Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. JakeIowa

Seriously? This article is attempting to divert people away from actual issues. Gay rights are no longer a major issue, at least not in IOWA. If your state is anti-gay, complain to your state reps. The President should support less government control. In Iowa, Gays already receive equal benefits from employers just like married straight people. YES, these rights should be nationalized! A MORE IMPORTANT National issue is the decriminalization of "POT". Gays are not put in jail for being gay are they? I didn't think so... I would also argue that a larger population consumes marijuana as opposed the the gay population. Just Sayin...

December 19, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Javadude54

Michele Bachmann knows she's right because the voices in her head tell her so.

December 19, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. rick

"Suicide is extremely destructive to oneself "

Done right it is

December 19, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. wwf

She is first on this site because???????????

December 19, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. southside mike

She is one scary reactionary!

December 19, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  6. Greg Shaffer

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that a Republican in general, or Ms. Bachmann in particular, would dismiss an empirical, peer-reviewed scientific fact that runs contrary to her ideology. The Republican party in general never ceases to amaze when it comes to the degree to which they allow their confirmation bias to run completely amok.

December 19, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. tokencode

That's Bachmann alright, never let punny facts get in the way of bigotry

December 19, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Andrew

Well I for one do not think there is a gay gene. But if there were, would it's evolutional purpose be like other genes that Darwin would say are meant to keep the best genes evolving since the gay gene would stop at its current carrier. You see, I have nothing against gay's or lesbian's but you do realize that to have children you need a man and a woman and therefore I don't think god meant for gay's or lesbians to have kids and carry on their bloodlines.

December 19, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Tony

I bet that "scary peepers" was tongue tied on that one.

December 19, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. AQ

What will she say when her husband finally comes out of the closet (not that he doesn't already have one foot out the door). She is a racist, ignorant, hateful, bitter person who should never have been given *any* political position.

December 19, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Cedar Rapids

She didnt research this herself. Instead she got a letter from someone's mother telling her it was a myth.

December 19, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Matt STL

Her interview on Meet the Press was awkward yet entertaining. She was using the "it's a fact because I'm ingoring David Gregory and talking over him while he's trying to correct a blantant lie I just told" stragegy.

December 19, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Cedar Rapids

"doug
    .....Jesus never hated anyone and since hate is only found in Democrats not Republicans"

sarcasm right? had to be.

"he wouldn't endorse a president who calls those who simply disagree with him the enemy and a vice president who calls them terrorists."

Bush: either with us or against us.

December 19, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. Matt STL

Her "campaign" is obiviously her just trying to pull a Palin so she can make some money publishing nonsense books and speaking at extremist conventions. How long will it be until she says she can wave to Santa since the mangnetic North pole keeps moving farther into Canada?

December 19, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. Legalize Industrial Hemp

Can anyone imagine President Obama "not answering questions"? There is the difference, if you cant find anything else.

December 19, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. Douglas

Maybe she learned a lesson from the Perry Implosion... each time he opened his mouth, he sunk in the polls. Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt, eh?

December 19, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  17. Kevin

That college student in the article made a very good point. When you're president, you represent ALL Americans, including gay Americans. So if you don't acknowledge it then you can't truly represent America. She and other political candidates NEED to stop being so ignorant to the gay issue.

December 19, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. GwynniesPapa

Like her pal palin Michelle should realize that there will be no Hail to the Chief. Pray away the gay Michelle. Dispute facts with no counter inteligence. A clinic that accepts tax payers dollars. Done

December 19, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Gina

She's actually right. I'm far far far from being a supporter of Bachmann but the actual percentage is about 4% in men and 2-3 % in women. Kinsey's Report was horrible in terms of research samples, etc. I hate to have anything in common with her but 10% is way high of an estimate.

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Annatala

And now we see why the campaign has a "no questions" policy.

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. Error

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.
    - Douglas Adams

December 19, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. Anomic Office Drone

If this woman dealt in facts she would have dropped out of the race by now.

December 19, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. David

I wouldn't think it would be 10%, basing that on people I know. I know that a lot of people are still in the closet, and don't talk about such things, but I don't really buy the 10% figure. I am accepting of gays, I see no reason to judge them, or infringe on their rights as citizens of the United States. At my highschool of 1100 people there wasn't even close to 110 gay people, or in my family I have 3.

December 19, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Pauletteb

Bachmann's husband is obviousy a product of that so-called "cure."

December 19, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. Buster Bloodvessel

Yes, the Kinsey Report was flawed in several ways and didn't initially survey a large enough group. That's why Masters and Johnson did their surveys and tests and got pretty much the same result. The Bachmanns are delusional people.

December 19, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |