High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul
December 28th, 2011

High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - One of Michele Bachmann's most high-profile advisers in Iowa announced Wednesday he is pulling his support away from the Republican presidential candidate.

Instead, Iowa State Sen. Kent Sorenson announced at a Ron Paul rally that he now supports the Texas congressman. Sorenson - who had been frequently seen by Bachmann's side and who had frequently spoken in her defense - appeared to surprise the crowd of a few hundred Paul supporters with his announcement.

"Tonight's a little tough for me; I've been serving as Michele Bachmann's state chair for the last year," Sorenson said. "And while Michele has fought tremendously for my conservative values, I believe we're at a turning point in this campaign. I believe that we have an opportunity to elect a conservative, someone who holds our values dear."

"While the Republican establishment is going to be coming against him over the next several days, I thought it was my duty to come to his aid," Sorenson continued.

"It's difficult, but it's the right thing to do. Because he fights for the values that I hold dear as well. And I just want to tell you guys I'm going to do everything in the next few days to help in Iowa and beyond. And we're going to take Ron Paul all the way to the White House 2012."

Adding to the dramatic surprise is that Sorenson appeared with Bachmann at a campaign event in Indianola, Iowa, just a few hours before he announced he would support Paul.

Responding to the developments, Bachmann released a statement saying the switch “was a deliberate move by the Ron Paul campaign to discredit our campaign and our growing momentum,”

Bachmann also accused Sorenson of changing teams for money.

"Kent Sorenson personally told me he was offered a large sum of money to go to work for the Paul campaign,” Bachmann wrote. “Kent campaigned with us earlier this afternoon and went immediately afterward to a Ron Paul event and announced he is changing teams. Kent said to me yesterday that 'everyone sells out in Iowa, why shouldn't I,' then he told me he would stay with our campaign. The Ron Paul campaign has to answer for its actions.”

Sorenson flatly denied Bachmann’s allegations Wednesday.

Paul and Bachmann are locked in a tight race for votes six days before Iowa's first-in-the-nation presidential caucus.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • Ron Paul
  1. Tom

I've been around along time, and I've never witnessed such peculiar behavior on the part of political candidates. I would never vote for any of the 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls because they are all too weird for words.

December 29, 2011 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  2. steve harnack

I thought that free-markets solved all problems. If he was offered a large sum of money to work for Paul, isn't she supposed to offer even more money or accept the free-market conclusion. These Republikans never want to live by their own beliefs, like perry wanting some judges to overturn the Virginia State Legislature on their primaries law.

December 29, 2011 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  3. Oldie in TampaBay

it just gets funnier .. this whole GOP debacle could be a soap opera. I've never seen so many flip flops as there have been this time!

December 29, 2011 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  4. nexace

Once someone learns about Ron Paul, there is no going back. The revolution is NOT coming. It's already here.

Ron Paul 2012!

December 29, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  5. BlackDynamite

She said she would never vote for Paul, either.
    Between her and Newt, those were all the endorsements needed to join Team Paul
    BD

December 29, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  6. Wanderer

Neither one has a real chance at winning the presidency so who cares?

December 29, 2011 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  7. Weasley

Rats jumping off of a sinking ship. Sadly, Paul is just as much of an extremist as the other wing nuts–a libertarian extremist–but an extremist nonetheless.

December 29, 2011 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  8. CTYank

Maybe Ron & Michelle give some on the fringe a way to vent or feel somehow superior. Dunno. Lots of delusions running around there. Both are clearly not up to the job of POTUS, IMHO. None of their candidates are.
    These Republican clowns, their far-right religiosity, and their freedom from intellectual burden are enough to keep pushing some of us as far as we can get from them. (What would Bill Buckley say about this group?)
    They're an insult to the intelligence of the average teenager; repeat any claim until taken as true.

December 29, 2011 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  9. Nick M

Another victory for Ron Paul. I'm glad some people have a sense of keeping our civil liberties...

December 29, 2011 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  10. jim

ha....hahahahahahah that's genius, and hillarious all at once.

no stopping the RP train!!

December 29, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  11. Nodack

Talk about a stab in the back. If I didn't dislike her so much I might feel sorry for her.

December 29, 2011 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  12. Tom Logan

I would vote for this man in a heartbeat. He is worthy of praise.

December 29, 2011 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  13. RP4Prez

Is that the sound of Confederate money I hear coming from your mouth Michelle? Ron Paul 2012!

December 29, 2011 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  14. Hannibalee

I am but one voice saying, "Is Ms. Bachmann waving goodbye in that picture?" Suddenly the Sound of music song comes to mind "So long, farewell, alvedansen, goodbye"

December 29, 2011 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  15. travis

Wow..mark this down. A reasonably positive Ron Paul story.

December 29, 2011 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  16. flarnkingsgargle

Indianola, Iowa....i like that.

December 29, 2011 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  17. brettrix

She continued, “Ron Paul is in trouble in Iowa and his campaign is worried about people learning about his dangerous stance on foreign policy and how he will make America less safe.” she doesn't still believe that line, does she?

and the last paragraph is a pullitzer prize.... a close race.. she is at 9% while Paul is in first place with 23%

December 29, 2011 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  18. Aezel

Michele who? Oh yeah, I forgot she was even hanging around anymore. The phrase "stick a fork in her, because she's done" applied 2 months ago. Now it's more like, "can someone please scrape the bloated corpse of her campaign up and take it out back and bury it?"

December 29, 2011 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  19. Max

"appeared to surprise the crowd of a few hundred Paul supporters with his announcement"

This is untrue. It was the veterans rally, which was broadcast live on tv. It wasn't a "few hundred".

December 29, 2011 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  20. Stayxsie Johnson

Michelle Bachman is a looney tune.....and I quote “was a deliberate move by the Ron Paul campaign to discredit our campaign and our growing momentum,”.....UMMM....LMAO.....her only momentum is that she will not even be a candidate when she resigns in the next few weeks due to a lack of anyone giving her money....BECAUSE she is a NUTCASE Psycho creepy bigot.

December 29, 2011 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  21. T'sah from Virginia

►TRENDING: High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul
    And Bachmann will come out as if he's not needed but at the same time cause a big brawl!
    It’s narrowing down now and the weak-links will break and quickly go tumbling out the door
    Then there’ll finally be ONE and President Obama will quickly use him to wipe up the floor!

Obama 2012!!

December 29, 2011 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  22. garrett4538

Go Ron!

December 29, 2011 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  23. N@TuRn3r

And this is why people hate politicians.

December 29, 2011 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  24. Leif Petterson

With that well thought out statement, Michelle, you've at least shown that you are a master strategist, not at all desperate. Being truthful and honest is overrated in this primary.

December 29, 2011 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  25. anonymous

Finally someone listens to reason.

December 29, 2011 04:19 am at 4:19 am |