Trump dumps GOP
December 23rd, 2011

Trump dumps GOP

(CNN) - Donald Trump continued to tease a potential presidential run by changing his voter registration Thursday from Republican to "unaffiliated" and publicly denouncing the behavior of members of his former party.

Michael Cohen, an aide to Trump, said the real estate mogul and reality television star made the switch "in order to preserve his right to run for president as an independent if he's not satisfied with who the Republicans nominate."

The change was made with the New York State Board of Elections.

Cohen added that Trump was "disgusted with the way Republicans are handling" the payroll tax cut extension, saying the actions of Republicans were partly to blame for his party change.

Cohen also cited foreign policy issues, claiming Trump had been ahead of the curve in predicting security issues in Iraq after the U.S. pulled out troops.

"Iraq is imploding. Who else has been saying this except Trump?" Cohen said.

Trump's party switch is just the latest move taken by the businessman to indicate he might run for president. He very publicly contemplated a run in the Spring before announcing he wasn't willing to give up his reality show "The Apprentice" to launch a campaign.

Trump's presidential aspirations sprung up again in December, when he cancelled his appearance as moderator of a presidential debate, saying he wasn't "willing to give up my right to run as an independent candidate."

Filed under: Donald Trump • GOP
  1. Independent Voters

Trump you will never get my vote and I will vote for president Obama for 4 more years.
    I will vote the do nothing republican teaparty congress out of the office.

December 23, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. John

Who care what Donald trump thing any way. He a Idiot that full of hot air.

December 23, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. AmericanSam

I'm just not sure that Donald Trump is very intelligent.

December 23, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Len

Sorry bum ,What else is new from his male Gold Digger

December 23, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Paul

Run Donald run!!! The 2% he gets might turn out like Nader in 2000 which threw the election to Bush.

December 23, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. Yanni

Sorry to hear that he is gone to never land. The carnival barker character traits was fitting for the GOP

December 23, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. awsomedeal

Good luck Donald we'll be watching ..............

December 23, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. hamsta

if u were truly an independent voter u would realize the onlx two reasons the tea party sides with the republicans is cuz the dems think big government fixes problems and wants to give ur money away to welfare recipients.

December 23, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Trump got dumped.

December 23, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. T'sah from Virginia

►Trump dumps G O P◄
    All of my Pub friends – Where forth are thee?
    You told me you cared – You said you liked me
    I gave you great advice – And I did it for free!

Now I notice NONE of you want to relate
    I even offered an exclusive by way of a debate
    But all of you turned me down – what a disgrace
    For that, NONE of yous are gonna win – this dang race!!

So NOW I have decided to go my way and be me
    But FIRST I must dumb, the G O P
    I have a true calling – but “trust me” it’s NOT God-sent
    I got the $dough$ to run – as an In de pen dent!!!

LMAO – Really??? Yes truly!! Jeez!

Obama 2012 – For Real!!

December 23, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Portland tony

The "Donald" just needed a PR jolt prior to Christmas! Simply Balderdash!

December 23, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. The REAL Independent Voters

ANYONE is better than the current do nothing president. That being said, we are in a bad way with the choices we have.

December 23, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. TM

Before you run Donald, you need to produce YOUR long from birth certificate.

December 23, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

The GOP should celebrate!!

In fact, they should have dumped him first, but instead, they tried pandering...

December 23, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Pat in IL

What an idiot.

December 23, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. MTATL67

He is out of his mind If he thinks that Independents would vote for him. I know I sure would not give him my vote.

December 23, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. the Situation

This guy is a bigger joke than the Repubs fools running! Everyone knows he won't run. Trump is blowhard, a windbag and a first class punk! Keep telling yourself the reason why you are not running Donald Duck is because of your top rated show. His show sucks too!

December 23, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Roguey

There is no way Trump would allow for the public scrutiny on his personal finances that would be required were he to be a candidate.

December 23, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. lauradet

It's official. Donal Trump is a complete LOSER!

Donal Trump....YOU'RE FIRED.....LOL!

December 23, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Well, that's it. T-Rump is angry with the teabagging repubes, foreign owned media, Fox, is upset with the lazy republicans, senate republicans are upset with house republicans, 160 million Americans are upset with republicans, seniors are upset with republicans, veterans are upset with republicans, and to top it off, the Kochs and Rove are attacking all republican presidential candidates on behalf of Mittens. What a wonderful Christmas present.

December 23, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  21. Jewels

OMG - This guy is so full of himself. A little "it's all about me" for ya Donald?

December 23, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Claudia

This man will do ANYTHING to get attention....

Here's to president Obama for opening the curtain on the tea partiers in the House.
    If ever Boehner had a reason to cry... this is it!

December 23, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Arch

Trump changing his afiliation from the Silly Party to the Very Silly Party.

December 23, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. JP

So I guess now I will have to vote for the least onerous of three evils.

December 23, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. Sorensen

Nobody sain in the world gives a damn what Trump belongs to. Even the GOP would rather not talk about him.

December 23, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |