Trump: I know more than all the other moderators
December 7th, 2011

Trump: I know more than all the other moderators

(CNN) - Donald Trump may have made his fortune on real estate rather than politics, but the host of "The Apprentice" said Wednesday he was more knowledgeable about important issues than any of the journalists moderating presidential debates.

"I know a lot of the moderators and some are wonderful, and some aren't, but I know the issues better than the moderators," Trump said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

Trump is currently slated to host a Republican presidential debate, sponsored by the conservative publication Newsmax, in late December. Three candidates have said they will not participate: Texas Rep. Ron Paul, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Trump said he was disappointed Romney declined his invitation.

"I was disappointed that Mitt Romney, who's been up to see me at Trump Tower and called me, and, you know, we've had numerous calls, wants very much to have my endorsement," Trump said. "I was actually very disappointed that he didn't do the debate. I was actually surprised. He's a good guy, but I was actually surprised that he didn't do the debate."

Trump said the ratings on his reality show "The Apprentice" should have induced candidates to participate in his event.

"I get great ratings," Trump said. "Frankly, this debate, with the right people in it, would be very, very successful."

Speaking about Romney, Trump said: "If I were down in the polls, I'd want to do every debate I could."

Trump said he would publicly endorse a candidate in the coming weeks, and spoke highly of Huntsman and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in the interview. Gingrich has agreed to participate in the Trump/Newsmax debate.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. steven

Arrogance. Egotist. Superiority complex. Trump. All mean the same thing.

December 8, 2011 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  2. GaryB

Donald Trump. A legend in his own mind.

December 8, 2011 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  3. Texas Annie

Trump is so full of himself. Has the man looked in a mirror lately? He is a sad pathetic joke.

December 8, 2011 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  4. Bryan

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but every time this man opens his mouth, I find the sheer magnitude of his ego to be mind boggling.

December 8, 2011 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  5. manhandler1

Someone should lock Trump in a room full of mirrors where he can repeat "i Love You" over and over and over again. What a comic fool.

December 8, 2011 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  6. Pedron

"Trump: I know more than all the other moderators." THATS WHY YOU ARE STINKING RICH you don't read a script written by no one!!

December 8, 2011 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  7. cic

Trump can't even construct a complete sentence. All said.

December 8, 2011 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  8. ElmerGantry

Pomposity at it's grandest!

December 8, 2011 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  9. tsb610

"I know more than anybody else. I make more money than anyone else. I am better looking than anyone else. . . Blah, blah, blah . . . ."

An empty wagon makes a lot of noise.

December 8, 2011 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  10. s

Please do we have to listen to beaver hair anylonger, maybe he and the grinch can moved in together

December 8, 2011 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  11. J.V.Hodgson

Loads of grat soundbites in there for the easilt led and excitable.
    But the sheer arrogance of the man explains why several refused his offer of ( hard not to laugh out loud) Moderation!?
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

December 8, 2011 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  12. sick of republican phonies

CNN: If you would ignore the worthless nonsense and focus on actual NEWS as opposed to entertainment fluff, we may actually get something of value from you. Trump's debate is barely mentioned in legitimate news sources, like the NYTimes or the BBC or Washington Post. You guys go running and get excited whenever you see a dancing dog wearing a party hat.

December 8, 2011 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  13. Charlie in Maine

Okay so here the deal Donald: the root word of "moderator" is moderate. Moderate is not only something one does it is something one is. In the GOP race this year the role of "Know-it-all blowhard" has already been filled, many times over. I hear they are still taking applications though. so get yours in or get out of the way.

December 8, 2011 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  14. go home sarah

Bring me some popcorn. This show keeps getting better and better.

December 8, 2011 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  15. Anonymous

Trump is legend in his own mind. To everyone else he's a self-important blowhard and idiot.

December 8, 2011 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  16. kathy

what a joke

December 8, 2011 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  17. ChumBucket

I believe he probably does know more about world affairs than most newsmen out there, but, he is still a twit.

December 8, 2011 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  18. taylor

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

December 8, 2011 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  19. Carol Wolfendale

romney didn't take da bate and hopefully none of the other candidates will either. this guy seems to think he walks on water sure hope he can swim !

December 8, 2011 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  20. cecelia

Trump is so into him self, cannot stand him.. he blows his own horn a thousand times thru this interview, do not
    know why i continued to watch, except i like piers morgan show.. thank god, Trump will not be president.

December 8, 2011 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  21. Sean

His face is oranger than his tie. This obnoxious bloward is like a little kid stomping his feet and shouting "Look at me! Look at me!" He stands for absolutely nothing and just wants attention. Stop giving it to him, CNN.

December 8, 2011 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  22. Keith

Pride, pride, pride.... You have to admire Trump for his audacious lack of humility!

December 8, 2011 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  23. Cfrench

What a sad little man. I feel sorry for people with these blown up egos. They think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread but anyone with half a brain (sorry teatards, that leaves you out) can see these people as the losers they really are.

December 8, 2011 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  24. carol

I wish he knew how to comb his hair. Help...

December 8, 2011 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  25. nintex

I get sick at my stomach just reading what this conceited blowhard says. It's all hot air; he doesn't seem to understand that people aren't as dumb as he thinks we are – stupid people make the mistake of thinking everyone is as stupid as they are, and that will be his downfall.

December 8, 2011 07:29 am at 7:29 am |