Gingrich wouldn't vote for Ron Paul
December 27th, 2011

Gingrich wouldn't vote for Ron Paul

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich said Tuesday he wouldn't vote for Ron Paul if the Texas congressman won the 2012 GOP nomination.

Speaking to CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Gingrich slammed Paul as out of line with mainstream Republican viewpoints, including his stance on Israel, Iran, and September 11.

"I think Ron Paul's views are totally outside the mainstream of virtually every decent American," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Gingrich continued: "He's got to come up with some very straight answers to get somebody to take him seriously. Would I be willing to listen to him? Sure. I think the choice of Ron Paul or Barack Obama would be a very bad choice for America."

When asked if he would be able to vote for Paul if his rival won the 2012 GOP nomination, Gingrich said unequivocally "No."

"I think it's very difficult to see how you would engage in dealing with Ron Paul as a nominee," Gingrich said. "Given the newsletters, which he has not yet disowned. He would have to go a long way to explain himself and I think it would be very difficult to see today, Ron Paul as the Republican nominee."

Paul's role in writing newsletters with racist remarks came under increased scrutiny last week as polls showed the Texas rising in popularity among Iowa voters. The most recent, from the American Research Group, shows Paul, Gingrich and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in a dead heat for first place. Paul has indicated he did not write all of the content in his newsletters and had not read some of it before publication.

In responding to negative ads Paul's campaign has released slamming Gingrich's record as a conservative, the former House speaker said the spots were inaccurate.

"You look at Ron Paul's record of systemic avoidance of reality, his ads are about as accurate as his newsletter," Gingrich said.

Gingrich named Paul's stance on Iran as representative of Paul's extremist viewpoints.

"He's not going to get the nomination. It won't happen," Gingrich said. "The people in the United States are not going to accept somebody who thinks it's irrelevant if Iran gets a nuclear weapon."

Paul's campaign responded to Gingrich Tuesday, calling his remarks "childish."

"Frustration from his floundering campaign has Newt Gingrich showing who he really is: a divisive, big-government liberal," Paul Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton said. "Newt has a long record of standing against conservatives dating back to his support for liberal Nelson Rockefeller over Barry Goldwater, so this sort of childish outburst is nothing new."

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Ron Paul
  1. Jack

If Newt wins the GOP and Dr Paul does not run on a third party ticket then i'm voting Obama , would rather four more of Obama than one day of Newt !

December 27, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Anonymous

The Rove machine and the Gingrich machine will do whatever they can to derail Paul because he is the only real conservative in the primary.

December 27, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Nana1954

Not a big Newt fan but he is right on the mark about Ron Paul

December 27, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  4. Another commenter

While I may not agree with all of Ron Paul's foreign policy proposals, he certainly makes me think about things from a different perspective, which I think is healthy for me. And his domestic policy proposals are a lot more in line with what many Americans believe that what we have seen from the Republicans in the last couple of decades. I am not a Paulian, but I appreciate his message!

December 27, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. guy

gingrich is the right-wing extremist. ron paul appeals to both sides and has a much better chance of getting elected than a cheater and a liar. ron paul is not racist. his emphasis on individual rights give minorities the greatest protection, freedom, and liberty

December 27, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Scar

Actually, I'm pretty sick of Israel being the litmus test as to whether or not a Presidential candidate can be elected in this country. The saber rattling over Iran is only of real concern to our ally, Israel. Who has Iran attacked in the last 200 years? Who has Israel attacked? After you find that out - who is the bigger threat to peace?

We need a President who puts the UNITED STATES of AMERICA first. If they have to pass the loyalty test to Israel - we'll go bankrupt trying to bomb all of Israel's enemies for them. We don't have the money (or the soldiers) to kill off all the people they want us to. They should be grateful we took care of Iraq for them. Because Sadam was secular, not Islamist and he didn't have anything to do with 9/11. If we really wanted to get revenge for 9/11, we'd have bombed the country that 15 of the 19 hijackers (and bin Laden) came from: Saudi Arabia. Instead, we are wasting our money and the precious lives of our soldiers taking out Israel's enemies and creating more enemies for ourselves in the process.

I think Ron Paul is a nut on domestic issues, but at least his foreign policy is a step in the right direction. He's the only one I'd even consider voting for at this point, although I suspect that if he did get the nomination, there would be a small plane crash or a Sirhan-Sirhan type in his future. Anyone who would really make a change doesn't stand a chance. That is how corrupt the whole system is. Broken beyond repair and it saddens me to see my country has come to this.

December 27, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. Squealy

Well, Paul probably wouldn't vote for Gingrich either, so they're even.

December 27, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. A lizard named for an amphibian

Nobody cares who you'd vote for Newt, and I'm sure Ron Paul feels exactly the same way about you since you are one of the pompous, self-serving, corporate shills that got us where we are today.
    You should just go away...permanently.

December 27, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. Anomic Office Drone

The Paul campaign's rebuttal seals it.

If they honestly believe that Gingrich is a liberal instead of just a conservative they don't agree with, then Ron Paul and his ilk are even more out of touch with reality than anyone has ever accused them of being.

December 27, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. corupmty

Well what do you know..? The corrupt politician wont vote for the non corrupt.

December 27, 2011 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Sean

Newt can't bully us into voting one way or another.

December 27, 2011 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. bob

If YOU are serious about REAL CHANGE in Washington DC and America, vote for RON PAUL!

December 27, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  13. FrankUSMC

@Woman In California

Come on... we know he won't get it and Obama will win. But are you implying that Gingrich will by acting like such a jerk?

December 27, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. Steak

How in hell does Newt equate himself with anything that is 'decent', I'd like to know.

December 27, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  15. dagoberto

You won't vote for Ron Paul but nobody would vote for you.
    I know your mind is more confortable with Obama than with a conservative candidate. You should be promoting Obama instead.

December 27, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  16. John9999

Newt, decent for America? Who was that who delivered divorce papers to one of his, now, ex-wives while she was very close to dying of cancer? And, who left her for his, then, mistress? Yes, I remember it was Newt.

He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. Ron Paul's baggage is pretty minor compared with some of these other candidates.

December 27, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. ProperVillain

If you take out the word "Paul" in the headline it reads more accurately...

December 27, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. Victori

decent americans! Who does Newt think he is... please go away newt!

December 27, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. bob

Hey Newt, I remember your "Contract with America," and all it was was fluff, and no substance! In fact, of those programs you said that you would either kill or provide limited funding for, ALL received more money than before!

December 27, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. skarphace

Gingrich thinks that he speaks for 'decent Americans'? Really? Talk about head in the sand syndrome.

Ron Paul is more of a decent American than you could even percieve of being, Newt.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. woodrow

Gingrich is the only Republican I'd consider voting for. If he says Paul is out of step, I believe him. I think the whole GOP party is out of step, but I respect their efforts in recent months.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. egb

He thinks PAUL is outside the "mainstream of virtually every decent American"? If "decency" encompasses dumping your cancer-ridden wife (and then persistantly lying about it), committing adultery on your second wife, and then marrying your co-adulterer, then it's true that Ron Paul is none of those things.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. john olson

Newt's staff left him for a reason. He is a mess of a politician. The more I see these type of attacks.. the more I think about what lies we are told. I think it is Ron Paul 2012 for me.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. mike

The fact that Americans trust a man who still claims to be very religious, after caught having affairs in two of his three marriages, is beyond me. Of course Ron Paul will continue to be attacked because he is the only candidate who wants to change things favoring the majority of our country, not corporations.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. test

its obvious, the only people that care about newt, are those that actually care about mainstream gop babble.

December 27, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |