December 19th, 2011

Boehner predicts House will reject payroll tax extension

(CNN) - Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Monday morning he expects the House of Representatives to reject the Senate's two-month extension of the payroll tax cut. Boehner also said he expects the House to pass legislation reinforcing the need for a one-year extension, and wants the matter to be taken up by a House-Senate conference committee.

Filed under: Congress • House • John Boehner • Senate • Taxes
  1. Kevin

I wonder if the American people will realize that the Republicans want Congress to be dysfunctional, hoping that it will cause anti-incumbent sentiment and cause them to gain seats. This coming election hopefully the democrats will get majorities to do something with this time and opportunity.

December 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. Lenny

again we pay the price ( Literally ) for partisan politics ....Merry Christmas America ....Your next paycheck is gonna suck because we want a damn pipe line

December 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. Erik

John boehner needs to step down, his way of thinking is the very reason why the republicans are struggling. The republican leadership..needs new leadership...Immediately.

December 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Al

They get the OT with their so called special committee and we get screwed.

December 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. McGruff

In the ultimate display of peaceful protest ... the Tea Party & OWS should agree to join forces ... and vote out every single incumbent politician in our federal government ... republican or democrat !

Our 2-party political system has become so hopelessly corrupt that they can no longer function ... and we the voters need to push the RESET button.

December 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Matt

I guess Boehner answered the question of if he's a republiCAN or republiCAN'T.

December 19, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. embarassed ohioan

Mr. Boehner, You are an embarassment to the state of OHIO nad a poor representation of the duties of an elected official. Being in the position that you are I would think at this point you'd see how stupid your making yourself look, as if your actions had not already confirmed it!

December 19, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. DH

I cannot begin to tell you how irritated I and others I know are getting this with this GOP BS.........compromise and good intentions are gone from this party.

December 19, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Doug

People, It's really simple. The Republicans have shown their true colors time and again. They simply want our President to fail at every turn. They've said it when they regained the house and have done everything to oppose him. They want him to be a 1 term president. That's their only goal. The country and the people be damned. You tell me, when have they ever truely legislated on behave of the American people?? They are all self-interested, self absorbed narcissitic bullys. Term limits are the only true answer to the ills of our governing process.

December 19, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Bill

Boehner has lost complete control over the Republican Party and allowed the right wing radicals to take control. Most people in either party do not want radicals from the left or right dictating to the rest of us. There is going to be a backlash when its time to vote to send a clear message to congress. There may be some people camping in the parks but the hard working folks are going to speak by going to the polls.

December 19, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. maggie

Gary, I think you’re right, at least about Boehner. Without the stranglehold of the Tea Party members, I think this Congress might have gotten a lot more done than they have. Perhaps they are hoping to show their Tea Party base just how anti-Obama they can be; perhaps they are also thinking that the rest of the electorate has a feeble mind or short memory come 2012.

December 19, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Clint, Wa.

House Speaker John Boehner, one term and goodbye.

December 19, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. TamarS

Boehner is much like Romney – bends with the wind and has no courage or substance of his own. He is yielding to pressure from tea party fools. what a coward.

December 19, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. MacDav

Reject this Senate and obama plan to cripple Social Seciurity.Cut spending you fools,send illegals home and put American workers to work.Remember when obama wanted to stop Social Security payments now he tring to stop funding it.bye obama in 2012

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. SoSad

Wake up people...............GOP........The Party Of NO............

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. sir_ken_g

I would say the GOP had a death wish – but it's already dead.

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  17. Rick McDaniel

The House should reject it. Obama is playing games again.

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. PW

Please middle class and poor go out and vote these creeps out of office in 2012. That's all I can say!

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I cannot remember when a political leader and a political party has been so out of touch with America. All elected republicans need to be added to the Limbaugh creed, "I know it, you know it, Rush ruins America."

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. Seola

It amazes me every time the GOP makes a move, how much of the rhetoric and lies comes out from those against their plans. They soon forget Pelosi's attitude with a Repub Congress, or Obama's "we won get over it" when the GOP wanted to work together. They don't care to read Congress transcripts or memos, where the GOP has repeatedly attempted to meet with Dem leaders and have in some cases, while the Dems repeatedly refuse and have yet to schedule a bipartisan meeting – while Pelosi tweets whines and raves about everything and anything.

I loved the Party of No rhetoric, sort of my favorite, since they kept saying "Party of No" held up any bills when they didn't need a single YES from any Repubs. Or the line she and Obama touted out when... *shock* 96 Dems had voted against their plans.

Keep it classy fellow Americans. When you wake up and realize MOST of Congress on both sides in it's current state is useless and would rather blame to posture than get anything done, then you will start to sound somewhat intelligent.

December 19, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  21. Wire Palladin, S. F.

See what happens when a barfly gets placed in a position of leadership?

December 19, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. it is sad

"But but but... I didn't get enough credit... I didn't get more money for big business... I didn't get more pork for my district.. we need to get this done so I can go back and brag... I am the speaker... you have to do what I say."

December 19, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. Saboth

"King Norquist....thine humble servants await thou's opinion on tax breaks for thee middle class? Say ye nay or yay?" Jester Bone-err inquires.
    "Verily, I doth say nay. Let my proclamation ring through the Kingdom of Republicans." King Norquist responds.

December 19, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  24. R.L.

The congress no longer cares for the American people, they just focus on saying no to whatever the President wants no matter what it is. They have been against him since Day 1. I hope they do get voted out of office, all of them Democrat and Republicans. They are all a bunch of liars and thieves who only care about themselves and the rich (well the Republicans care about the rich).

December 19, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Jt_flyer

The ELECTED representivatives underestimate the intelligence and wrath of the American people.

December 19, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |