Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. stevetall

Oh, so the Bachmanns know better that Dr. Alfred Kinsey what is and what is not a 'fact'. Sheesh. If Marcus Bachmann didn't act so gay himself, it would be pathetic rather than laughable. I don't know what these two are so afraid of and why they hate so many groups of people. They hate muslims, gays, liberals, smart people, Democrats, etc., etc., etc. How can these clowns consider themselves Christians when they hate so many people?

December 19, 2011 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  2. BinMesa

She and her ilk want to use the government to shove their beliefs (factless) down our throats. I do not want them knocking on my door or in any position that will enable them to write laws that limit my freedoms.

December 19, 2011 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  3. james ruston`

Please, please Iowa. Vote for Michele.

December 19, 2011 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  4. Charles

I'm not a Bachmann supporter, but she has a point. I seem to recall that Kinsey was criticized by other researchers for his methodology. He estimated that 10 percent of the population was gay based on surveys that asked if participants had ever had even a single homosexual experience, but most of the surveys were of prison inmates because they were the only ones who could be compelled to answer the question. Not exactly a representative sample of the general population. Again, nothing against gay people, but I just don't believe they represent 10 percent of the population. My wife works in theater and about half her friends are gay, but I don't believe that means half of America is gay, either.

December 19, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  5. clearfog

Bachmann could easily answer questions, all of the questions. However, most of the answers would be wrong.

December 19, 2011 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  6. msclair

She only cares about her career.

December 19, 2011 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  7. objectothis

I can see why a homosexual would not want to vote for a candidate that does not support their lifestyle since it is correct to say that a president would be representing their interests should they get elected. However, I commend Bachmann for not pandering by just simply trying to lie or speak around the issue. She doesn't believe Kinsey's report was valid and she's not the only one. Kinsey used questionable practices in his surveys.

- straight white guy

December 19, 2011 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  8. Al

Bigot have no place in US PRESIDENTIAL politics. Bachamann should resign now!

December 19, 2011 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  9. LNB

The real myth is that these two people (who live off subsidies and in her case, socialized health care, which is all okay by me, but tout free market rhetoric and anti-gay propaganda) are masquerading as human beings. They both need some of my reparation therapy. It begins with unconditional love, and continues on with honoring everyone for who they are, and ends with kindness. In the darkness of my heart I want them to go away. I do not like them. I am trying....but...I cannot...fanatics...trying to love them....I am, I truly am...her eyes, his fleshy Janus face, I ask my god for forgiveness as I am unable to. I hate them. Through them I fail in my humanity.

December 19, 2011 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  10. Kristopher

She has "No questions allowed" campaign stops? Wow

December 19, 2011 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  11. mmi16

If Gay was a choice – why would one choose to be ostracised and ridiculed by the remainder of society.....Such thinking does not compute! People don't choose to be Gay – they are born and DNA wired that way – just like people don't choose to be black, white or oriental – they are born with the DNA and genitics that make them who they are. Being gay is a inherent genetic circumstance and needs to be restpected as real and as a normal human condition.

Doctor's such as Bachman's husband in saying they can 'cure' gay, are pushing quackery just as the old time medicinal elixir salesman.

December 19, 2011 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  12. Ian

What is the point of traveling around if you're not going to answer questions? What are voters going to get out of that that they can't get by watching her on TV?

December 19, 2011 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  13. fiskenmann

I'm sure that Mr Michele Bachmann drills his wife daily how to respond to gay questions.

December 19, 2011 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  14. Texas Annie

This seems to be how too many of the Republican candidates try to operate these days- come in and do a meet & greet, but they don't want to answer any questions. Everything is scripted to suit them. They don't seem to want to answer the people anymore.
    Well, let me tell you, that's NOT going to get my vote.

December 19, 2011 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  15. Steve

I'm no fan of Bachmann, but she's right. I did a thesis on this. The Kinsey studies had many flaws. The sampling was pretty much as far from random and unbiased as they come. Legitimate samples put the gay proportion of the population around 2%, or 4% if you include bisexuals. Those numbers may have gone up slightly recently, because of changing cultural attitudes (culture is hugely important - a lot of ancient Greek cultures would have thought "what's the big deal?" about Sandusky, if you can believe that - pederasty was an acceptable practice to a lot of them, and was especially common in the military - but they were generally more accurately described as bisexuals, not homosexuals). 10% is clearly way off, though - just think about how many of the people you went to school with are/were gay.

December 19, 2011 04:16 am at 4:16 am |
  16. CTYank

Michelle and Marcus have no problem spouting on something they know nothing about.
    Her suitability for the office of POTUS is a myth. Closed mind. Ignorant. Arrogant.

December 19, 2011 04:16 am at 4:16 am |
  17. Tommy

I am a Republican voter and I think that our candidates should answer the questions of the people as long as they are acting responsibly. I don't have a problem with gay people and think it should be a non issue with the party.

December 19, 2011 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  18. leonid7

I'm not sure how Bachmann can wrap herself in the flag and yet forget the last line of the pledge...i seem to recall the line, 'with liberty and justice for all'. Perhaps she does not know what 'all' means.

December 19, 2011 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  19. NoTags

If you did get to ask Michele a question, you would only have a 50-50 chance of getting a correct answer.

December 19, 2011 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  20. Thad

Down goes Bachman. Down goes Bachman. She got hit with a GAY RIGHTS combination to the gut of 2.8% polling numbers. Time to go back to minnesota. Try to pray the gay away .

December 19, 2011 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  21. BurstBubble

The politicians of today aren't really interested in solving problems, just more smoozing the crowd. It is sort of backwards
    that they don't acknowledge the gays are born just like peoples skin. They are born that way and it is sad that some people think there is something "wrong" with them. I know I learned it first from religion and now I don't buy into that BS. They are just people too. I am not voting for Michelle Bachmann.

December 19, 2011 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  22. Jim

This woman and her husband are totally out of touch with reality. For a congresswoman, she appears to be very ignorant or just decides to ignore certain facts. A candidate who refuses to answer the voter's questions, to "speed things along" doesn't appear to really care what the voters want. I think this woman is devious, very dangerous for America, and hope her home district won't return her to Congress.

December 19, 2011 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  23. tori

This woman is absolutely insane. I wonder what event in her life has brought about this psychopathic animosity towards gay people?

December 19, 2011 05:03 am at 5:03 am |
  24. John in Cal

She's not up to the task of really representing all of us, but she'll do well with who she wants to represent, which is not the middle class,poor,or gays and non religious, immigrints, well you get the point. She is just like any of the other Republicans-only for the few and not the many. give her the boot to.

December 19, 2011 05:10 am at 5:10 am |
  25. Vynn, Milton WA

True....the rate of homosexuality is closer to 4% of the population, less than the 10% proposed in Kensey's 1948 study. We know a lot more about homosexuality than we did in 1948. We now know that homosexuality is NOT a disease, and thus cannot be "cured" with gay reparative therapies, such as those promoted by Marcus Bachmann. and his clinic. We also know that homosexuality is NOT a choice anymore than heterosexuality is a choice. We also know from numerous studies that homosexuality has both a genetic and environmental cause; the enviromental cause coming during fetal development. Thus homosexuals are already so oriented at birth, though the desire to be normal may lead them to experiment with heterosexual relationships after adolesence and into early adulthood.

December 19, 2011 05:34 am at 5:34 am |