Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. John

Move in fast, smile a lot, avoid saying anything of substance. Sounds like just the kind of "transparency" we want running the country. NOT!

December 19, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  2. smokin1011

Oft-quoted percentage, but doesn't match reality. Census reports less than 1% of the population as gay. The Family Research Report says "around 2-3% of men, and 2% of women, are homosexual or bisexual." Even the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force estimates three to eight percent of both sexes.

December 19, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  3. Ed

Why would anyone even want to ask her questions? We all know she's a complete idiot.

December 19, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  4. munkittrick

Bachmann is not only NOT in-touch with the heart of America, but she has no respect for people's ideas and beliefs. As a person who claims to be a religiously motivated candidate, she leaves a LOT of facts at the door when she shows up to speak. She denies that she hates Muslims, but spits the venom of a person who DOES, in fact hate them. She claims to be religious, but acts against every single tenant of the Christian faith. I think she's fine to look at, and even more fun to hear....but there's no reality in her reality check.

December 19, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  5. PhilG

Gotta admit, she is one of the more entertaining rodeo clowns. Facts be damned. Studies be damned. She and her lovely husband Marcus are just two homophobes who deny anything they disagree with. Confront her with facts and she puts on the tape loop "I will repeal Obamacare." Doesn't even matter if the question has zero to do with healthcare. She and Mr. Pray away the Gay are morons. But, they do provide some comic relief.

December 19, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  6. Maryann - Orlando FL

Running for President, but doesn't answer any questions? I think I'll try that on my next job interview.

December 19, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  7. JJ

The fastest way to show the world you're not ready for real politics is to prevent anyone from asking questions. Nice job you gay-hating-whacko...

December 19, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  8. Jay

She is a Christian and all Christians who go through life proclaiming "I AM A CHRSITIAN" believes in the values and ideals taught by Christ unless you happen to disagree with the so-called Christian or live your life differently then they do and then its HATE ON! Whenever I hear someone say "I am a Christian" – I just wait to hear something hateful and/or bigotted come out of their mouth. Guess what I haven't been disappointed yet! Thank God I believe in God & Jesus and know that I am flawed but loved none the less even if I don't walk around announcing to all the world that I AM A CHRISTIAN!

December 19, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  9. Mike

So is the Kinsey report accurate? Really. I've heard yes, I've heard no, I've seen other polls and I want to know.

Way to fact check that one CNN. Staying on the ball as an "impartial" source by not checking verifiable facts about reality.

December 19, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  10. Dub1045

You would not vote for Michelle Bachmann for her perceived dislike of Gays? WTH? We have laws on the books that would fill up office buildings, regulating and defending the personal rights of individuals to be whatever, Straight, Gay, Bi. This is not an issue to decide a leader of our country on. If she will defend and protect our country and enforce the laws of same then the Gays have nothing to worry about. I would not vote for her if she said she was an activist for gay issues. The laws are already there.

December 19, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  11. Ed

Typical GOP bigotry.

December 19, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  12. Ronb39339

Weren't those statistics Schnell was quoting compiled from prisons & mental institutions?
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that gays are such a large percentage of the populations of such places.
    Less than 1% of the general population, though.

as we Christians say, & should practice better, hate the sin, but love the sinner.

December 19, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. Saying a fact isn't a fact doesn't make it not a fact

Mr Bachmann was overheard to also say, "Iowa is just FAB-U-Lous!"

December 19, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  14. Mike S

I'm gay and I'm surprised so many people still support the Kinsey report's stats on homosexuality. Didn't that number include anyone who had ever even played around a bit with another guy? I can see maybe 10% of men in big gay friendly cities being gay, but I doubt it as a nation wide statistic.

December 19, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. susan

She has a tendency to get things wrong. No, I'm not a Newt fan.

December 19, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  16. Bill

The only thing trashy is the Bachman's intolerance and abject stupidity on every issue that matters.

December 19, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  17. jc

Too bad that the 18 yr old, Quentin Hill, did not get to ask his question because you would like to think that nothing is off limits but these things are so scripted that I am not surprised. To give her, and other candidates, the benefit of the doubt, I am sure the entire campaign could consist of sitting online and just answering nonstop questions but still......imperfect system I guess

December 19, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  18. Rudy NYC

Rep. Bachmann isn't stupid, nor any other negative remark about her intellegence. What comes across sometimes as lack of knowledge is actually denial of the facts the do not fit her desired world view.

December 19, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  19. Dave

Even if the 10% figure is correct, the conclusion that 2.8 of Bachmann's children are gay is an incorrect application of the statistic. Ten percent would be a POPULATION mean. It cannot be accurately applied to a sample (i.e., Bachmann's children). Would be like saying that because 50% of Americans are female, 50% of your children must be female. Dumb math....

December 19, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  20. JPX

It is for reasons like this that Bachmann could never be a presidential contender. Her denial of science/research is classic cognitive dissonance (i.e. she cannot believe the research because it would go against her political opinion. Her husband, by the way, does not have a legitimate degree, he obtained it online.

December 19, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Rsprings

I hate it when someone with an agenda ambushes a candidate and aks a question or makes a comment in a no win way for the candidate to respond. The comment about the Bachmann's kids was unnecessary. 1Being gay doesn't give you vrleges. 0% of the population may be gay and a large % of that population is .... well different that "normal" gays. You know what I mean.

December 19, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  22. Tom

The right-wing religious nuts do a disservice to Christianity.

December 19, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  23. aldo

Not taking questions? Then you're not really a candidate. Very lame.

December 19, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  24. Saboth

"Studies and science. Fie on it! This is the only book I need to study!" /holds up a Bible.

December 19, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. JD

How does she expect to win if it's 'get in and out' without answering questions?

December 19, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |