Ron Paul defensive over past newsletters
December 21st, 2011

Ron Paul defensive over past newsletters

Mt. Pleasant, Iowa (CNN) - Presidential candidate Ron Paul was defensive Wednesday when pressed about controversial newsletters in the 1980s and 1990s that were in his name.

When asked during an interview with CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger whether he looked at them when they were published and decided they did not represent him accurately, he said "not all the time." Pressed on whether he read them he said, "Not all the time. Well, on occasion, yes."

Paul, who had left Congress at the time and was practicing medicine, has repeatedly disavowed the controversial remarks in the newsletters.

"I've never read that stuff. I've never read - I came - I was probably aware of it 10 years after it was written and it's been going on 20 years that people have pestered me about this and CNN does it every single time," he said.

Among the racially charged comments contained in the publications was this one from 1992: "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks." They also contained some conspiracy theories.

When Borger asked him if this was a legitimate topic, he became testy saying "Yeah and when you get the answer, it's legitimate that you sort of take the answers I gave. You know what the answer is? I didn't write them, didn't read them at the time, and I disavow them. This is the answer."

Existence of the controversial newsletters, which listed Paul as publisher and carried such names as "Ron Paul's Freedom Project," the "Ron Paul Political Report," the "Ron Paul Survival Report" and the "Ron Paul Investment Letter," got renewed attention in 2008 by a story in the New Republic and was followed up on by the Weekly Standard.

Paul can expect more scrutiny with the news he is at the top of some polls in Iowa, less than two weeks before the Jan. 3 caucuses.

During a swing Wednesday, he drew large crowds and enthusiastic responses to his anti-establishment message and calls for fiscal restraint.

Paul's campaign has hit Newt Gingrich hard in campaign commercials accusing him of "serial hypocrisy" for changing positions and using his influence to help build his consulting business.

When CNN asked him whether he would be willing to take down these ads because many Iowans have voiced displeasure with the negative nature of this year's campaign he said he would not.

"I don't consider them attacking him unfairly. I mean, it just points out the position he's been on. That's my job, to show what my opponents do. They flip-flop around and they change positions, and if the media won't do it, I should do it," he said in the interview.

– Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul
  1. Christie M

We love Ron Paul. This should be a lessen to make sure he knows what is going on. He is no racist. I truly hope he gets a real shot at the presidency!

December 22, 2011 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  2. Henry M.

How was testy? Dr. Paul gave a legitimate answer, Ms. Borger refused it and pressed on. How many variations is Ms. Borger looking for? Then again, we should remember Ms. Borger in an unapologetic (communist) propagandist.

It's only a matter of time before we bring in the big guns – aka WALTER E. WILLIAMS.

For REAL CHANGE – - – Dr. Ron Paul 2012!!!

December 22, 2011 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  3. Brad Edgar

If this is the best they can do they better dig a little deeper. PR2012!

December 22, 2011 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  4. ComeOnMan9

It used to be a lot of fun thinking I had found my new political messiah in Ron Paul. Then I sat down and actually listened to him. This guy is a loon. I am not even offended my by his comments about the welfare checks. He could be right, but the man is mad as hatter.

December 22, 2011 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  5. George Hung

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you ... and then you win.

December 22, 2011 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  6. Justin

Another attempt to smear Dr. Paul because the corrupt media establishment profits from everything he stands against.

I'm glad he called them out on there bias, and I hope he doesn't do another interview for CNN.

December 22, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  7. Zack

So if he didn't write the letters, why does this news story about it exist? The headline is ambiguous and you have to get to the 4th paragraph before his quote saying he DIDN'T write them...

December 22, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  8. Mike D

He wasn't defensive or testy about the issue; he had had enough of the continued badgering after repeatedly answering the question.

His response was quite calm.

December 22, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  9. Don Lesch

He was right to walk out that is rediculous.

December 22, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  10. Bob

Get over it CNN, didn't he answer these stupid questions last go round. If you're going to spend so much time covering something done in his name 20-30 years ago, why not spend equal time on Gringrich's divorces, adultery, and Mitt's layoffs. Or, you could write a positive Ron Paul article sometime.

December 22, 2011 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  11. iopdnation

wow, great news reporting. let's go ask barack obama about his birth certificate again...is that honestly the best line of questioning CNN can come up with? you've got a veteran of Congress and legitimate presidential candidate in your presence and you decide to berate him about something that happened between 20 and 30 years ago that he's already answered! ask him something legitimate! "congressman paul, do you agree with speaker john boehner's position on payroll tax cuts?"...but why would they do that?

December 22, 2011 01:13 am at 1:13 am |