Bachmann: I'm not a politician, don't even know how to be one
December 20th, 2011

Bachmann: I'm not a politician, don't even know how to be one

Waterloo, Iowa (CNN) - Republican hopeful Michele Bachmann seems to have found a new favorite tag line in the midst of her bus tour: “I'm one of you.”

It's a phrase she's been using more and more, and Monday she seemed to be saying it everywhere she went.

"I am not a politician. I am a real person. I don't even know how to be a politician," Bachmann said in a news conference outside a high school in Grundy Center, Iowa.

"That is why I am in trouble all the time in Washington DC because I am constantly fighting the establishment in Washington, D.C.," she added.

At her next stop–a bar and grill in Allison, Iowa–the candidate was asked if she would sign the recently opened establishment's wall with a white marker.

Her message:

"'One of us. She's not a politician.' Michele Bachmann, December 19, 2011. Let's put an Iowan in the White House!"

Bachmann's in the whirlwind process of touring all 99 counties in the state of a Iowa–a state crucial to her bid for the presidency.

It's also a state that she–at least in her public events of late–appears confident she'll win.

"After this last one (debate) it's like a light switch got turned on," she told a voter in Iowa Falls. "You just can't believe it. We've been zooming up in the polls right now. I mean we think we're gonna take this on the 3rd."

January 3 is caucus day.

"About 60% are undecided. We are perfectly positioned to win," she added.

Among the undecided caucus-goers present at her meet and greet in Iowa Falls, where she shook hands but didn't take questions, was Janice Hanus.

Hanus says she'd love to vote for a female candidate and says Bachmann's debate performances have pleasantly surprised her.

At this point, though, she's leaning toward Mitt Romney because of his business background. But she admits it's a tough decision.

"I like how (Bachmann) is for the family and had 23 foster children," Hanus said. "Maybe Romney (should-sic) ask her to run as VP."

Bachmann is continuing her tour Tuesday as she approaches the eastern border of the state.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann
  1. Stephen in VA

Reminds me of "I'm not a witch. I'm one of you." – Christine O'Donnell

December 20, 2011 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  2. Bernard Webb

It is very difficult to picture Bachmann getting the republican nomination, politician or not.

December 20, 2011 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  3. TomInRochNY

You don't know how to be a leader either.

December 20, 2011 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  4. Anonymous

I am not a politician. I am a real person." LOL!

We've known for years that you aren't a politician, Michele. Your humanity, however, is still in doubt as well.

December 20, 2011 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  5. da

Hummm...this interesting. I guess she should give up her seat in Congress?

December 20, 2011 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  6. Tom

Guess that's her excuse for being nothing more than a mouthpiece ever since she was sent to public office. Not a single thing was done by her other than a handful of votes.

December 20, 2011 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  7. Jim

Spoken like a true politician, what a hypocrite!!!!

December 20, 2011 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

There is a broader question: what is she? No legislative accomplishments of any sort, even though taxpayers will have shelled out over a million dolalrs in salary when she finishes her current term. Has she been a good return on investment? Nope. Then what is she?

December 20, 2011 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  9. Ed

“I'm one of you.”

No you are not.

December 20, 2011 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  10. Sandy

So she ran for office, got elected, but is not a politician? So I guess she doesn't mind if the people don't put her back in congress.

December 20, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  11. informed voter

I don't want an ordinary American as my President. I want someone who is highly educated, politically savvy, a true diplomat and humanitarian. I agree that Mrs. Bachmann is none of those thing, she is quite pedestrian and in no way qualified to hold the highest office in our nation. Obama 2012, seriously.

December 20, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  12. Lost inTexas FOREVER and EVER

from what I hear from my family in Minnesota she doesn't know how to be a congresswoman either.

December 20, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. J

I'm not getting thousands in farm subsidies so she's definitely not one of me.

December 20, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  14. Republicans Are The American Taliban

How many people in Minnesota are now lining up to vote for her? She now admits to being a political failure.

December 20, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  15. Phil in KC

For someone who doesn't even know how to be a politician, she's doing a pretty good imitation.

December 20, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  16. Tony

This will come as a big surprise to the people in her district who voted for her and sent her to Congress. Oral Roberts School of Law, had it remained in existence, would have demanded that Bachmann returns her diploma.

December 20, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  17. Bachmann2012

Please, please Republicans...Nominate Bachmann.
    The entertainment value of her running against Obama would be outstanding.

December 20, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  18. rs

And just how many terms as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives has Bachmann had? This "lady" is a professional politician, and the proof is that she couldn't tell the truth if her life depended on it.

December 20, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  19. AEK

Well, if she's not a politician I guess she pretty much has no skills at all...just sayin'!

December 20, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Bill

She is also one of the worst Congresswomen in history. She has not had one piece of legislation passed that she has introduced. I hope the electorate in the MN 6th take that into consideration before sending this loser back to Congress for another term.

December 20, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |