Gingrich wouldn't vote for Ron Paul
December 27th, 2011

Gingrich wouldn't vote for Ron Paul

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich said Tuesday he wouldn't vote for Ron Paul if the Texas congressman won the 2012 GOP nomination.

Speaking to CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Gingrich slammed Paul as out of line with mainstream Republican viewpoints, including his stance on Israel, Iran, and September 11.

"I think Ron Paul's views are totally outside the mainstream of virtually every decent American," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Gingrich continued: "He's got to come up with some very straight answers to get somebody to take him seriously. Would I be willing to listen to him? Sure. I think the choice of Ron Paul or Barack Obama would be a very bad choice for America."

When asked if he would be able to vote for Paul if his rival won the 2012 GOP nomination, Gingrich said unequivocally "No."

"I think it's very difficult to see how you would engage in dealing with Ron Paul as a nominee," Gingrich said. "Given the newsletters, which he has not yet disowned. He would have to go a long way to explain himself and I think it would be very difficult to see today, Ron Paul as the Republican nominee."

Paul's role in writing newsletters with racist remarks came under increased scrutiny last week as polls showed the Texas rising in popularity among Iowa voters. The most recent, from the American Research Group, shows Paul, Gingrich and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in a dead heat for first place. Paul has indicated he did not write all of the content in his newsletters and had not read some of it before publication.

In responding to negative ads Paul's campaign has released slamming Gingrich's record as a conservative, the former House speaker said the spots were inaccurate.

"You look at Ron Paul's record of systemic avoidance of reality, his ads are about as accurate as his newsletter," Gingrich said.

Gingrich named Paul's stance on Iran as representative of Paul's extremist viewpoints.

"He's not going to get the nomination. It won't happen," Gingrich said. "The people in the United States are not going to accept somebody who thinks it's irrelevant if Iran gets a nuclear weapon."

Paul's campaign responded to Gingrich Tuesday, calling his remarks "childish."

"Frustration from his floundering campaign has Newt Gingrich showing who he really is: a divisive, big-government liberal," Paul Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton said. "Newt has a long record of standing against conservatives dating back to his support for liberal Nelson Rockefeller over Barry Goldwater, so this sort of childish outburst is nothing new."

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Ron Paul
  1. Byron

So who would he vote for? Obama? Cool!

December 27, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  2. Newtisaliar

He says Ron Paul hasn't disowned the bad statements in the newsletters? And multiple other lies!! Newt knows well Ron Paul disowned those statements even back in 1996 and multiple times since.

But Newt just showed the GOP he could never win against Obama. Because every Republican has to know no Ron Paul supporter would EVER vote for Gingrich after this.

December 27, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. R Burns

"Given the newsletters, which he has not yet disowned" I believe Mr Paul's exact words were "I disavow them" when interviewed on CNN recently. I believe that is equivalent to disowning them. So, Mr Gingrich, let's get our facts straight before venting. That being said, I wouldn't vote for Newt if he won the nomination, and Ron Paul still has some good (maybe even great) ideas. Considering that nothing currently being done is working. . .I'm still hoping another option will present itself before election time! Just not Sarah Palin, Trump, or Martha Stewart. Oh, sorry, I vote against her at the craft store!

December 27, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  4. Ricardo

Newt is a Big Liar. I can't stand him

December 27, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. Rudy

I think Newt should take his shutters off, Ron Paul Disowned the news letter about 10-20 years ago when he found out about them. ... o Newt you Slimy reptile... you should sit down with Ron Paul over coffee and see what hes about,because we all know that you only love the sound of your own voice, it would be a nice to change to hear someone other than yourself. Any knave could if they wanted to ,find out what Ron Pauls clear stances on Israel, 9/11 and Iran are. Maybe Newt has not yet heard of something called google or Youtube? If only people would get their opinions of Ron Pauls from listening to his own words, instead of listening to Cnn and Foxnews.. two big enemy's of small government and freedom..

December 27, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. bob

The only problem with Iran getting nuclear weapons is either the USA or Israel provocating Iran into a false war... The world has more too worry about from Israel than Iran...

December 27, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Matt

Why are we still listening to this windbag? He is washed up and clearly supports mainstream republicans which have destroyed this country over the last 10 years. Good luck newt – you're about 20 years too late to this party.

December 27, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. Josh

What Gingrich should have said... "Ron Paul is a bad choice for President. Even worse than me!"

December 27, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. Charlie

Love how "Republicans" are scared of real fiscal conservatives. Ron Paul has my vote. I will caucus for him, and hopefully be elected as a delegate.

You can't attack Paul on his stance on Israel. Israel has said they are willing and able to defend themselves. Give them their sovereignty. They already have vastly superior military might than their neighbors. They don't need us hovering over their shoulder on every decision. What right does Israel have to your or my tax dollars? Likewise, what right do all the surrounding Arab countries have to our money, especially in troubling economic times?

I say we keep that money here at home, and if we have to spend it, spend it helping our own citizens rather than those on the other side of the world.

People overestimate the power of the Presidency. There isn't much Paul can do without the support of Congress. So what if he vetoes every bill for four years. Would that really be such a bad thing? Better than a Democrat passing every bill the Dems send his way, or a Republican passing every bill they get through. Ron Paul is principled beyond the party game, and I admire that.

December 27, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. willie floyd

As a Dem. I could never vote for Mr. Paul either. Most of his views, his age, and a statement he made just a week or so ago-is he certain he can have the "stamina" to last through the primary? What might he do in an international crisis? No matter what some of his supporters say, IMO he is very definitely an isolationist.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

December 27, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  11. JLR

Given his past Gingrich has no business grouping himself with "decent Americans".

December 27, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  12. Neil

Did anyone else notice at the beginning, he said "Ron Paul has disowned 10 years of his newsletter." and at the end, he said "Ron Paul has not disowned the newsletter."

December 27, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  13. Josh Lillie

Israel IS a mistake.

December 27, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  14. woo

I guess that means Newt concedes that he will not get the GOP nomination. Right on!!

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  15. flarnkingsgargle

Paul is the only candidate since Clinton who legitimately understands fiscal policy AND isn't so crooked that he will let the Fed and the IRS get away with their theft. Too bad Americans are too stupid to realize that.

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  16. scott

Woman in California.... I wonder how it feels when your state has to write IOUs to pay the bills because they are broke. I suppose reality hasn't hit you yet either. Debt will destroy our lives.

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  17. skarphace

Ron Paul knows what most Americans know. The Mexican cartels are a much bigger threat to our way of life than Iran is.

End the Police State. End the Nanny State. End the wars. Bring our troops home and have them secure our borders instead of foreign borders. Balance the budget.

Ron Paul 2012.

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  18. Phearis

Oh, and I suppose Gingrich IS the right choice for America?? Keep in mind that this is the same man that has committed adultery on ALL THREE of his wives (one of which had cancer at the time), He was brought up and charged with Ethics Violations, He was forced to resign as Speaker of the House in 1998 because his performance of the job was the worst in 64 years and has been caught in, I don't even know how many, flat out lies! Oh! and Faux News (keep in mind that Faux News is insanely GOP) couldn't find a single Republican that would say they would vote for Gingrich. Heck, even Glenn Beck said he'd vote for Obama over Gingrich. lol, That has to tell you something!

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. Joop Kaashoek

Newt Gingrich will be a huge step backward, to dictatorship, to use of religion by the state for opportunistic reasons, pretty much the 5-th century.

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  20. T'sah from Virginia

I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul either – nor any other candidate on the Right – Huntsman, maybe, but it would have to be in the year 2016 and there is NO ONE on the Left I feel is qualified!

For now – Obama 2012!!

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  21. MCR

This is the third time I've agreed with Gingrich in the last month. I've NEVER agreed with Gingrich!

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  22. thebopper

Ron Paul is definitely the most electable of all the GOP candidates. In a straight up fact debate he would crush Obama. Obama is not a fact person, he's like your best friend who wants to buy you an ice cream cone with his parents money he stole.

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. marbro

Once a cheater always a cheater. Just ask one of newts ex wives...........

December 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  24. bob

"I think Ron Paul's views are totally outside the mainstream of virtually every decent American," Gingrich said".

Well, as a veteran of three wars who believes in Ron Paul, I guess that I am not a decent American...?

But, I know for certain that I am a more "decent American" than Gingrich!

December 27, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. BriSoFla

Newt is right about MORAN PAUL. He wont win the nomination. OBAMA 2012!

December 27, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |