Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report
December 18th, 2011

Bachmann pauses in Iowa tour to talk 'myth' of Kinsey Report

Clarion, Iowa (CNN) - Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann continued her super-charged bus tour across Iowa Sunday, attending several more events to shake hands and sign autographs.

Her events have been largely of the meet-and-greet variety - get in and out as fast as she can. The campaign has instituted a "no questions" policy at a majority of her stops this weekend to keep things moving, and that generally applies to both the media and to Iowa voters.

But at her stop at a north central Iowa Pizza Ranch restaurant, she and her husband Marcus were met with a woman wearing a Bachmann sticker who was holding a sign that read: "Gay-friendly Iowan."

"I was wondering if you would sign my sign?" the woman wearing the sticker, who identified herself as Kathy Schnell, asked.

"Gay-friendly Iowan?" Bachmann asked with a small laugh as she signed her name.

Schnell thanked her and followed it with a question that, in reality, was more of a comment.

"I wonder if you're aware that 10% of the population is gay. And if you have 28 children, then 2.8 of those kids are very likely gay."

The congresswoman, within definite earshot as she hovered over Schnell, at first seemed to avoid the question, trying to say "hello" to someone new.

Schnell turned to her friend and said, "She's not listening to me."

Bachmann must have heard that because she then turned back.

"Well, that's according to the Kinsey Report," the candidate replied.

Dr. Alfred Kinsey is best known for conducting interviews with thousands of individuals and publishing his findings in books on human sexual behavior during the 1940s and '50s.

Bachmann's husband, who runs a clinic in their district in Minnesota that has long been accused of conducting "reparative therapy" by trying to help gay individuals become straight, then chimed in.

"Your facts are wrong," he said.

"That's not valid?" Schnell asked back.

"No it isn't," Michele Bachmann said. Her husband added, "No, it's not at all. It's been a myth for many years."

The presidential hopeful then moved to the next table. Schnell pulled off her Bachmann sticker.

Schnell later told CNN she is a Democrat who is not happy with the current Democratic administration and the Democrats in Washington.

Asked if she was surprised Bachmann signed her poster, Schnell said no.

"I think she wants to be a very nice person," Schnell said. "She's adorable. But I just don't think she should be our president."

Schnell wasn't the only one in the room passionate about gay rights. A handful of college students were also on hand in the restaurant at the time, but did not try to raise a question. After the event, however, the group stood outside waving rainbow flags, a common symbol of gay rights support.

Quentin Hill, an 18-year-old student at the University of Iowa, said he wanted to ask her a question as she worked the room but was told ahead of time not to.

"They weren't taking questions today. I asked one of her staffers and I was kind of shut down as soon as I started asking," Hill said, adding that he wanted to ask her about the issue of gay teen suicides.

"I think if you want to be president of the United States, first of all you have to realize that you are representing all Americans including gay Americans and secondly you should be able to answer questions," Hill said.

"If you want my vote, I want to know what you stand for. So I think it's unfortunate that she comes and shakes hands and signs some signs and thinks she's going to get votes out of that."

Also see:

Huntsman: Everyone gets 15 minutes of fame

Paul claims Bachmann 'hates' Muslims

S.C. governor rallies crowd for Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Gay rights • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. 16halo

It's arrongance. I want your vote but I don't value your opinion. Soon it will be "I will allow your the pretense of your vote meaning something just to pacify you."

December 19, 2011 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  2. Earthling

This is a typical reaction from an extremely prejudiced and unintelligent person. If there are facts that prove the invalidity of your assertions, deny them. Stick your fingers in your ears and shout "NANANANANA CAN'T HEAR YOU." This woman and her equally misogynistic husband are living in the 1880's. Willful ignorance will be the downfall of civilization, if we continue to tolerate it.

December 19, 2011 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  3. rafly

I admire her for her stand on her believes toward many issues especially gay issue. It is every one's right. But running for US president and still stuck with that belief is not right. A POTUS must be able to represent all kind differences, and non of Republican candidate does.

December 19, 2011 06:06 am at 6:06 am |
  4. Paolo

What a flake. Pleas god don't let there be enough flakes to vote for her.

December 19, 2011 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  5. Realist

I think we need to focus on news of the front runners, however mainstream these homophobic view are.

December 19, 2011 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  6. J.V.Hodgson

The kinseym report may be coorect dont know not red how th e statistics were gathered and the controls used
    Assume it was valid the questioners part two does not necessarily follow.
    Its possibly correct but not a valid assumption to put that way.
    As we all know you increase the numbers in the survey the more realistic the overall stats this is why we hear lies damn lies and statistics.
    I am not gay but I have no time for either Bachmans or her husbands positons on gays. Also her religious beliefs are such that she would let those influence her legisalative position which I feel is unconstitutional.
    QED not fit to be President.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.
    Regards,
    Hodgson

December 19, 2011 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  7. kuewa

I wonder which part of the Kinsey report they are claiming to be mythical (?) Kinsey himself? The data? The analyses? The conclusions? On the other hand, her husband leads me to suspect that the percentage is higher than 10% if one includes the closet cases.

December 19, 2011 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  8. works4me

She runs a "no questions" campaign because she has no answers. Still stuck on redundant ignorant partisans... no intellectual curiosity what so ever!

December 19, 2011 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  9. Jack V

The Republican field has just been overtaken by NUTS! What is this obsession with gay people? Why do they pander to the dumbest element of this country?

December 19, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  10. sparky

"No questions" policy LOL!!.....I guess if she keeps her yapper shut she can just LOOK stupid!

December 19, 2011 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  11. Stephen Bedard

I am confused by this story. Bachmann questions the popular 10% figure and then she is portrayed as being bad for not supporting gay rights or representing all Americans. But there was no discussion of what more recent and more scientific studies on numbers of homosexuals has shown. Bachmann is correct that the Kinsey report had all kinds of problems and the actual number is somewhat less. It is almost as if it doesn't matter if the 10% is scientifically correct, because it is still politically correct.

December 19, 2011 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  12. ellid

Bachmann is a religious fanatic, and her husband is worse. I'm amazed she was even civil to the woman in the restaurant.

December 19, 2011 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  13. chrisnot

If the media only gave Ms Bachmann the attention she deserved she would just go away. I do have to admit she is a constant source of humor, though.

December 19, 2011 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  14. Frank

Guess what? Bachmann is wrong and her candidacy is a myth. In fact, roughly 12% of all vertebrate populations (yes, things like chickens) see to prefer sex with their own gender.

December 19, 2011 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  15. JAB62

Unfortunately for her and her husband facts are facts and their "faith" can't change them nor can it change sexual preference. Go back to the stone age losers.

December 19, 2011 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  16. Bernard Webb

I'm afraid the 10% number initially reported for gay prevalence did turn out to be a bit high – the actual number is closer to 4%, perhaps even less. People who are members of a group of any kind uniformly overestimate their prevalence in society, partly as a result of spending so much time with fellow group members. This is the same phenomenon that causes far-right-wing Tea Party types to assume that all of America is far to the right since everyone they know is.

December 19, 2011 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  17. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, if she doesn't think that is true, where is the counter study to show otherwise? You just can't counter a study that was done without something to show that it was done in a flawed way or have new surveys and evidence to prove otherwise.

December 19, 2011 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  18. Diane

That's a very astute observation Mr. Hill. The biggest problem we have in this country right now is the whole "Reality TV" concept. The dumbing of Americans. Politicians like Bachmann think that people are there to rub elbows with her. She has an elevated sense of importance and appears pretty self-righteous to me. They think Americans aren't smart enough to ask real questions. Is her husband going to be beside her to help her field "tough" questions? No, which is why they won't allow questions for the most part.

December 19, 2011 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  19. joe223234

100% of the population are murderers.
    100% of the population are liars.
    100% of the population are thieves.
    100% of the population are adulterers.

Does that make it righteous before God? Absolutely not.

December 19, 2011 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  20. DAVEYANT

Bachman is so out of touch with American's!! She has no chance in hell of getting the nomination. She was raised sheltered and out of touch. She is conceded and thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. What a joke!! I think she needs to re-evaluate her numbers and her run as president. I would say more than 10% of America is Gay, Bi-Sexual or transgendered. In my family alone we have 4 gays (that I'm aware of) and 1 bi-sexual. This is not over a period of time either. This is just myself and cousins alone. There are more closeted gays as well that she's not accounting for. I'm sick and tired of these lines being drawn. If you are republican you must vote with the republicans and visa versa. This is the problem with America and it will only get worse as time goes by. Trust me when I say that America will continue it's downward spiral down the ranks of the super powers and the blame will be on both republicans and democrats for not voting for the people......only voting for themselves no matter what they think is right or wrong

December 19, 2011 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  21. mws12345

Anyone who spends hours and hours asking questions about people's sexuality and publishes the data for scrutiny among the scientific community is obviously wrong. I talked to a person the other day that told me so. She had no scientific background, but she goes to church every week, and so I believe her.

December 19, 2011 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  22. mb2010a

I can't believe that Bachman still thinks that she's in the race...her campaign ended months ago.

December 19, 2011 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  23. Rags

Clueless Bachmann out spending money that could go to good causes. And her husband is 'trying to help gay individuals become straight' ?? I do believe that the gay gene is something they're born with and cannot be changed. It's like trying to make people that tend to be bald, change and grow hair.
    I believe both Bachmann's need to do some research.

December 19, 2011 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  24. Lindalou

They're avoiding questions because they don't want her to put her foot in her mouth again. Candidates love having their agenda heard by the masses, but in this case, she can't be trusted to know what she's talking about. How many times has she spouted hearsay as fact only to be proven what an idiot she truly is. Her people were trying to keep her from putting out anymore stupid soundbites.

December 19, 2011 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  25. Lindsey

I think that Bachmann is right about there not being 10% gay in this country. I agree with her that being gay is a learned behavior and not a genetically passed on trait. After all if it was genetic then how could the trait be passed on? Only by not being gay!

December 19, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |