Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims
December 17th, 2011

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

(CNN) – A day after a GOP presidential debate, White House hopeful Ron Paul upbraided rival candidate Michele Bachmann for disliking Muslims.

"She hates Muslims," Paul said on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Friday. "She wants to go get 'em."

Paul failed to elaborate further. His remarks follow his heated exchange with Bachmann during Thursday night's debate when the two argued about Iran's nuclear development program.

Paul strongly disputed Bachmann's claim that Iran was "within just months" of developing a nuclear bomb and blasted U.S. sanctions against Iran as an "act of war."

A staunch non-interventionist, Paul urged the government to use diplomats to resolve the situation.

Bachmann, in response, ripped into Paul's position, describing it as one that seriously underestimates Iran's intentions.

"I think I have never heard a more dangerous answer for American security than the one that we just heard from Ron Paul," Bachmann said, receiving wide applause.

The International Atomic Energy Agency released a 14-page report on Nov. 8 concluding there were "credible" and "serious concerns regarding possible military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program."

Both candidates continued to argue about the issue, creating one of the most intense moments of the night.

Bachmann pointed to the Iranian constitution, saying the Islamic republic's "mission is to extend jihad across the world and eventually to set up a worldwide caliphate."

She added: "We would be fools and knaves to ignore their purpose and their plan."

Paul quickly fired back, saying he, too, didn't want to see Iran with a nuclear weapon. But he said that Bachmann was portraying a skewed view of the Muslim world.

"To declare war on 1.2 billion Muslims and say all Muslims are the same, this is dangerous talk," Paul said. "Yeah, there are some radicals, but they don't come here to kill us because we're free and prosperous."

Responding to Paul's answer on "The Tonight Show," Bachmann on Saturday said his statement was "outrageous."

"Of course I don't hate Muslims. That's an absolutely outrageous statement. What I love are Americans and the American people," she said at a campaign stop in Iowa.

"As Commander-in-Chief I will stand for the safety and security of the American people. I think, quite frankly, with all due respect to my colleague, that Ron Paul would make a very dangerous president because he doesn't understand this threat," she said.

Paul's answer about Bachmann on Leno's show Friday night came amid a lightning round of questions from the TV host, who asked Paul to comment on each of his presidential rivals.

The Texas congressman gave a similar answer when Leno mentioned former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, a strong social conservative who frequently takes a strong conservative stance on gay rights.

Paul said Santorum doesn't like "gay people and Muslims."

And as for the current front-runners, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Paul gained laughs when he said the two candidates should go back to their old jobs.

– CNN's Chris Welch contributed to this report.

Also see:

Gingrich 'editing' his words as campaign acknowledges concern

Bachmann camp: Gingrich morphs positions based on 'who's paying'

Perry moving staff to Iowa

Filed under: 2012 • Iran • Jay Leno • Michele Bachmann • Ron Paul
  1. mike

he should reread that IAEA report. and CNN has already hopped on the bandwagon of the war with Iran, just the other day they played some crap trying to say that Iran was connected to 9/11!

December 17, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Big Al

She may hate Muslims, but he hates everyone. He's a testy, mean spirited old man who allowed his aide – Kent Snyder – to die penniless of pneumonia for lack of insurance. And pity to all those fools who have joined his cult of personality thinking that his sick, sick view of every-man-for-himself is the way to unify a nation and solve this country's woes. His extremist ways would amount to nothing short of disbanding the govermnent and ultimately the U.S. He's a rich, selfish, crotchey old fool, so full of hate for anything but himself. Wake up, America. Unity, not individualism, will be the survival of the nation.

December 17, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Slowpoke

"Michele Bachmann hates Muslims"

BREAKING NEWS

December 17, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. guy

let's be honest... it's not just her that is for war w iran... it's the whole republican field, except for ron paul. thank god there is a single man of peace and wisdom. THEY call HIM crazy? they are the ones that are paranoid and sacrificing civil liberties in the name of the war on terror and the war on drugs through scare campaigns...enough!

December 17, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Mohammed Hazari

Many Muslims share conservative views about abortion, family values, and ethical spending. Many Muslims are physicians, engineers, and lawyers. Bachman just lost my vote and many others.

December 17, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. kebcarerra

Ron Paul tells it like it is.

December 17, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. Mohammed Hazari

If she said she hates Jews, she would be labeled antisemitic. When its Muslims people just shrug there shoulders. She lost my vote.

December 17, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Mindie in Indie

What I love are Americans and the American people," she said .....unless they are muslim.

December 17, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Kathy

Speaking as a liberal, I think Ron Paul is the only rational, intelligent candidate that the right has. He's absolutely correct here. He makes sense. Too much sense to get the nomination.

December 17, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. PCF

Ron Paul was asked questions and he gave honest answers. That is something you don't see from other candidates. The interview on Leno's Tonight Show was the best interview so far with Ron Paul. Much better than the lamestream media run debates. Paul actually had a chance to lay out his position on all the issues.

December 17, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Mohammed Hazari

All republicans seem to hate Muslims. I still loath Gingrich's insensitive comments about Palestine. No way in heck will I vote for the SSS or Nazi party. Replace Jews with Muslims.

December 17, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Just a guy

I think most people are seeing some common sense in Paul, something that is hard to detect in other politicians. No one wants another war. Its a big chance Ron Paul will be president in 2012.

December 17, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Ron Paul is the only candidate that can bring common sense back to the Washington and the US

December 17, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. Slightly Left of Center

I love the picture! I can almost hear Ron Paul saying, "Now wait just a minute there, little missy, while I teach you a thing or two."

In fact, I think these blogs would a lot more fun if everyone wrote a caption to go with the photos they use :)

December 17, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Kevin

CNN should really fact-check their stories. Ahmadinejad never once used that quote.

December 17, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. Jerry

When can we get some ADULT politicians to run for President? All this name calling between the Obama Administration and the GOP is childish! Between the GOP members is stupid.

December 17, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  17. George Washington

Hey Paul, That's OK, I hate muslim-garbage too, I don't think I want you or any other MF who actually tolerates or likes that refuse.

December 17, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  18. wch

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have made up my mind that I will be voting for Ron Paul. The more and more I look into him, the more I realize he's the only one who's honest and candid, and he's the only one who offers honest solutions to our many, many problems.

December 17, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  19. ElectionWatch

What I love are Americans and the American people," I can smell a lie here, She went on to claim that the "true hatred" was coming from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who in 2005 quoted a remark from Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of Iran's Islamic revolution, that Israel "must be wiped out from the map of the world." I think she means "What I love are Israel and Israel's People.

It is not the election of American President, it is election of who can be more loyal to Israel and show love to Israelis. I have no problem with it but don't lie.

December 17, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  20. Vet4RonPaul

Bachmann doesn't hate Muslims, she just wants to nuke them all.
    Gingrich, Romney, Bachmann – Chicken-Hawk-Commander-In-Chief; to chicken to serve in the military but too hawkish with other people's lives. Pathetic cowards. I served 4 years active duty; the troops will hate being led by hypocrits like them. Only Ron Paul is pro-peace, pro-freedom and pro-right-to-bear-arms. I'm all-in for Ron.

December 17, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  21. The Chosen One

Every candidate besides Paul are war-mongering two-faced idiots. I mean, why not spend wadloads of money on the military, I mean it's not like America has a debt or anything.

December 17, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  22. Cyphase

I guess Wolf sent out a memo. This article used the term non-interventionist, not isolationist.

December 17, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  23. Keith, US Citizen living in Canada

Bachmann says: "We would be fools and knaves to ignore their purpose and their plan." Knave is Middle English, from Old English cnafa, boy, male servant. Does she mean naive??? Is Backmann NUTS??

December 17, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  24. Paul F.Dot

Dr. Paul just telling it like it is. Lighten up people.

December 17, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  25. greeneyes

Ron Paul lives in a fairy tale world. Sure, we'd all love a world with no war but it's not gonna happen. Ron Paul has a lot of good points but they're the basic ideas of every American. Sorry people but he's just too old to be elected. We need someone who has a lot of experience, a good head on their shoulders and the guts to follow through,.................
    Newt Gingrich. There's no one up there to be worthy of VP either.

December 17, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |