Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks
December 27th, 2011

Callista Gingrich makes rare campaign remarks

Decorah, Iowa (CNN) - It was a rare sight, but Callista Gingrich, wife of GOP hopeful Newt Gingrich, stepped in front of the microphone to introduce her "husband and best friend" at a pizzeria Tuesday.

As much as the former House speaker boasts of his wife's involvement in his campaign, she rarely speaks on the record or at campaign events. She is a familiar face on the campaign trail and at book signings, often standing next her husband at the podium, but she rarely takes center stage herself.

Callista Gingrich, who attended Luther College, chose to make the final stop in Tuesday's Iowa campaign swing in the college town to introduce her husband at Mabe's Pizza.

She shared some of her personal history with a packed room in the basement of the legendary pizza restaurant.

"One little known fact is that I actually lived upstairs above Mabe's Pizza as a senior, so Mabe's is very special to me," she said.

She quickly moved on to tout her husband's credentials.

"A lot of people ask me why Newt would be a good president, and I really think that Newt has been preparing for this challenge his entire life," she said in Decorah.

"He has a proven record of national leadership, a thorough understanding of our nation's history and a genuine love for our country, and I believe he is the best person to lead our country."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Newt Gingrich
  1. adam

i don't much care for Newt, but I love Mabe's Pizza!!

December 28, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. Nope

Get over yourself "Fair is Fair." Michelle Obama is a real human being who has done great things for this nation's children.

December 28, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. Sam

once again, ,practically every comment on this article is negative, bashing someone else, trashing their looks, character and whatever else...

you people have no life at all. Every single article about a Republican ends up having hundreds of people trashing them personally as much as possible.

Do you have anything positive to offer the world? You do realize you will never write a best selling book like Gingrich has? You do realize you will never become House speaker like he did? You will never be a college professor like he was?

You do realize that when your days are over, nobody will care. You will have left a very small impact on the world. You people are so jealous. That's why you have nothing to offer the world except disparaging comments about someone. You never offer anything positive about anyone.

December 28, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Kevin

Wow... she's one scary looking woman... Fake plastic smile and those eyes... OMG... It's like looking at a shark walking on land... Newt might have met his match with this one... He probably doesn't want to get mad... It might not be good for his health! But is she First Lady stuff.... OH PLEASE... Newt, Go away... And take your fake, plastic thing with you!

December 28, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. billy davis

Jake, That's Newt's problem he doesn't know how to pull out. When the next new young thing that works for him comes along he'll leave Calista for.

December 28, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  6. sammieb51

I couldn't resist clicking on this as I wondered - Which Mrs. Gingrich?

December 28, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

Babs wrote:

I find it easier to forgive Mr. Gingrich than Mr. Obama. Face it. In order to get our country back.....
    -------------
    "...'get our country back..." Can anyone please explain exactly what that phrase is supposed to mean? That phrase an all of the variations of it like; "...take our country back...", or "retaking", or "restore" and "restoring". Just what exactly is that supposed to mean? I just don't know, but I do know what it sounds like.

It sounds like a rebel band conspiring to overthrow someone or something that has always been viewed as, and equated with, evil. To launch a coup de etat against an evil empire that has taken control of the galaxy, or the planet. And just who or what is this "evil" that they are conspiring against, and why is it "evil"?

I have never heard these types of words being used in American politics before. Not until now, not until Obama, the nations's first black President. Would I be all that wrong to conclude that there are significant numbers of people within this country who loathe at the thought of a black man being in charge?

December 28, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Canadian Jim

He has been preparing for this his entire life. He said to a friend when he divorced his first wife, "SHe's not young enough or pretty enough to be the wife of a President." Tells you all you need to know about this guy.

December 28, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. bigdawg

The reason CallistaBot 3.0 doesn't speak is because they have yet to perfect her voice recognition software.

December 28, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  10. Rsprings

Nasty people post here. I don't like Newt President so what I think of her is no important.

December 28, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. John in Brooklyn

Is it a requirement that Republican First Lady candidates look like Cindy McCain?

December 28, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. Lindsey

Man, this lady is scary looking, not to mention very high-maintenance. It must take about 4 hours to prep her to her satisfaction for the cameras. Bet she can't wait to sit in the WH and let the taxpayers pay for her expensive Tiffany baubles.

December 28, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  13. SaintM

Calista Gingrich is even more plastic than Cindy McCain–didn't think that was possible. Newt is an unattractive bloated gut, so the only attraction between them is money and political gain. Newt is not the right man for the job, and Plastic Calista is not FLOTUS material at all. The right President and First Lady are currently residing in the White House–if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

President Obama 2.0, 2012

December 28, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote: [Happy Holidays to my Conservative Muse]

I hope all you haters that are trashing Callisa Gingrich with your disgusting rants aren't too too upset when the next Michelle Obama article comes up....

But Rudy... you didn't answer my question. ... I PROVED you wrong. Eat it.
    ---------------
    Please accept my apologies if you found my remarks about Mrs. G offensive, pal. You know me well enough by now to know that derisive remarks is jus tnot my style. I, too, find them out of order. No matter who is throwing the word bombs.

Congratulations, Fair. You ended my perfect season. I am not a tax expert, nor have I ever filed taxes using EIC. I do wish to point out that you cannot deny that EIC was introduced by Republicans and signed into law by a Republican President. Again, congratulations on your upset.

December 28, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Todd in DC

Fair is Fair, you do realize that Michele Obama is Barak's one and only wife. Calista is number 3, and her face had 2 or 3 surgeries too many.

December 28, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. MRose

Trust me....women who marry men like this do not do it because of a physical attraction to them.

What is she talking about? WHEN did she live over the Pizza place?

As a senior? so she now lives over Mabe's Pizza? huh?

December 28, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. Seattle Sue

If Gringrich was elected President, then Ruby Red Lips would become first lady. Both of them have the morals of alley cats. We would be the laughing stock of the word. Can you imagine the jokes that would be going around about these two.

December 28, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. dginkc

Callista speaks – "Take me to your leader...we come in peace".

December 28, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  19. Cynthia

Yes, but can she do jumping-jacks??

December 28, 2011 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

Reddog9500 asked:

And besides, he thinks she's pretty (?) enough to be a First Lady.
    --------------–
    Yup, not a problem. She's "pretty enough" to be a first lady. Callista would win a beauty contest over several former first ladies, including at least one former first lady in particular, since the dawn of the age of television. I don't want to name names, but fans of SNL should be able to figure out who I am thinking about.

December 28, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Jilli

The clingon speaks!!!

Sorry, I can't picture a lifelong huckster/con man and mistress #2(?) turned wife as residents of the white house. Our standards have to be higher than that.

December 28, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  22. V in Chicago

@SoulTrain1946 – we call that "helmet head". Fits, doesn't it?

December 28, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. Doug in NYC

Wait, isn't she the one who bragged to all her friends she was having an affair with a married Congressman? Gotta love those Republican family values, Do as I say, not as I do!

December 28, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. Dieter Zerressen

I want to hear from #1 and #2 Gingrich. That article I would read.

December 28, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. JACK AINSWORTH

Like his friend Herman: the poor fellow just wants to get back on message. News flash: Newt, your history is your message.

December 28, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |