Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks
December 27th, 2011

Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks

Decorah, Iowa (CNN) - It was a rare sight, but Callista Gingrich, wife of GOP hopeful Newt Gingrich, stepped in front of the microphone to introduce her "husband and best friend" at a pizzeria Tuesday.

As much as the former House speaker boasts of his wife's involvement in his campaign, she rarely speaks on the record or at campaign events. She is a familiar face on the campaign trail and at book signings, often standing next her husband at the podium, but she rarely takes center stage herself.

Callista Gingrich, who attended Luther College, chose to make the final stop in Tuesday's Iowa campaign swing in the college town to introduce her husband at Mabe's Pizza.

She shared some of her personal history with a packed room in the basement of the legendary pizza restaurant.

"One little known fact is that I actually lived upstairs above Mabe's Pizza as a senior, so Mabe's is very special to me," she said.

She quickly moved on to tout her husband's credentials.

"A lot of people ask me why Newt would be a good president, and I really think that Newt has been preparing for this challenge his entire life," she said in Decorah.

"He has a proven record of national leadership, a thorough understanding of our nation's history and a genuine love for our country, and I believe he is the best person to lead our country."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Newt Gingrich
  1. derp

I wonder what we will call Newt's first two wives if he gets elected. Second and third lady?

December 28, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Lenny Pincus

"He was so much fun to have an affair with that I married the guy!!"

December 28, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. bcm

She looks like a mannequin!

December 28, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. detada

The trophy wife speaks. The question is "Is anyone listening"?

December 28, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. smc

Callista Gingrich speaks out: "I am 90%, no make that 80%, certain that as long as I don't get seriously ill or stop getting plastic surgery, my husband will stick with me, unless he needs some new tail – all in service of the country of course."

December 28, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. So if Gingrich won ...

Calista would become First Tramp?

December 28, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. bill

Wow!!!! People, people .... remeber this "Let him who has no sin amongst you cast the first stone"

December 28, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  8. CarlD

...and they say ACORN was bad

December 28, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. Bill

When we criticize Newt. and Callister so harshly, we fall into thesame sin he fell into several years ago when he was calling for the head of Bill Clinton.

December 28, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Southam

It's an act of great courage that she's speaking.
    There is the risk that her hair laquer will crack if her head trembles in the wrong way. Moving your jaw will do this.
    This would cause a 15-min. delay in the photo ops– fatal! And then, there's the makeup...

December 28, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |