BREAKING: Senate Republicans block Democrats' payroll tax cut plan
December 8th, 2011

BREAKING: Senate Republicans block Democrats' payroll tax cut plan

(CNN) - Senate Republicans Thursday blocked a Democratic measure to extend the payroll tax cut and assess a new tax on income over $1 million to help pay for it.

The vote was 50-48. Sixty votes were needed for the measure to proceed.

Filed under: Congress • Taxes
  1. Democrats answer to everything, TAX THE RICH, TAX BUSINESS

Will the Democrats insatiable thirst for tax dollars EVER be quenched???

It is clear the answer is no. The beast continues to feed and grow....

December 8, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Yutah

Hey Terry in VA, work ethic you say, well first you have to have jobs & by the way look who sent jobs overseas, you talk smart but you know nothing, these people are begging for jobs & your so called idiot republicans could care less, they right out stated they want to break Oboma at any cost, even at the cost of human suffering, get out of your fancy neighborhood & take alook at reality, Dept store jobs & busboy jobs do not pay the billls!!

December 8, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. pattic

OMG, I'm shocked! Republicans obstructing a bill that would benefit the middle class, I never dreamed that would happen! I am 56 years old, am 3 classes shy of a masters degree, was out of work for 16 months, took a job as a receptionist and I clear about $1100/mo. I have serious health issues, no insurance and can afford only some of my medications. I spend 5.5 hours a day on mass transit to work a 7 hr shift because there is no way I can afford a car. I am so relieved that this bill was defeated because I don't think I could live with myself if millionaires and billionaires had to pay a little more in taxes, it would truly be a hardship on these poor folks. My heart goes out to them all. I hope the Republicans all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. NOT!!!

December 8, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. DumbasRocks [R]s

Terry,Va opines: "I wonder how the Rebups are protecting millionaires and billionaires when the country will be a 51-49% vote in the election. Damn, thats alot of millionaires and billionaires!!!!!" No Terry, that's alot of malignantly stupid people to fall for the lies of continued [R] FAILURE. How do I know they're stupid? Go look in the mirror; you are their poster-child.

And no, this election is about restoring balance to an unbalanced budget and economy. The last time it was balanced, under Clinton, the American economy thrived. You have to be dumber than 4 kinds of vegetables to want to continue the FAILED [R] experiment of wealth-shifting to the top 10% that occurred during 2000-2008. And to those people who voted [R] in 2010 because they "want to work", just how did that work out for you?

If you [R]s keep interbreeding, in few generations your genes will produce a Neanderthal throwback - a gem for science research, but also a gem of proof that something is clinically wrong with today's rightwing underbelly.

December 8, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I see alleged self made millionaire Terry, Va, has weighed in with his (her) opinion. Once again the republicommies are on the wrong side of history, and all crazy right wingnuts will be back in their parents basements after the Obama reelection in 2012. How many other right wingnut millionaires are posting today? There aren't any.

December 8, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Hammerer

All about what the Repubs will not do.
    Why not push the positive things that obama and the dems have done, they did have total of DC for 2 years.
    Oh yes, they have been a complete failure!

December 8, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Terry, VA how do you know the country is going to vote 51-49 in the next election? Do you have a crystal ball or do you program voting machines for Diebold?

December 8, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. malabar

Anyone else find the overdramatic rage of the lefties just a little precious? hahaha, and you knw its the most over the top panty wetters that think everyone else is crazy and they are the sane ones. thnx cnn

December 8, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Roger

I am so sick of these republicans I could scream. America, please wake up. These charlatons will destroy the country. Their only agenda is defeating President Obama – they care nothing about doing the people's business – their only goal is denying President Obama a second term. Don't let them get away with it!

December 8, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Lost in Texas FOREVER and EVER

This is why I always laugh when I hear people say "But the Democrats have the majority in the Senate"....doesn't work when the minority party changes the rules now does it? Congress is polling at 9% approval rating and it appears the idiots there just don't seem to understand why nor do they seem to care.

December 8, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |