevated level as gingRICH.

December 7, 2011 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  16. maf

Donald's opinion is the only thing that Donald is "more knowledgeable" about! Name a topic and Donald will have a strong opinion, it's just usually the WRONG side of the issue (ie. President Obama's birth certificate debacle). The only reason Donald is interested in hosting this debate is that he wants to slant GOP policy direction the way he thinks! Dangerous, egomaniacal, divisive and downright self-serving. The worlds of religion and politics certainly collide in this version of the Republicans, now we get to merge reality TV with politics. NOT COOL!!! CONGRESS, where are the JOBS!!!

December 7, 2011 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  17. Dixie AZ

TG I missed your show tonight Mr. Morgan. What happened to having classy guests on ? You gave this publicity grabbing lout air time?

December 8, 2011 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  18. Dixie AZ

PS Endorse Newt. I doubt very much that Mr. Romney would want YOUR support.

December 8, 2011 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  19. Jake

WOW this guy's head is literally in the clouds. He's a great businessman, i'll give him that. I think it's rather ironic that someone who's wealth was made off capitalism, would call Ron Paul a "nut." It just screams corruption when a man worth so much would stand in the way of a candidate trying to restore capitalism to it's purest form. Obviously, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong here.

December 8, 2011 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  20. otermbachmann

I'll be surprised if even the Donald shows up to the stupid debate.

December 8, 2011 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  21. Trent Indreland

We could pay off the national debt if we could buy Trump for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

December 8, 2011 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  22. Thinker

I hate to say this, but I gained a bit more respect for Romney. He, Paul, Huntsman are correct in this.

December 8, 2011 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  23. Real Patriot

What a pig.

December 8, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  24. kmp

Oh just shut up already.

December 8, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. Joan

Everyday Trump's ego balloons!! We do know 'All that goes up must come down'!!! I want a front row seat!!!: )

December 8, 2011 01:11 am at 1:11 am |