Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. Buster Bloodvessel

Kinsey disproved the idea that society has any impact on your gender identification. That ten percent has been true since the Fifties and never gets any bigger, no matter who wins American Idol.

December 19, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. Andy H

If she was forced to answer unanticipated questions and returned hackneyed, unscripted replies.....well then that would just be yet one more example of the left wing elites trying to discredit her. A brilliant strategy indeed, ask me no questions and I'll continue to tell my lies.

December 19, 2011 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. I can see Russia from my house

"The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving"

Yeah, that's why! It has nothing to do with the possibility of her saying something stupid.

December 19, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  4. Im always right

Gay rights are from what is important during this election, Our economic future is what matters, any candidate that spends any amount of time on gay rights would not get my vote, gay rights should be a state responsibility not federal.

December 19, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  5. Im always right

The Kinsey report is a myth, false information and propaganda.

December 19, 2011 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  6. Nathaniel Carter

Wow... A rare instance where Bachmann is actually correct. Most sexologists do not use Kinsey's 10% figure, and the consensus is that Kinsey's study on the number of homosexuals suffered from sampling bias. The most accepted figure is 3-5%. But like the old saying goes, even a broken watch is right twice a day.

December 19, 2011 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  7. Phil in KC

Any time science gets in the way of their religion, the right-wingers just dismiss it as a 'myth' or 'junk science' or some other epithet. Yet, they have no proof of their beliefs except that is the way they were raised. I do not mean to denigrate their religion; everyone is entitled to their beliefs. But they owe me the courtesy not to denigrate what I believe in return.

December 19, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  8. CapitalisticCommunist

She's not out there for votes; she's out there to get those lucrative book deals and speaking arrangements.. See Sarah Palin and most likely Herman Cain.

December 19, 2011 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  9. dave

"No Questions" was part of the Bush formula. Bachman needs the other part where you stack the crowd with your supporters

December 19, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  10. Randy

Homosexuality is not something that needs to be sanctioned and normalized by society. It is deviant sexual behavior.

December 19, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  11. John in Brooklyn

The only myth is Bachman's science and her husband's quack therapy practice. Repairative therapy has consistently shown to fail (because it seeks to pathologize something that isn't a pathology) and has consistently been denounced by the American Psychiatric and American Psychological Associations.

December 19, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  12. stacey

I understand not wanting to take questions because you want to be quick, but it is a highly ineffective way to conduct a campaign. It indicates that the entire group has lost touch with what it means to reach out to the people you're HOPING to represent. If my highest representative in government did not want to make the time for me when she wanted to get my vote, then I'm not confident that she'll have my best interests at heart when she has the power to govern. It's better to spend more time with a few people who then can speak highly of you to those you could not meet than to disappoint crowd after crowd with indifference.

December 19, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  13. demogal

The real myth is that Bachmann has a brain and/or sincerely tries to use it.

December 19, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  14. Rod in Dallas TX

No questions policy huh? I guess she doesn't want to stick her foot in her mouth (again) so close to the primary.

December 19, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. Ray

Bachman and her loons think Kinsey is a myth but she believes that the earth is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs lived amongst people. SHE IS CRAZY!!

December 19, 2011 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  16. Marco

There is really no reason for Michelle Bachmann.

December 19, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  17. sortakinda

I don't know why Bachmann is afraid of questions. All she ever does is blurt out whatever is in her dang fool head.

December 19, 2011 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  18. wakiash

Just a couple of goobers.

December 19, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  19. LuciousLB

Wow, the lady's approach is to lure Bachman in with a lie (her sign) then the same woman is supposed to be the voice of reason and honesty? I'd say the band "The Roots" should focus their song dedications to this lady instead of Bachman. What trashy behaviour...

December 19, 2011 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  20. anagram_kid

I suspect this no question policy will work for Bachman about as well as it did for Sharon Angle.

December 19, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  21. JiminNM

All our choices have consequences. Convincing other people that it is okay to make a choice doesn't eliminate the consequences whether they be good or bad.

December 19, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  22. Paul

Blessed are those who seek after righteousness and are persecuted for seeking righteousness. God bless Ms. Bachman.

December 19, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  23. Alice

Everyone isn't equal. That's a myth. Treat everyone with respect but don't insist everyone is equal in every aspect. The small percentage of the population that is gay shouldn't drive policy any more than the NFL should modify the rules of the game so that slower, fatter men can "compete". If you don't want a gay person working in your company, then you shouldn't have to hire them. If they are talented, I'll hire them; they will be happier working with me and we'll have a win,win,win. As far as "pray the gay away", you either believe in God's power and love or you don't.

December 19, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  24. Doug

Michelle Bachman is right to criticize the Kinsey report. Since it came out in the fifties, several better studies on sexual behavior have been conducted. CNN should have checked that out. Michelle Bachman often gets her facts wrong. However, here she was correct. In academia, there is not much support for the 10% figure for the gay population. The best figures are that 2-4% of the population is gay. About 8 % of the population experience at least some sexual desire for people of the same gender.

December 19, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  25. Scott in Atlanta

Beware of the Hetero-se-xu@l agenda!!!

December 19, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |