Trump 'very disappointed' in Bachmann
December 9th, 2011

Trump 'very disappointed' in Bachmann

(CNN) – Michele Bachmann's decision to skip Donald Trump's upcoming Republican presidential debate has the real estate mogul fuming.

"You know who I'm very disappointed in? Michele Bachmann," Trump said Friday on "Imus in the Morning."

"She's come up to see me four times. Four times. She's called me, she's asked me for advice, she said she'd like to think about me for the vice presidency, all of these things."

Bachmann's campaign announced Thursday the Minnesota congresswoman would forgo the debate, which is sponsored by the conservative publication Newsmax. Only two candidates – former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum – have said they will show up to the event.

On Thursday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry turned down "The Apprentice" host's invitation, saying he was too busy with retail politics in early voting states to participate. Perry was one of four candidates to visit Trump, ostensibly to ask him for his endorsement.

On Thursday, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer he was surprised when former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney turned him down.

"I was in particular surprised with Mitt Romney, because he wants my endorsement very badly, as you know," Trump said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

"You've seen him come up. We speak. I like him a lot. I think he's a terrific guy."

Trump said Bachmann's rejection was particularly insulting, pointing to a tele-town hall he held with the candidate in October.

"Most importantly I did like a two hour phone call for her with her people and it caused me certain problems," Trump said. "People asked if I was endorsing her, and the answer was no. And then after all of that, she announced she's not going to do the debate. It's unbelievable. You know, it's called loyalty. It's actually called loyalty. How do you do that? You know, it's amazing to me."

When Don Imus asked if Trump would proceed with the debate if only two candidates attend, the reality star said he wasn't certain.

"I don't know, I'd really have to look into it and see," Trump said. "They want me to drop my status as someone who's going to run as an independent, and I don't think I'm going to do that."

Also see:

Gingrich reaches out to conservative leaders

Bachmann will not take part in Trump debate

Santorum on Trump debate no-shows: They're hypocrites

Paul: 'I have to expose' Gingrich

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann
  1. Katie

Can you say EGO? Is Trump trying to be Sarah Palin in a suit by making political comments? Does anyone really put any weight on their endorsements?

December 10, 2011 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. memax

Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me! Can't u c no one wants to be masqueraded on a Trump pre release reality show? Maybe....just maybe, Herman Caine and Pawlenty may be interested.

December 10, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  3. abby1

Trump is an ignorant and egotistical bully. He thinks everything in the world should center around him and that everyone should obey his commands.

December 10, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. SMSBurke

Trump, you are making a fool out of yourself.

December 10, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  5. mommytwice

PLEASE start ignoring this insane man so he will go away. If the media would stop drooling all over his shoes every time he opens his mouth, he'd eventually shut up. PLEASE, PLEASE help make him go away.

December 10, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. Lynn

Isn't it obvious.....All the ones who are now deciding not to attend this joke of a debate, should by all purposes lose all credibility(not that they had any in the first place), because until there were backlashes about a Trump debate each of them were willing to attend, Paul and Huntsman, are the only ones with any credibility in this race, because as soon as it was announced, they stated they would not attend. Guess, someone's been reading the posts for these other nuts, and stated..."ummmm, maybe we should cancel..."

December 10, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. GonzoinHouston

You really know you're unpopular when Michelle Bachman declines to join you for free national media time. At what point is Trump going to cancel this farce? When it's just him and Newt?

December 10, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. JustOne

I think Ron Paul put it quite succinctly; who new Trump could anoint people. Trump's politics are very well known and are a bit to the right of loony. This "debate" would be little more than an embarrassing farce?

December 10, 2011 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  9. markodavid

Trump:born rich,bankrupt twice with family money.He is a failure at best and less than that at worst.NOW the R. candidates are seeking his approval?

December 10, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |