Santorum gets backing from Vander Plaats
December 20th, 2011

Santorum gets backing from Vander Plaats

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania received the personal endorsement of Bob Vander Plaats, who heads the Family Leader, Tuesday. The Iowa-based Christian organization is influential among social conservative voters in the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

The endorsement comes just two weeks before the Jan. 3 caucuses, which kick off the primary and caucus calendar.

Four years ago, the Family Leader backed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who went on to score an upset victory in the Iowa caucuses.

Filed under: 2012 • Bob Vander Plaats • Iowa • Rick Santorum
  1. The Real Tom Paine

Geez, there's some news that will change my life.

December 20, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Al-NY,NY

Tom.Paine...I will now be able to sleep at nite, knowing Santorum and his go nowhere campaign now has the endorsement of a group that is obviously interested in only pushing their agenda and morals onto everyone else. That is what Santorum wants so these two are peas in a pod

December 20, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Vander who? Who comes up with names like Vander? With a name like that, I'd pass on his endorsement.

December 20, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. once upon a horse

this guy has about as much of a chance to be POTUS as I do and I have no interest in even trying. One of the few times I ever agreed with Sarah Palin is when she called Santorum a "knuckle-dragging Neanderthal". He couldn't even win re-election in is own home state!

December 20, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. Patrick

As much as this would upset me if I thought the despised Santorum had a chance, I'm actually glad that Rick Perry missed out on a chance to gain momentum. So, in the end, I think Vander Plaats did the gay cause a huge favor by endorsing such a non-candidate.

December 20, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  6. SecedingfromTexas

Everybody needs a warm, fuzzy hug sometimes. This is Santorum's.

December 20, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. GonzoinHouston

Yawn! This will make approximately 0% difference in the eventual outcome.

December 20, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

"Vander who? Who comes up with names like Vander?"
    -----–
    His last name is Vander Plaats (it's Dutch)... try to keep up....

December 20, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  9. Sniffit

So now that Kim Jong Il is gone, does this mean The Economist will start taking photos of Santorum like the one above and adding the line "Greetings Earthlings!" to it? He makes a worthy successor for the part.

December 20, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Tony

Who?

(by which I wonder who both of these guys are!)

December 20, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. GOP ~ "tax the middle class, blame the poor"

Why would anybody want to keep up with Vandr Pants? Or any of the other "shame & blame" religulous hucksters out there?

December 20, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. Nevis Mn

That's the end for Santorium.

December 20, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"Who?

(by which I wonder who both of these guys are!)"

Oh? It's easy....just Google "Santorum"...you'll learn all about him.

December 20, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |