Montemayor? Perry slips when criticizing judge
December 9th, 2011

Montemayor? Perry slips when criticizing judge

(CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry railed Friday against Pres. Barack Obama Friday for appointing "activist judges" to the Supreme Court, but stumbled when he couldn't remember Justice Sonya Sotomayor's name. At another point he tripped up over the number of justices on the nation's highest court.

Perry, speaking to the Des Moines Register, was defending a controversial campaign ad when he slipped up.

"When you see his appointment of two, from my perspective, inarguably activist judges, whether it was…," Perry said, trailing off as he struggled to come up with Sotomayor's name.

At one point, Perry threw out, "Montemayor."

After about 5 seconds, an editorial board member from the Des Moines Register offered Sotomayor's name, and Perry quickly regained his train of thought.

"Sotomayor, and Kagan, are both activists judges, and I would suggest to you that is an example of my concern about, I believe the Supreme Court should not be making legislative decisions and telling Americans how to live."

At another point in the meeting with the newspaper's editorial board, Perry mistakenly suggested there were eight justices on the bench, rather than nine.

"For Washington to tell a local school district that you cannot have prayer and a time of prayer in school is, I think, offensive to most Americans," Perry said. "I trust the people of the states to make those decisions. I trust those independent school districts to make those decisions better than eight unelected, and frankly unaccountable judges," Perry said.

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry • Supreme Court
  1. Hawk

And bush wasen't from texas he is from conn.

December 9, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  2. skarphace

It will be Gingrich, Romney, or Paul who wins the Republican nod. Nobody else stands a chance. Of the three, Gingrich has the best chance at the nomination due to his fiery anti-Obama message and his newfound Trump money. Romney has the next best chance due to his support among 'establishment' Republicans. However, neither Romney or Gingrich has a shot at beating out Obama for the moderate and Independent votes.

There is only one of them who has a shot at taking out Obama in 2012. If you ever polled Independents and moderates you would know. This person is Ron Paul and if he does not get the Republican ticket, it will be 4 more years of the same.

December 9, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  3. Dave

It's amazing that this idiot is actually a Governor. Then again, he's the Governeor of Texas, so that's not really saying much. I'd be ashamed if I lived there.

December 9, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  4. phoenix86

He didn't remember her name because she is an insignifant judge that only Obama would appoint.

December 9, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Lost inTexas FOREVER and EVER

Texas has one of the HIGHEST dropout rates in the nation and our "guvner" shows just how important education, something the Republicans seem to detest, when he makes these constant blunders. Here in Texas some on the right think this is "cute" and "folksy" but the nation sees it otherwise.

December 9, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  6. David

What is it about being governor of Texas? Somehow, the job CREATES stupidity. How many jobs offer that fringe benefit? Rick Periwinkle. What an embarrassment.

December 9, 2011 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Linda

Perhaps, as I am doing, he is losing his ability to "think" due to an onset of old age. Oh wait, he is not nearly as old as I.

December 9, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. bigbrother

How many times has Obama misspoke... nit picking... shame on you.

December 9, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  9. Woman In California

Rick Perry, please go back to playing with your Legos. At least when you're doing that no one knows how ignorant you truly are.
    Thank you.

December 9, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Jeff Brown in Jersey

This guy is a drunken fool! Another GOP epic fail!

December 9, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. Nevis

Don't blame Texas A&M. It's a fine school. Look what came out of Yale. Must be something about cheerleaders.

December 9, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  12. Al-NY,NY

can we send him back to Texas, let the people who want to leave go and then put a fence around it? This guy is SOOOO dumb he makes Palin or Bachman look smart

December 9, 2011 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. Bryan

Dumb has served the Republicans well, George W. Bush was president for 8 years while his much more intelligent father was only president for 4.

December 9, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. Terry,Va

I wouldn't worry about her name. I'd just say the Obummie bootlicker.

December 9, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. Patriot Awesome

I wouldn't vote for this guy for dog catcher.

December 9, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. WhereIsPalin

.....and he was the one to save us when he jumped into the race. What do Texans see in this guy?

December 9, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  17. Excoastie

When this folly is over I think Mrs Perry should take the Governor to a mental health professional or another doctor who specializes mental health issues, I really think he has some serious issues and needs treatment.

December 9, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  18. Noodle Nose Johnson

I've thrown spitballs that were smarter than this guy.

December 9, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  19. Ralphe

The GOP is really a big tent party, like a circus tent. Perry is the star of its freak show.

December 9, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  20. dan

Thank goodness for these activist judges, who can help protect us from the likes of Gov. Goodhair.

December 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. roro

Kagan and Sotomayor are activist judges? Has he heard of Scalia and Thomas? If they're not activist judges, I don't know who is!!!

December 9, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  22. Toontje

Rick Perry was walking to work the other day and he saw a banana peel lying on the sidewalk a couple of feet away. He slapped himself on forehead and said: "Oh no, here I go again!"

December 9, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  23. Ed T.

Watch the video clip. He makes W look like Einstein. Don't these Teapublicans have any shame in running such a completely incompetent candidate? I guess not.

December 9, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  24. pattic

@Markiejoe: I think you might be on to something. Seriously.

This guy is a nutjob, but he doesn't even stand out in the GOP crowd. They aren't ALL stupid, Newt certainly isn't, but one is crazier than the next. Where are the smart people in TX? There are at least two, I know them personally. They DO stand out in the crowd!

I think there may be a logical reason why Rick wants to do away with the Department of Education: they set standards. Just think what a difficult time poor Ricky must have had in school. He is only trying to spare all American children the kind of humilitation he must have felt. Wouldn't you just love to see something he has written before anyone else gets the chance to edit/rewrite it? I'll bet he can't put together decent sentence without help. He certainly can't put together a logical thought. What a moron.

December 9, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. John

Whats sad is that he IS truly representative of most Tea Party supporters – dumb as a post.

December 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |