Gingrich event canceled amid safety concerns
Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich and his wife Callista sign books after speaking at a Hilton Hotel on November 25, 2011 in Naples, Florida.
December 9th, 2011

Gingrich event canceled amid safety concerns

(CNN) – The bookseller set to host a Newt Gingrich book signing Friday canceled the event, citing public safety concerns.

The Republican presidential candidate and former House speaker was scheduled to visit Hudson News at Union Station in Washington, D.C. with his wife, Callista to promote her new children's book and his two most recent books.

But Hudson News, located blocks from Capitol Hill, said it would not proceed, "in order to address public safety concerns."

– CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Independent Voters

I knew Newt dont want to be president it all about selling his book.

December 9, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. scottf

He is accountable for his irresponsible comments. He has brought this upon himself. He is a divider not a uniter. Get this narcissistic sociopath out of public office and let him sell his books on the private sector dime.

December 9, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Bill

I agree, the public should be protected form this lying, irresponsible clown.

December 9, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Aaaaw, Newty is fishing for a secret service security detail. How cute. Oldest trick in the book. "I'm so very very important. See? Look! We had concerns about the people out to get me, who are out to get me because I'm so important. It proves that I'm so very very important."

December 9, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. Thomas

I didn't realize Tiffany's has such a strong arm collections department !

December 9, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

Every move newt makes is about how newt can exploit his "followers." Wake up you fools or are you as self serving as he is so his exploits appear normal.

December 9, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. zivo24

Wait a sec....

Calista Gingrich wrote a children's book???

What's it about?

Having an affair with your boss who you know is married and a serial cheater and was trying to impeach a president for lying about his own adultery WHILE he's lying to and cheaing on his wife with you???

December 9, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. steven harnack

So at the same time he is supposedly campaigning for the most important job in the world he is using the publicity to act as a huckster to put money in his and his wife's pockets! Just what we need, a Huckster-in-Chief!

December 9, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. bill

The occupy flea baggers must be at it again.

December 9, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. nobody special

I wonder how much money she spends on hairspray. Do any of you honestly think she's first lady material? I guess it wouldn't matter – she'll probably be replaced by #4 soon enough.

December 9, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. Silly Baggers!

Is this guy running for President or just hyping up his book tour? I know one of the books is his wifes and he is showing support but the article said it's for his books to. Is the timing a coincedence?

December 9, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. malabar

And here come the hateful comments toward anythng and everythng republican. the only thng more predictable than hypocritical dem comments is uninformed dem comments. let em rip kids, mature voters respond really well to illogical rage and name calling. way to show ur worth

December 9, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  13. wgf

I sure hope running for President doesn't get in the way of his commercial endeavors. We wouldn't want it to be an inconvenience.

December 9, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. politics as usual

The problem with Newt is that he is a loose cannon. We don't need a loose cannon in the White House.

December 9, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Woman In California

I stopped when I read this part. "Children's book" are you kidding me? I wouldn't let any young child read anything coming from this "other woman". She should write books on "adult entertainment" – more becoming – don't you think?

December 9, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Jake

OH NO!! but that is the sole reason he's running for President! to sell his books and build Gingrich Enterprises!!

December 9, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Elaine

Newt's books are actually coloring books that the other Tea/Republican candidates can't even read.

December 9, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  18. Donkey Party

Malabar -

Ha! Really?? You're going to defend the party of hateful comments that pander to their ill-informed, uninformed base. Idiot is too kind a word for you.

December 9, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. Pete

Childrens' book = Gingrich indoctrination

Besides, they should be cleaning their schools, not wasting their time reading.

December 9, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

malabar, no hateful comments, only the truth.

December 9, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. cigarman

Who were the safety concerns for, My guess, the concerns were for the children who may attend, I would be very concerned letting Gingrich around my children. He is one of the most unethical and immoral persons that I have ever read about. One never knows what a seriel thinker like Gingtich would say or do if there were any skirts around. This person will never be President of The United States.

December 9, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. Anonymous

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if part of Karl Rove's strategy to ram Romney down our throats will be to buy off the opposition (Newt, Michele, Frothyman, etc.) by bulk purchasing their books. That way each one can walk away with a well-fattened wallet in exchange for selling out and endorsing Flipper.

December 9, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Democrats answer to everything, TAX THE RICH, TAX BUSINESS

So who threatened him???? More OWS violence???

December 9, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Liili

Newt is exploiting the right-wing teaparty folk....he and Calista are 'on a BOOK TOUR!!!!

December 9, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

Not a problem. Let's keep the candidate protected. I am sure that he doesn't want to chewed out again for being an embarassment to his own party. That guy got entirely too close, Newt. It's time to cancel your book tour and be a candidate.

Or , it's time to cancel your candidacy and continue your book tour. You need to decide. You cannot do both at the same time, just like you cannot teach a history class over the internet while you are POTUS. [I still cannot believe he said that.]

December 9, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |