Gingrich to get key endorsements from Iowa, New Hampshire
December 20th, 2011

Gingrich to get key endorsements from Iowa, New Hampshire

(CNN) – The speakers in both state houses of Iowa and New Hampshire are expected to hand former House Speaker Newt Gingrich their endorsements in the critical early presidential nominating states.

Gingrich is scheduled to travel cross-country Wednesday in order to attend both announcements.

Iowa Speaker of the House Kraig Paulsen will endorse Gingrich in Des Moines at the Iowa State Capitol early in the day. Iowa holds the first-in-the-nation caucus on Jan. 3.

New Hampshire’s Speaker of the House Bill O'Brien will back Gingrich in a joint announcement with the former House speaker in Manchester Wednesday afternoon. New Hampshire will host the nation's first primary to select a candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination on Jan. 10.

CNN's Rachel Streitfeld and Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

Also see:

Bachmann: I'm not a politician, don't even know how to be one
Romney, on Letterman show, jokes about hair, Newt Gingrich

Perry: Romney and Gingrich backed the 'biggest act of theft in American history'

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • New Hampshire • Newt Gingrich
  1. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

This isn't good news for Willard. I think Ron Paul is going to shock everyone and win Iowa. Newt hasn't been in Iowa much. Maybe if he had his original campaign staff he'd have a fighting chance.

December 20, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Thomas

Please make Newt the GOP candidate !

December 20, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

More endorsements??? When any of these candidates get an endorsement from the "kitchen sink," that will be the end of it. Half of these people are only looking for "long-time" favors, that's all!!

Obama 2012 – He's got my endorsement and NO ONE knows me and it means MORE to me!!!

December 20, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Larry

Gingrich's campaign is 1.6 million in debt – he's got enough baggage to sink 3 aircraft carriers & the carnival cruise lines. ( no offense to any aircraft carrier, or any cruise line ) anyway – Gingrich will never make it.

December 20, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. John Marshall

Lets not rule Newt out just yet and as for Ron Paul if you aren't concerned about his lack of foreign policy savy with North Korea and Iran and possibly his reluctance to take a firm stand, then brother you might want to reconsider.

December 20, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. NVa Native

All the GOP nominees are creepy. One just the same as the other – get on with it.

December 20, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  7. harvey 60

now Bill O'Brien's kid can register to vote in every state instead of just Maine and New Hampshire so he can vote for Gingrich everywhere!

December 20, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Patricia Leath

Pray tell, what is it going to take for the American people to realize how serious this election is for the future of the United States? Is it going to take a total melt down of our economy? Are we going to have to wait for a nuclear bomb or germ warfare to kill millions of us? There are a lot of people in this world that want to destroy this country. Get it?
    We must reject these dismissable blurbs by writers and commentators that provide us with irrelevant information about candidates. Stop wasting our time on trivia. Give us facts. I do not care how much negative advertising is going into a campaign. I do not care about whether someone took a weekend off. I want to know the positions on grave issues that confront our people, nothing more! If the Speaker of the House of Iowa and New Hampshire endorse Gingrich, tell us why. Produce facts, don't let a "milk toast" dilitant like Romney become President. God help us if he does!

December 20, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. carlos

Yeahh poor Israel if Iran gets a nuke right?. Iran would be distroyed in seconds if they decide to attack Israel who has more than 300 nukes. Iranians are not as jerks as Rommey, Satorum, Backman or Gingrich to attack Israel knowing they could be distroyed. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT ISRAEL, they can defend themselve very well so stop taking mony from our people to send it to Israel. Another thing Paul is right is when he blame the US for the 9/11 attacks. Of course it was bad for us BUT do you people know how many thousands and thousands of muslims and not muslims the US has killed in all these years???? COMO ON!!. I love my country but I think we shouldn't be there fighting for nothing an losing many Americans lifes.
    If Rommey, Gingrich, Backman and the stupid Santorum want to be in Afganistan more time why dont they send their sons, daughters, wifes, husbands, brothers, sisters, fathers and relatives there and have them for years fighting and dying for America??? Is is easy for these jerks to send our kids but they dont want to send their's

December 20, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. RIcky Bobby

Kraig Paulsen...can I get some of that stuff you're smoking?

December 20, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. John the Historian

I hope Newt will startseeing his lesbian sister Candace. I don't understand why he didn't go to her wedding in New York. I thought Republicans believed in Family Values.

December 20, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Joe Shmoe

Does "foreing policy savvy" means the desire to flush trillions down the drain being the world's policeman? If so, been there done that.

December 20, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

I hear crickets. What happened to all of the Gingrichites that used to brag about his skills? They where here in droves two weeks ago. Where'd they go?

December 20, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Lenny Ladner

Remember he supported both NAFTA & GATT.
    He also jerked around the freshmen Republicans elected in 1994 in a landslide.

If I were Newt I would go back to my CFR handlers and retire from politics.

Nuter Newt. Just another internationalist!

December 20, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. GI Joe

Newt Gingrich – the Kim Jung Yuk of the republican party.

December 20, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |