Romney: More prayer in schools
December 16th, 2011

Romney: More prayer in schools

Sioux City, Iowa (CNN) - Mitt Romney grew reflective when asked about God and government at a town hall in Iowa Friday.

A man asked the GOP candidate about the role of religion in American society.

"I know there are some people who would like to make this nation a secular nation, who want to take God out of everything that exists in this country," Romney said. "They try to say it's unconstitutional."

Romney pointed to the Declaration of Independence, saying the document "points out that it's God who gave us those rights in the first place."

The former Massachusetts governor is a Mormon and has at times shrugged off detractors who do not consider his religion to be Christian.

Romney told the audience at an Iowa plant that he believed there should be more prayer in schools and more "religious ornamentation" in the public square.

"I'm not looking for teachers to have prayer every day in the classroom but I do think at special ceremonies - graduation, football games and the like, that calling on our creator is a good idea," he said.

He continued: "I trust in God, and I know you do, and I believe it's appropriate for us to recognize in the public square that we do indeed have a creator and that we trust in our creator, particularly at this time of year," he said.

Also see:

Gingrich 'editing' his words as campaign acknowledges concern

Bachmann camp: Gingrich morphs positions based on 'who's paying'

Perry moving staff to Iowa

Filed under: Faith • Iowa • Mitt Romney
  1. GI Joe

You gonna make them pray to Joseph Smith or the Hindu God?

December 16, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  2. Mike

I agree. More prayers in schools. They should all pray that a republican does NOT win the next election.

December 16, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. TAK

And this is why I will never vote republican again. Just a different flavor of Taliban.

December 16, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. chromigula

December 16, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Bill

Prayer belongs in church, not in schools. These people make me sick.

December 16, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Debbie

I'm a Christian and I absolutely disagree with Romney. First it is more prayer in school (seems on the surface like a good thing) and then its a certain type of prayer is what's needed (again seems not too bad) etc, etc, etc. As a Christian I have faith in a mighty and powerful God and my God does not need Romney, Evangelicals, etc to promote Him. This proves lack of faith in these people calling themselves Christians. They are being decieved by the Deciever. How clever of Lucifer to use faith against the faithful. Christians! Have the faith in God of a mustard seed and open your eyes, the Deceiver is using you.

December 16, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. sue

and I assume they will tell us who to pray to and how to pray and when to pray? maybe they will tell us what to wear and what to eat? and maybe we will all be told how to live..oh wait. they do that already. make them go away. vote for a democrat. at least you can live wthtout being told you are not christian enough

December 16, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Rick

Typical GOP. catering to the extremists now. Can't wait to see how the winner changes his/her stripes when it's general election time and they actually have to make sense.

December 16, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Loser....OK MIttens. At next weeks' football game, we'll all call on Allah for his praise and guidance. Sound good to you? Also, we'll make sure that Muslim crescent is right there on the front lawn of every capital. Right?

December 16, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Woman In California

Which god is that you trust Willard – the god of Joseph Smith and magic underwear?

He's only trying to pander to the right wing extremists and I hope it blows up in his LYING face.

December 16, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If there is the apperance of a state organization endorsing one religion over another, that is wrong. The idea of banning formal prayer in public schools is correct. There will be informal prayers by student - praying for an A on a test.

If we allow prayer in schools, then who's prayers and how often? Would this lead us down a slipperly slope that would allow non-evidence based science teachings (intelligent design AKA creationism) in science class? I hope that this is undestood that those things should not be allowed in schools.

December 16, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

chromigula - What if my god is Odin and he demands battle with axes for prayer? We're okay to do that in the public square?

Good question. Run it by the IRS and see if they agree its a religion and give it tax exempt status. If they don't might I suggest Pay Per View?

December 16, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Bertina

Yes because prayer in schools will increase jobs. Its the economy stupid.

December 16, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. jo

Let's see what does a prayer to Joseph Smith say?
    Do you have to put on 'underwear' to say it?

December 16, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. rick

Not to worry. He will change his mind after Iowa. Pathetic.

December 16, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Ian

I'm glad Romney is finally on board. We do need more prayer...5 times a day to the East.

December 16, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Fun2beme

I’m a Mormon and I totally disagree with Mitt Romney. More prayer at home (not school) is neede as the solution to strengthening our families, our communities and our nation.

December 16, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. LovesIrony

Are 5 prayers facing east enough for you Mitt?

December 16, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. Jariv

@GI Joe . So ignorant you are. No wonder God hasn't given you any intelligence. You probably will use it against your Americans. All the comments you have posted trough the day have been very ignorant in nature and prejudice. Who told you Mormons pray to Joseph Smith ? Go to church Man. Maybe God will enlight you to see good in people and not lie about others and deceive really.

@Debbie – That goes for you too. Very ignorant in my opinion. I know you don't agree, but that is kind of dome for a lack of a better word at the moment to say Lucifer uses faith against the faithful. How is that possible. You can say people deceive and tell lies against the faithful. But, over all you lack knowledge to speak about the topic. I can kind of say that you are the deceiver really. That's my opinion.

December 16, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Sam

Help! My statue is bleeding!

December 16, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. Jariv

People – No one is telling you they are going to force you to pray.

December 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. David

Part of the mandate of Mormons is converting others, don't throw your cult down the throats of the american people.

December 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

Wrong, Willard. In this country, there have been states who did expressly support one church over another, and, as a former Governor of MA, you should know that your state was the last one to drop state-support of one Church: as a result, religious diversity skyrocketedin the country, ushering in the Second Great Awakening. New York's insistence on using the King James Bible as the main means of teaching children to read resulted in the Catholic school system being established in this country so kids would not be forced to have their religious beliefs compromised by the state. It is the dominance of one faith or sect over others that has liberals concerned: most of us really don't care what or if you worship. The TX court case over school prayer involved an LDS family filing suit against the local school district. The ACLU supported that case, Mitt: its a pity you seem to be defending the Conservatives' War on Religion just because you are pandering for votes, while ignoring easily accessible facts as to why liberals are concerned over state sponsorship of religion in any form.

December 16, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  24. Dave

Cool. Can we all get some magic underwear to go with that?

December 16, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. Anonymous

I wanna hear one of O'Donnell's witchy prayers at graduation!

December 16, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |