Reid: No more negotiations on payroll tax cut
December 19th, 2011

Reid: No more negotiations on payroll tax cut

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said Monday he will not agree to reopen negotiations with House leaders on the payroll tax cut until the House passes the two-month extension already approved by the Senate.

"I have always sought a year-long extension. I have been trying to forge one for weeks, and I am happy to continue negotiating one once we have made sure middle-class families will not wake up to a tax increase on January 1st," Reid said in a statement. "So before we re-open negotiations on a year-long extension, the House of Representatives must protect middle-class families by passing the overwhelmingly bipartisan compromise that Republicans negotiated, and was approved by ninety percent of the Senate."

Filed under: Congress • Harry Reid • House • Taxes
  1. Rick C

johnny popper, what does your gibberish have to do with this article?

December 19, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Legalize Industrial Hemp

After Harry gave away everything - now he says enough? Pathetic. He should have stood firm at taxing the gazillionaires.

December 19, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. kansasvoter

Reid has been pushing a year long extension for weeks and yet the GOP won't comprimise on how to pay for it. Reid then strikes a deal with Senate Republicans for a 2 month extension and it passes. Now the Tea Party controlled house rejects it because they want it their way or no way at all. The Dems have bent over backwards time and time again to accomodate the GOP. How can anybody that's paying attention blame the Dems for this? Boehner and his Tea Party house are acting like a bunch of spoiled children. Seriously, this is how my 3 year old acts. The whole basis for Democracy is comprimise, something the Tea Party seems incapable of. Vote these right wing extemists out! We need comprimise, not ideology.

December 19, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  4. Jane

For some people, this increase is not much. But for most of us this is huge. We are struggling to make ends meet. Every day prices keep going up and income going down. Every time I go to the grocery store, I am amazed. Insurance costs are crazy. No one ever talks about the ones that have insurance through their jobs but their jobs to not pay any portion of family coverage. Family Coverage for one child at my job would be $776.00 a month. I have to purchase outside insurance that costs for one child $275.00 a month. He can say no more talks about the tax break but I can also say I will exercise my right to vote and kick them out. (I am one that normally is more conservative)

December 19, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Wheelz

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

December 19, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. WDinDallas

Typical Reid. Thinks he is God. This will backfire!

December 19, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. ATPMSD

Reid is acting childish. They need to stop kicking this down the road and resolve it now.

December 19, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. marty rogers

The GOP wants to use this issue to get more breaks for oil companies. They are a disgrace to the middle class and to this country.

December 19, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. dew

people are idiots who trust harry reid,spend spend spend, is all the dems do.

December 19, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. jnpa

It's about time the dems said "NO"

December 19, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Terry

Thank you Republican House Members. I have been a loyal Republican for 48 years, and you can kiss my support good bye. If we had run our businesses like you folks run Washington, our Boards of Directors would have fired all of us. Good grief, did every one of you graduate last in your respective class?

December 19, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. BLACKSAMBO

Accept the keystone XL pipeline you hypocrite or shut your mouth about jobs

December 19, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. byrdlegs1947

ADIOS AMIGOS: As Popeye once said, "This is all I can stands and I can't stands no more." My wife and I purchased in Costa Rica along with about 80,000 other American families. There is not enough space for me to tell how fantastic, beautiful and friendly it is here. It turns my stomach to see millions of young American's giving their lives throughout the world to protect America and the American way, but have to return to a country of Congressional NITWITS that cant seem to find their own ways. There is a lot of blame to be passed around, but the Republican repukes in particular are a disgrace to America and an insult to any military member who served their country, especially those that gave their lives.
    How sad for America.

December 19, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. ep_vet

How can you negotiate with a bunch of idiots who OBJECT when you accept THEIR proposal? Boehner signed on and now says that he taking "HIS WORD" back? A DEAL IS A DEAL! They people have no honor, and zero leadership.

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  15. Angus001

OK everyone... get your party aligned tripe ready to spew. Whay can't you people think for yourselves. Do you really need Fox and MSNBS to tell you what to think. Gesh!

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. HolyChrist

To the people commenting in support of the Republicans... what are you looking at? Seriously. It really baffles my mind that you think that Congress is doing the right thing, that the Republican officials are really acting in your best interest. Instead, all I see is anti-Obama comments without substance. What are some actual examples of what Obama is doing that's so wrong and is hurting America and what are Republicans doing to help? I just don't see it. Instead, it seems that all I see is "I hate Obama... just because".

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. Yes1fan

The GOP claims to be for smaller government. Yet when this opportunity arrives to deprive the Fed of funds (via tax reductions), effectively shrinking it, they block it. So, they have DEFINITIVELY EXPOSED their message as one of CLASS WARFARE, NOT smaller government! Since this cut does NOT benefit the 1%, they are against it!

December 19, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. Martha in CF

To Anonymous--Please get your facts straight-----The redumblicans have been the party of NO NO NO.....
    Stay your stance Mr Reid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Redumblicans have become obstructionist........they need to voted out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 19, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. bob_lawbla

15 Trillion in debt, Social Security, Medicare and Welfare are broke because too many people have made them a "lifestyle" and refuse to take any responsiblity for themselves. Thank you Democrats for creating a permanent underclass. The Republicans have caved in on too many compromises and let the left redefine the American standard.

So who is going to pull the wagon when everyone is in it?

December 19, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  20. ethandy

Overwhelming support here for Harry's decision. Very encouraging.

December 19, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. HolyChrist

Both parties agreed to do this, it benefits a very large part of America, Boehner then backs out on the deal, and people are against Reid for standing up for Americans? What in God's name is wrong with people? What am I missing? Seriously.

December 19, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. ChumBucket

so I'm reading thru all the democrat rhetoric in these forums, it seems to be the same thing over and over... "the republicans don't want to extend the tax break"

and yet, the republican house already passed a bill extending the tax break, but the senate is saying no to it becase it would cost them some votes of enviro-whackos.

now, who is REALLY just playing politics on the backs of the middle class?

be honest with yourselves when answering that.

December 19, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. jordan

Thanks a lot for not passing an unemployment extension.Great Holiday News for us who lost our good jobs we had in Retail.it was the hardest hit of the hardest this past year and I had a great job in one place for 18 years.I lost that job in July and now it is down to the 20's in temperature here in Maine.
    A big FRAK YOU to all the people working in the GOP and the Democratic Party.You have both doen a great job at destroying this country,losing a lot of my IRA Money, and screwing up our Economy.You are also trying hard to rush thru China-like Censorship of the Internet in the forms of the SOPA & PIPA BIlls.To bad the News Outlets and even this CNN will not even mention these Bills.
    Both Parties are sneaking around behind your backs right now.

December 19, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. RobK

Yeah. Go Harry! Now if we can just get Boehner to say no to negotiations, we can let the Social Security rate go back to where it has been for 20+ years. Don't let the Democrats turn Social Security into Welfare. Keep Obama's hands off my retirement.

December 19, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. Alex Jameson

Republicans say no to a piece of legislation and everyone calls them obstructionists. Democrats do it and they're heroically "taking a stand"?

December 19, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |