High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul
December 28th, 2011

High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - One of Michele Bachmann's most high-profile advisers in Iowa announced Wednesday he is pulling his support away from the Republican presidential candidate.

Instead, Iowa State Sen. Kent Sorenson announced at a Ron Paul rally that he now supports the Texas congressman. Sorenson - who had been frequently seen by Bachmann's side and who had frequently spoken in her defense - appeared to surprise the crowd of a few hundred Paul supporters with his announcement.

"Tonight's a little tough for me; I've been serving as Michele Bachmann's state chair for the last year," Sorenson said. "And while Michele has fought tremendously for my conservative values, I believe we're at a turning point in this campaign. I believe that we have an opportunity to elect a conservative, someone who holds our values dear."

"While the Republican establishment is going to be coming against him over the next several days, I thought it was my duty to come to his aid," Sorenson continued.

"It's difficult, but it's the right thing to do. Because he fights for the values that I hold dear as well. And I just want to tell you guys I'm going to do everything in the next few days to help in Iowa and beyond. And we're going to take Ron Paul all the way to the White House 2012."

Adding to the dramatic surprise is that Sorenson appeared with Bachmann at a campaign event in Indianola, Iowa, just a few hours before he announced he would support Paul.

Responding to the developments, Bachmann released a statement saying the switch “was a deliberate move by the Ron Paul campaign to discredit our campaign and our growing momentum,”

She continued, “Ron Paul is in trouble in Iowa and his campaign is worried about people learning about his dangerous stance on foreign policy and how he will make America less safe.”

Bachmann also accused Sorenson of changing teams for money.

"Kent Sorenson personally told me he was offered a large sum of money to go to work for the Paul campaign,” Bachmann wrote. “Kent campaigned with us earlier this afternoon and went immediately afterward to a Ron Paul event and announced he is changing teams. Kent said to me yesterday that 'everyone sells out in Iowa, why shouldn't I,' then he told me he would stay with our campaign. The Ron Paul campaign has to answer for its actions.”

Sorenson flatly denied Bachmann’s allegations Wednesday.

Paul and Bachmann are locked in a tight race for votes six days before Iowa's first-in-the-nation presidential caucus.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • Ron Paul
  1. gg

ron paul 100yrs to late

December 29, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. Bruce Eder

It's all okay with me - watching these people stab each other in the back is some of the best slapstick comedy I've seen in the media since Abbott & Costello retired.

December 29, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. Logic in LA

Remember this guy is an elected official. He took a strong stance becoming State Chair and now defected. That's who is running our country- opportunists!

December 29, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. crawbar

If you want to see a face of an idhhiot, look at Ron Paul.
    As to Kent Sorenson, he is a political prastatute. I would vote him out of the state senate. I wish Bachman went to the top – you would see him crawling back to her and begging to take him back.

December 29, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Carlin123

They will all be jumping to Paul soon.

December 29, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Common Sense

Big question, wht do we need these so called primaries? I thought this country was built on "one person, one vote." I see that 12 million has been spent in Iowa alone and who knows how many millions will be spent leading up to the election. Why not just let the voters go to the polls and vote their choice? Give the candidates all equal time on television and radio to air their rhetoric and then set aside one week for voters to vote. The one with the most votes wins and the second place finisher gets to be Vice President. I know it sounds overly simplistic but it's a darn better alternative to the BS process we have now with millions upon millions being spent or shall I say being wasted. Think of it no more posters, no more TV ads, no more anything but let's say every candidate gets a 15 minute plug on TV and a 2 minute shot on radio each week starting in September and ending in November. If people don't listen then that's their problem. This current process is a waste of time, effort and money.

December 29, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. Kitty2

Ahhhh! The queen of misinformation is putting her spin on events. So predictable.

December 29, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. donna

Bachmann's campaign was one of the strongest vocal critics of Paul's foreign policy. But if this conservative Tea Party Senator can understand the sense in Ron Paul's foreign policy, the rest of the Tea Party will follow suit.

It makes me wonder how the Veterans feel about Ron Paul. Their endorsement of a President should be a stamp of approval on foreign policy.

December 29, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. Fla Pete

Let the Repubs eat each other ,like piranhas that they are.Barack will have a field day on all the dirty info collected from debates,etc on all their butts.Another term for team Obama....

December 29, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. namraj

Could it be that Kent Sorenson is following his conscience after Bachman accused RP of being a racist. Any who has followed RP and looked at his policies know that this is an empty charge. Shame on Michelle.

December 29, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Rice

He went from one unelectable candidate to another so he does not look any smarter. Its time to cut the field down to the three candidates that have a chance of beating our inept President. As it is now all this is just making our lousy and distant President look good which in the current environment seems unimaginable.

December 29, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. peggy

So exactly, where is God in all this?

December 29, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  13. Just make it up

Bachmann back to making up story. In her mind all things are possible... well except maybe reality.

December 29, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Tanker

Ms. Bachmann has finished making the Kool-Aide. Now would everyone please line up with your cups ready...

December 29, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Tex71

I guess you could call it a smart move to dump rabies in favor of dementia...

December 29, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. ST

That is not a good signal for you Michelle. Get prepared to call it a quit. Go back home, relax, eat well again and gain some weight. The Campaign has almost eaten you!

December 29, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Your Answer

Peggy, you ask where God is in all this? He is with the Democrats! Because it has been Proven they are the Compassionate, Loving Ones who are more aligned with God and His people than the do-nothing, CONServatives who would just as soon throw the Middle Class, minorities, and the poor under the bus, and have, and will continue to!

December 29, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. BLKMANinAmerica

Maybe (this might be putten it "outta-here"), this chick relized that Bachmann is DOA anyway......................great move although ur booie (Paul) is also DOA when it comes to become President of the U.S. I think this chick left crazy to be with crazier...........WHATEVEA! Only in America.

December 29, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  19. GOD

Your Answer,

I'm an independant...

December 29, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  20. PreviewOfThingsToCome

Next year is going to be another bad year for the CONS. The Cons-ervatives due to what they stand for, what they do not stand for, and for the Damage they would do to this country if elected! People are now waking up to that Fact!

December 29, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  21. Tim

Wishfiul thinking to the desperate!!! RP is old such as John McCain and no chance in hell. The man is a whack job and yes, I think he's a racist!

December 29, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Paul1st

Gotta wonder where a "large sum of money" came from to buy off Sorenson. Could it be that unlimited and undisclosed corporate campaign contributions are coming home to roost for the GOP?

December 29, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. WhereIsPalin

Kent Sorenson....Who would want the backing of that guy?

December 29, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |