Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks
December 27th, 2011

Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks

Decorah, Iowa (CNN) - It was a rare sight, but Callista Gingrich, wife of GOP hopeful Newt Gingrich, stepped in front of the microphone to introduce her "husband and best friend" at a pizzeria Tuesday.

As much as the former House speaker boasts of his wife's involvement in his campaign, she rarely speaks on the record or at campaign events. She is a familiar face on the campaign trail and at book signings, often standing next her husband at the podium, but she rarely takes center stage herself.

Callista Gingrich, who attended Luther College, chose to make the final stop in Tuesday's Iowa campaign swing in the college town to introduce her husband at Mabe's Pizza.

She shared some of her personal history with a packed room in the basement of the legendary pizza restaurant.

"One little known fact is that I actually lived upstairs above Mabe's Pizza as a senior, so Mabe's is very special to me," she said.

She quickly moved on to tout her husband's credentials.

"A lot of people ask me why Newt would be a good president, and I really think that Newt has been preparing for this challenge his entire life," she said in Decorah.

"He has a proven record of national leadership, a thorough understanding of our nation's history and a genuine love for our country, and I believe he is the best person to lead our country."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Newt Gingrich
  1. Rudy NYC

Inside Newton's Head:
    I am Newt the Great, the king of politics, and married to Callista the Third.

December 28, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. Terry Gloege

And, no doubt her best meal ticket to date.

December 28, 2011 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  3. superfudge1

Once again the "tolerant" liberal left are bashing conservative females. Liberals are hypocritical and generally wrong on every issue.

December 28, 2011 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  4. ahah

The gold digger speaks, seem to rember she was the reason for Newts 2nd devorce.

December 28, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

I think a lot people have misinterpreted the Pearl Harbor remark, or maybe I did. I dunno. I thought the remark was a reference to the sudden barrage of political attacks that he has received in recent days and weeks. In Newt's world of Reagan Republicans, no one degrades his fellow Republican, which is why he was so genuinely surprised when the concerted effort began with such vigor.

Such an attitude could explain why his campaign has been so slow to respond to the attack ads with ads of their own. Newt Gingrich was caught unawares and unprepared. I think his initial response says volumes about his perception of reality.

December 28, 2011 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  6. sortakinda

"Here's my husband, best friend.....and he hasn't cheated on me within the past 24 hours to the best of my current awareness!"

December 28, 2011 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  7. LLOYD ROBERTS

Hey, how old is Newt. Just realized, he must be Viet Nam veteran age. How come he doesn't have a military career to boast about. Besides the three marriages and a religious conversion, did this tough talking fake repub also draft dodge like lot's of tough talking repubs of today did. He's been planning this his whole life, huh.

December 28, 2011 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  8. RADIODUDE

I question if he could be elected. But I would love too see him debate President Obama. He is a very smart guy that knows what he is talking about. But the most important thing is for A new President too be elected. So I will probably support Romney.

December 28, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  9. Reddog9500

I would have been more impressed if she had said that she knew that her husband was a lying adulterer and a sleazy weasel, but when did that stop anyone from being a good President. And besides, he thinks she's pretty (?) enough to be a First Lady.

December 28, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  10. Person

because there is just so much behind those lifeless, vapid eyes.

December 28, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  11. Cedar Rapids

"Lisa – Which wife/mistress is this one??"

well its the 3rd wife but as to which number mistress she was, your guess is as good as mine.

December 28, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  12. Nope

She can slap that Republican matron hairdo on her head and glue that stupid smile on her face, but it doe snot hide the fact that she is a home wrecking hypocrite who sang in her church choir and pretended to be such a woman of virtue while she slept with a married man. She will NEVER be First Lady of this nation.

December 28, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  13. Eye of Newt

Absolutely everything about Callista is creepy.

December 28, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  14. tim

There is an inherent problem for a candidate when you read the headline and the first question that pops into someone's mind is "Which one?"

Newt is the Liz Taylor of politics in regards to marriage

December 28, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  15. agathokles

Little-known fact: Gingrich was at that pizzeria, interviewing for a post-campaign job. "I have a sweeping knowledge of history," he said, which will serve him well as he sweeps the floors after frat parties at the popular, college-town restaurant.

December 28, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. Babs

I find it easier to forgive Mr. Gingrich than Mr. Obama. Face it. In order to get our country back, we might have to vote for someone other than our first choice.

December 28, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. Puddin

What role models this pair would make!!! They make a good pair, though; they both have the same brand of wickedness. This is not the president and first lady I would pick for the anyone to look up to and admire.

December 28, 2011 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  18. Peri Browner

After the chicken lady puts the fire in her husband's pants out, then, maybe, I'd be interested in listening to anything this "other woman" has to say.

December 28, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  19. Mike

She should be wearing a t-shirt that states "No. 3 and counting...." Remember dear, his first 2 wives thought they knew him as well, until he dumped them for somehting better. He's worse than Bill Clinton.

December 28, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. Michael

title is confusing as there are 3 Mrs Gingrich. This one is correct, Newt has been a liar, hypocrite all his life. He is prepared

December 28, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  21. Don

The best (and perhaps only positive) thing about him is that he is an alternative to Mitt Romney. Given that Romney is a "I will say and be anything I need to be to get elected" politician, Newt doesn't look too bad.

December 28, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. Chris in Rosslyn

Sorry – simply cannot envision this woman as the nation's First Lady. Just. Can't. Do It.

December 28, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. SoulTrain1946

Don't take seriously the words of anyone who would choose to style their hair like that.

December 28, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  24. Fair is Fair

I hope all you haters that are trashing Callisa Gingrich with your disgusting rants aren't too too upset when the next Michelle Obama article comes up....

December 28, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  25. Jake

This is because he is falling in the polls and he's pulling out anything he can to survive.

December 28, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |