Gingrich to gay man: Vote for Obama
December 21st, 2011

Gingrich to gay man: Vote for Obama

(CNN) - Asked how he plans to engage the gay community in his bid for president, Newt Gingrich on Tuesday told a voter he wouldn't be the right choice for those basing their decision on the issue of same-sex marriage.

"If that's the most important (issue) to you, then you should be for Obama," Gingrich told Scott Arnold, a man who identified himself as gay.

"Okay. I am, but thank you," Arnold replied.

The comment ended a rather cordial exchange between the two at a campaign stop in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

Arnold, an adjunct professor at William Penn University, approached the former speaker, asking Gingrich how he would sway voters who disagreed with him on same-sex marriage.

"How do you plan to engage and get the hope of gay Americans and those who support them?" Arnold asked.

Gingrich replied saying he doesn't expect to get the backing from voters solely focused on changing the definition of marriage.

"And I accept that that's a reality," Gingrich said.

Gingrich has frequently taken a conservative line on the issue. Last week, he signed a pledge with the National Organization for Marriage, promising, among many things, to back a constitutional amendment defining marriage between a man and woman.

"On the other hand, for those for whom it's not the central issue in their life –if they care about job creation, if they care about national security, if they care about a better future for the country at large-then I think I'll get their support," Gingrich said.

Also see:

Iowa faith leader asked Bachmann to consider dropping out, campaign says

Poll: Paul in top spot in Iowa GOP battle

Romney defends negative ads

Gingrich: Super PAC hypocrisy

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Newt Gingrich • Same-sex marriage
  1. Bruce

In other words he's saying...we don't want you people in our grand ole tea party.

December 21, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  2. bowout

its time Newt11 BOW OUT WITH WHAT LITTLE DIGNITY LEFT WITH IN YOU

December 21, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. A Repulbican

What an idiot! It truely frightens me that a man with his character flaws and inability to think before he speaks is this close to being nominated by my party.

December 21, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. susan

said the man who was after Clinton for Lewinsky affair but was having his own affair at the time.
    I pray that the right wing-nuts vote for Gingrich. It will be easy for Obama. Well, Romney would also be easy as many right wing-nuts would never vote for a Mormon.
    At least Obama is a Christian.

December 21, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Keeping It Real

Dominican mama 4 Obama

My question is: How many times can Newt shoot himself in the foot(feet?) before he keels over? How many bullets does he have in that gun of his?
    I guess I had two questions.

I guess you'd rather have Obama lies than the truth from Newt.

December 21, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Gurgi

I am not necessarily pro newt, but I think he handled that rather well. At least he was realistic and knew he would not get such peoples support. I also think that the numbers of gays in america is over estimated.

December 21, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. Tad Pole

I don't see why some people seem to think that they should have the same rights as everyone else. Where do they think they are anyways!?

December 21, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Me

This is a HUGE slap in the face to all Gay Republicans and let me tell ya, THEY EXIST!
    But, That's okay. I have no problem supporting Obama and the Democrats, because they support and fight for equal rights...

December 21, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. Tony

Unfortunately for Newt, many straight people will follow his advice and vote for Obama.

December 21, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. DumbasRocks [R]s

Gingrich to America:

Gay? - Vote Obama
    Care about the environment? - Vote Obama
    Fix the economy? - Vote Obama
    Sane foreign policy - Vote Obama
    Long term energy policy? - Vote Obama
    Poor and middle class? - Vote Obama
    Black? - Vote Obama
    White? - Vote Obama
    American? - Vote Obama

Why geez Newt, thanks greatly for the endorsements!!!

December 21, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. OnlyRonPaul

Ron Paul is the answer to all the problems of this planet, much less the USA. His FREEDOM message is what really hits home, or should. If you don't want freedom then I think you need a doctor.

December 21, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Joe

That is why our country is in the condition it is in. We keep changing the morals to fit. Who needs marriage at all? We should just make it legal to mate with anyone, or anything you want. Dogs, cats who cares? there is a reason men and women get married. It is called procreation. 2 men will never be able to do it. Medical science can't get you there. The monstrosities of the trans gender community now that is a different story altogether.

December 21, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. DumbasRocks [R]s

Hey Gurgi: I agree ,Newt handled that perfectly.....for Obama. The only thing over estimated in America is the number of smart people that vote [R]. Thanks for supporting that notion.

December 21, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Terry Gloege

The Newster is doing a heck of a jobb.

December 21, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. jo an

The Grinch looks/acts like a latent GAY...

December 21, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. JVoor

What I don't understand is how the US Government can define marriage. Marriage is between you, your spouse and your god. Government needs to get out of the marriage business althogether. Separation between churhc and state! Jesus! Ron Paul

December 21, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. billy davis

How can this clown Gingrich sign something in good faith that marriage is between a man and a woman. When clearly his personal definition of marriage is himself and many women.

December 21, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Tomcat

I'm no Gingrich supporter by any stretch of the imagination...but kudos for talking straight and not offering a line of political tripe everyone KNOWS would be pandering. "Don't like my positions? Support another candidate."
    I will. But thanks for talking true.

December 21, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. how would you like to marry someone that's attracted to a different gender...not yours?

how would you like to marry someone that's attracted to a different gender...not yours? they get married because they think society would have a cat so they suck it up and marry you to please society. their outward appearances are always that they love and cherish you. but if you ever try to have a romantic evening with them...they are so grossed out they can't go through it. yeah, ed is a problem, but what if they just aren't into whatever your gender is and they are so brainwashed by society that they conform, but your life sucks.

December 21, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. 21k

yeah, newt's the guy we should be looking to for a definition of marriage.

December 21, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Kanoodle

Newt will never ever be President so who cares what he says.
    He is a joke, corrupt, and incredibly ignorant.
    Sorry Newt, you are making a complete fool out of yourself running for president.
    Men like you do not become president and never will. :o)
    Have fun trying though.

December 21, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. LittleBearCB

I appreciate Newt's candor. Newt's view of the Gay community is perhaps influenced through his negative relationship with his gay sister. I hope one day he will realize Gay people are as 'normal' as he is. (normality is relative)

December 21, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. paul

Looks like Newt just lost his sisters vote. Family x-mas gathering should be interesting.

December 21, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. glyder

newt handled that well.it actually sounds like the truth.so what if people can't handle it.and the left has no room to speak .at least that's what you people did when eric holder cut the black panthers loose on voter intimidation charges,saying they were his people.no questions asked as white lefties mouths slammed shut.those party oriented get what they deserve,stabbed in the back.maybe you will think twice if a black panther sticks you while trying to vote.

December 21, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. kenny

Newt is so dumb, I wonder sometimes how his body manages to put one foot in front of the other. OOOoops....my bad. Didn't realize it but this guy has shot himself in the foot so much, there's nothing left to walk on but knubs. If "The Eye of Newt" was the only candidate running for POTUS, I would still vote for the other guy.

December 21, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |