Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims
December 17th, 2011

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

(CNN) – A day after a GOP presidential debate, White House hopeful Ron Paul upbraided rival candidate Michele Bachmann for disliking Muslims.

"She hates Muslims," Paul said on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Friday. "She wants to go get 'em."

Paul failed to elaborate further. His remarks follow his heated exchange with Bachmann during Thursday night's debate when the two argued about Iran's nuclear development program.

Paul strongly disputed Bachmann's claim that Iran was "within just months" of developing a nuclear bomb and blasted U.S. sanctions against Iran as an "act of war."

A staunch non-interventionist, Paul urged the government to use diplomats to resolve the situation.

Bachmann, in response, ripped into Paul's position, describing it as one that seriously underestimates Iran's intentions.

"I think I have never heard a more dangerous answer for American security than the one that we just heard from Ron Paul," Bachmann said, receiving wide applause.

The International Atomic Energy Agency released a 14-page report on Nov. 8 concluding there were "credible" and "serious concerns regarding possible military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program."

Both candidates continued to argue about the issue, creating one of the most intense moments of the night.

Bachmann pointed to the Iranian constitution, saying the Islamic republic's "mission is to extend jihad across the world and eventually to set up a worldwide caliphate."

She added: "We would be fools and knaves to ignore their purpose and their plan."

Paul quickly fired back, saying he, too, didn't want to see Iran with a nuclear weapon. But he said that Bachmann was portraying a skewed view of the Muslim world.

"To declare war on 1.2 billion Muslims and say all Muslims are the same, this is dangerous talk," Paul said. "Yeah, there are some radicals, but they don't come here to kill us because we're free and prosperous."

Responding to Paul's answer on "The Tonight Show," Bachmann on Saturday said his statement was "outrageous."

"Of course I don't hate Muslims. That's an absolutely outrageous statement. What I love are Americans and the American people," she said at a campaign stop in Iowa.

She went on to claim that the "true hatred" was coming from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who in 2005 quoted a remark from Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of Iran's Islamic revolution, that Israel "must be wiped out from the map of the world."

"As Commander-in-Chief I will stand for the safety and security of the American people. I think, quite frankly, with all due respect to my colleague, that Ron Paul would make a very dangerous president because he doesn't understand this threat," she said.

Paul's answer about Bachmann on Leno's show Friday night came amid a lightning round of questions from the TV host, who asked Paul to comment on each of his presidential rivals.

The Texas congressman gave a similar answer when Leno mentioned former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, a strong social conservative who frequently takes a strong conservative stance on gay rights.

Paul said Santorum doesn't like "gay people and Muslims."

And as for the current front-runners, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Paul gained laughs when he said the two candidates should go back to their old jobs.

– CNN's Chris Welch contributed to this report.

Also see:

Gingrich 'editing' his words as campaign acknowledges concern

Bachmann camp: Gingrich morphs positions based on 'who's paying'

Perry moving staff to Iowa

Filed under: 2012 • Iran • Jay Leno • Michele Bachmann • Ron Paul
  1. 4th Eagle of the Apocolypse

Thankfully we don't have idiot Bachmann with her finger on the red button. I will do everything within my power to make sure she never does.

December 17, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. billindeep

ronnie wins; the truth burns!

paul is no politican either... he's a guy ripping apart the neocon nonsense for the rest of us.

December 17, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. James Kruk

I'd like to see some candidates speaking before major Muslim forums, the same way they do for Jewish forums. Please?

December 17, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. frootyme

Michele Bachmann read the Bible very good.
    Submit to husband. Kill everyone who doesn't believe in her religion.

December 17, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. u2canbfmj

Headline "Bachmann rebuttal to Paul's charge with her own, Ron Paul hates the Fed"

December 17, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Nadine

Finally somebody is willing to tell the truth. That's not even something she can deny.

December 17, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Texico

Someone should ask Ron Paul why he endorses The John Birch Society. Some of those racists members are the ones that helped kill JFK.! Look into H.L. Hunet, Clint Murchinson, the Koch Brothers etc....all racist rich white pigs. I was a Ron Paul supporter until I find out he and the Birchers are very close! Go Google it for yourselves.

December 17, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. dp

i thought all americans hated muslims?

December 17, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. abby

Bachmann hates anyone who does not follow her extreme fundamentalist Christian ideology.... There is something very pathological in her thinking....

December 17, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. katy heys

Ron Paul is a very smart man and Michele Bachmann does not have a very good handle on what is going on in the world and is too quick to send us to war with Iran. Reminds me of that last idiot, GWB. But no fears, there isn't a snow ball's chance in you-know-where that she will ever be elected POTUS, much less nominated.

December 17, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. Joe D

I agree with her. I don't want Muslims to take over and have Sharia law in the US like they are getting in the UK. Muslims are intolerant. You cannot have a christian church in many Muslim countries. But they want to practice their so called religion of hate here. One day hopefully Germany and other countries will deal with them. Maybe we will have the guts to do something. Before it is to late.

December 17, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. John

Absolute TRUTH!

December 17, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. katy heys

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Ron Paul were elected President. Every time he speaks, I think better of him.

December 17, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. George Washington Hayduke III

I do not excuse the mullahs and other crazies in Iran for their madness. But I also do not excuse the Americans their ignorance. For very action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In 1953, Britain and the US facilitated the overthrow of Iran's democratically elected government in Operation Ajax. Since then, we have been enemies.

December 17, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. Hashim

for more insight into Iran and other developments in the Middle East read novel - king of Bat'ha

December 17, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. Len Smith

Why would anyone want to vote for Ron Paul? or Bachmann as she is out of her league and what might be called a " Know Nothing". Paul at least has a brain, might not be able to think clearly, but he does have a brain. BRING ON THE CLOWNS OF THE REPUBLICAN PARY it has been great entertainment.

December 17, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  17. TORPEDO

MR PAUL IS VERY DANGEROUS TO USA THIS IS WHERE BETTER admitted to a Nursing Home

December 17, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. S.Schulz

Did Iran really say "Israel should be wiped off the map"?
    The Washington Post explains that the phrase "Israel should be wiped off the map" was mistranslated by a New York times reporter, and that the correct translation was that Israel will be forgotton when a regime change takes place, as what happened to the Soviet Union no longer being known as a country and is now known as Russia.
    Michelle Bachman is incorrect and perpetuates a false statement when she says that Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map. War is horrible, and anyone who would casually endorse war over diplomacy does not deserve to be President of ANY country.

December 17, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. Mycology

She doesn't hate muslims, she wants muslims to stop their global jihad and madness which affects the entire world, not only Israel.

December 17, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. Rafflee

This woman is clueless, full hatred and need to go back to being housewife only.....how could she be submissive when she likes screaming and saying excuse me...excuse me......I just couldn't she be that way.....she is more like Whiny piney woman .

December 17, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. chrisnot

When I was in school during the mid 60's I had the good fortune of having an Iranian roomate for a semester. He was a Muslim, he was an excellent student, an enthusiastic participant in school activities and an excellent source for me to become aware of another culture. In many, many respects our hopes and aspirations (we were 17/18 yrs old at the time) were very, very similiar. I don't think I'd be far of base if I said he represented a great number of Iranians, that is, they are good people. 45 years have passed but I am confident his character has remained the same as have those others there. Does the government there represent him? I don't think so.

December 17, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. Mark

More ridiculousness from Crazy Uncle Ron, fully supported of course by his following of internet spammers.

December 17, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Christian

The only Anti-Imperialist in the crowd. Ron Paul will get my vote in 2012.

December 17, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. dewd

He said dislikes NOT hates.

December 17, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Hank Xavier

Ron Paul won me over. He's getting my money and my vote.

December 17, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |