Christie's open to V.P. nod
December 22nd, 2011

Christie's open to V.P. nod

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie left the door open Thursday to serving as the vice presidential candidate on the Republican ticket in 2012.

Christie, who endorsed Mitt Romney after deciding against a White House bid of his own, did not rule out the No. 2 spot, but predicted he will still be governor in 2012.

"The fact is, if Gov. Romney comes to me and wants to talk to me about that, we'll have a full conversation about that and then Mary Pat and I will make that decision about what we want to do with our future," Christie said on Fox News Thursday. "But my view is, I think if you fast-forward the tape to a year from now it's going to be President-elect Romney and some other VP-elect and Chris Christie, the governor of New Jersey."

The first-term governor said it may be too early in the nominating process to discuss potential running mates, adding that there will be "plenty of time for that once he sews up the nomination."

Questions about his next political step have followed Christie since he decided "now is not my time" to run for the White House.

During a press conference in October, the often-blunt Christie reiterated the line that his temperament might prove difficult for the role of vice president.

"There are certain personalities that are appropriate for being vice president. I don't know that mine fits in that particular mold," Christie said.

During the same interview on Fox, his wife Mary Pat said she had personal concerns about her husband running for national office.

"I am really supportive of what Chris wants to do, but from a personal perspective I wasn't crazy about making that sacrifice at this time in our lives," she said, referring to Christie's October decision. "Our youngest child's eight, so … but at the end of the day if it is was the right thing to do I would have been happy to be on board."

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Chris Christie • Mitt Romney
  1. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Fatboy needs to focus on his job as governor and stop using the state chopper for his personal escapades.

December 22, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

I don't think much of Christie, but he finally struck a word of truth when he stated that his personality might not be suited to the VP position. Well, duh! He sucks the oxygen out of any room he enters ... he clearly doesn't understand that appearing as a bully and loud mouth is not respected by most of us. It would quickly turn into the Christie/Romney administration (if they got voted in) ... pay attention Mr. Romney, this might be an invitation you regret and Christie is a party guest who won't leave the party quietly.

December 22, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. Sniffit

""The fact is, if Gov. Romney comes to me and wants to talk to me about that, we'll have a full conversation about that "

And his first question will be "does that mean I get to order whatever I want from the WH kitchen?"

December 22, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. Cleareye

The contrast of a healthy Romney and the blimp would be ludicrous.

December 22, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Valerie from Raleigh

I am surprised that Mr. Christie has stated that he is open for a VP bid. Christie is a smart politican and you would think that he would be smart enought to stay away from this mostly unfortunate group of candidates and wait 'till 2016 when, with more experience as governor of NJ, he would be a very attractive GOP candidate. It is so sad that the once-proud Republican party does not see that they have a winner in this group on candidates – Jon Huntsman – and they have never given him a chance!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....

December 22, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

Do not be fooled into believing that Christie is a "good guy" because knows how to compromise and reach across the aisle to Democrats? Everytime I hear Christie make that claim, I find his arrogance to make such a statement appalllng because he is thumbing his nose in the face of the Democratic legislature.

This is what Christie did to push his agenda through the Democratic legislature. He sat down. He negotiated. He threw in some bones. Democrats threw in some bones. They finally agreed on how many bones for each side. The Democrats voted on and passed the annual budget. And...Then...Gov. Christie pulled out his line item veto pen and removed all of the bones that he threw to the Democrats. Christie played the Democrats for complete suckers. Yeah, he knows how to reach across.

December 22, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. James

I've always wondered how such an arrogant, large, loudmouthed bully was ever elected to the position of governor.

December 22, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. Four and The Door

Romney/ Christie would be a much better act than the Greek Tragedy Obama & Biden are producing for America.

December 22, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Mary

This is going to sound not very nice. Gov. Christie, ya might want to hit Jenny Craig or Nutri-System before you run. The campaign schedule can be very grueling and physically demanding, and that;s just to GET to the White House. I doubt you heart can handle the constant stress of the presidency.

December 22, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. Wire Palladin, S. F.

After Mittens loses in 2012, that would make Christie the heir apparent in 2016. According to Christie, he is not ready, and that includes being governor of NJ.

December 22, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

Unless he plans to resign in 2 weeks, of course he will be governor in 2012.

December 22, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. Woman In California

On this issue Christie is right. He (Christie) would upstage Romney (which doesn't take much). The only person who would not take center stage from Romney is a dead person. The guy's a natural stiff but then again Romney won't have to worry because he will NEVER be president.

December 22, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Bloated blowhard strikes again!

December 22, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

William Howard Taft 2.0 much? Has lard-ass ever seen the inside of a gym?

December 22, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Rick McDaniel

V.P. would be a waste of Christie's abilities.

December 22, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Ben Dover

A Laurel and Hardy ticket....gonna need a bigger bus, and bring lots of donuts!!

December 22, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. T'sah from Virginia

Abbott and Costello @ their best... Christie knows doggone well he gave Romney the endorsement because he was promised the number 2 spot.

Who's on FIRST? What's on SECOND? I don't know who's on THIRD? lol

Obama 2012

December 22, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. Marie MD

I really and turly needed this laugh today. Hey fats, you are not a good VP candidate. You can't walk a couple of blocks. Waddling around with the President after the hurricanes and then slamming him because you are a tea tard doesn't cut it either.
    I don't think the people of NJ like you that much anyway. You have too much baggage and I am not just talking that big double wide body of yours.

December 22, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Two northeast neocons, one a flip-flopping robot and the other a walking heart attack who appoints Muslim judges. Should play great in the south and west.

Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

December 22, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. willie floyd

Thought I heard him say several times he would not consider that-on A.M. Joe I think.

December 22, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Sniffit

He's just saying that because he thought "VP" meant "veal parmesan."

December 22, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. bill

Romney/Christie vs uhdumbo and plugs. This would be fun.

December 22, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Greg

Pound for pound, he is the best choice.

December 22, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. anagram_kid

Ah Four and The Door, I see that after yesterday's debacle/smack-down you are back to your simple one line 'anybody but Obama' drivel. I applaud you for sticking to what you know.

December 22, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Larry L

What a shock! I thought he was smooching up to Romney out of mutual respect... I hope the Koch brothers have blessed this union.

December 22, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |