Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. Anonymous

December 19, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. jared

"Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington." ie: She's okay with gay's, but not blacks.

December 19, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. MarkInPDX

Why do we continually allow ourselves to get caught up in these questions about numbers and causes? The reality is that it doesn't matter if we're .01% of the population or 90% of the population, nor does it matter why we're gay. We just are. And we don't need to justify it by pumping up our numbers or discussing "nature vs. nuture". In the end, what matters is whether discrimination and bigotry is codified into law. As long as it is, we should fight it, and we should fight those, like Bachmann, who would maintain the status quo.

December 19, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. Buster Bloodvessel

Trends come and go, but poor doug is still insane. Get help, doug. You sound about ten minutes from a shooting spree every time you post.

December 19, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Mikey

Whatever happened to free speech? I get "moderated" consistently but cannot determine why. I believe my observations are not PC enough. Why have a discussion if what is not what you want to hear not allowed. Please allow opposing opinions not just what you want to hear.

December 19, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. Ol' Yeller

Just a bubble from the pool of drowning zealots in the race of the GOP wannabees, trying to out-christian her rivals. She's toast and too dumb to know it. One of the more scarey ones, but we still have Newt up there... waiting to self destruct.

December 19, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. Ed - Rochester, NY

A republican disputes scientific conclusions?! Say it ain't so!

December 19, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. ten

Statistics can be misleading. Just like how they add "homeless people" to the list if they are living with relatives.

December 19, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Obvious

50%, 10%, or 0.5%...I did not know there was an acceptable limit for discrimination

December 19, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Church of Suicidal

When asked for proof that Kinsey's figures were wrong, she replied that someone told her so at a campaign rally.

December 19, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Robert

Religious Conservatives are brain-dead and very un-spiritual beings. I know that because God just spoke to me about it.

December 19, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. ten

good comment MarklnPDX but I hope your fighting Obama too who doesn't beleive in gay marriage or is Obama just lying to get elected. Gov't should stay out of peoples lives.

December 19, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Anonymous

"Why even write an article on this? She's not a contender in the race. Her ignorance, and that of her husband, is not worth reporting on."

Stirring up the masses (voters) to fight against one another has been a major theme at CNN for the last few years. Now that Cain is out of the picture, the bigotry of Michele Bachmann is next in the *let's keep 'em ripping at each other* category. Minus the facts. CNN itself doesn't like fact based articles. Just throw out a bunch of innuendo for the people to fight over and let 'em rip each other up.

December 19, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. anagram_kid

MarkInPDX, excellent post!!! What matters in this debate is that as long as there are financial benefits to being married and the government gets to decide who is married, this will be an issue. I think one solution is to either end the tax advantages for being married or open up these benefits to contractual relationships. I would think the Tea Party would be all over this!

December 19, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. LacrosseMom(real one)

This woman is a typical closed minded, ignorant, bigoted Conservative! The Republican party should be embarrassed to have Bachman as one of their congressional members and candidate! Can the GOP drop any lower?

Praying that America wakes up and SEES the idiots running for the presidency on the GOP side!! Pathetic!!!

OBAMA 2012............ YES WE CAN!

December 19, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Kay

Exactly how Sarah Palin would have handled her campaign. Talk, talk, talk, no questions, no comment. Then, expect to get elected.

December 19, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Mike from Philly - all my life

Is there anything that this gal is not wrong about? It is a total condemnation of this country that she is on the House Intelligence Committee. Just another sign that the GOP holds intelligence in such low regard. Are we not men? We ARE Devo!

December 19, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Willow

Bauchman might be right on this one. It is not really know how many people are gay in the US because there are gay people who don't want it known that they are gay. There have been other studies since Kinsey (which is an old study) and the findings vary from 5% to 10%.

December 19, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Atul Chaudhary

It is a disease that humans are trying to figure out. It is curable as it has been cured. You can shout and scream to drown my voice but I will say it again and again, it is a curable disease. I don't hate people, I just don't like the disease.

December 19, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. Ian Jellico

Quoting Mrs. Gump when speaking to her son Gump: "Stupid is, as stupid does"

December 19, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. Arun

Someone please tell Michelle that the person sleeping next to her, husband, is also gay.

December 19, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Bow to Your Crazy Pink-Ass Husband

The real myth is that her husband isn't gay . . . haaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

December 19, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. Yugo

No questions, don't quote scientific evidence or facts. Just shut up and listen to me. Thanks Ms. Bachman. I wrote last week that although I don't agree with any of your positions, I respected at least your feistiness and the work you put into your campaign. But you should never be in a position of leadership. You're a nice lady for the most part, but jeeez, some of your statements are nutty.

December 19, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. LeeAT

I am a Christian, pro-lifer,and believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That being said, I realize that this country that I live in does not share my views 100%, and the POTUS should represent all citizens and not just those who agree with my position. The most destructive thing in our society is how biased we are toward one another. I don't have to agree with you on everything in order to respect you for your views, just like I want to be respected. Too many of us act like children in a sandbox, and resort to hatefulness, and name calling when someone does not share our views, how constructive is that? Rodney King really was on to something when he said, can't we all just get along.

December 19, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. Calvin

Gay people are a myth. They can be healed.

December 19, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |