High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul
December 28th, 2011

High-profile Bachmann backer deals blow to her Iowa campaign, endorses Paul

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - One of Michele Bachmann's most high-profile advisers in Iowa announced Wednesday he is pulling his support away from the Republican presidential candidate.

Instead, Iowa State Sen. Kent Sorenson announced at a Ron Paul rally that he now supports the Texas congressman. Sorenson - who had been frequently seen by Bachmann's side and who had frequently spoken in her defense - appeared to surprise the crowd of a few hundred Paul supporters with his announcement.

"Tonight's a little tough for me; I've been serving as Michele Bachmann's state chair for the last year," Sorenson said. "And while Michele has fought tremendously for my conservative values, I believe we're at a turning point in this campaign. I believe that we have an opportunity to elect a conservative, someone who holds our values dear."

"While the Republican establishment is going to be coming against him over the next several days, I thought it was my duty to come to his aid," Sorenson continued.

"It's difficult, but it's the right thing to do. Because he fights for the values that I hold dear as well. And I just want to tell you guys I'm going to do everything in the next few days to help in Iowa and beyond. And we're going to take Ron Paul all the way to the White House 2012."

Adding to the dramatic surprise is that Sorenson appeared with Bachmann at a campaign event in Indianola, Iowa, just a few hours before he announced he would support Paul.

Responding to the developments, Bachmann released a statement saying the switch “was a deliberate move by the Ron Paul campaign to discredit our campaign and our growing momentum,”

She continued, “Ron Paul is in trouble in Iowa and his campaign is worried about people learning about his dangerous stance on foreign policy and how he will make America less safe.”

Bachmann also accused Sorenson of changing teams for money.

"Kent Sorenson personally told me he was offered a large sum of money to go to work for the Paul campaign,” Bachmann wrote. “Kent campaigned with us earlier this afternoon and went immediately afterward to a Ron Paul event and announced he is changing teams. Kent said to me yesterday that 'everyone sells out in Iowa, why shouldn't I,' then he told me he would stay with our campaign. The Ron Paul campaign has to answer for its actions.”

Sorenson flatly denied Bachmann’s allegations Wednesday.

Paul and Bachmann are locked in a tight race for votes six days before Iowa's first-in-the-nation presidential caucus.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • Ron Paul
  1. Ron

Both of their campaigns have been over for a long, long time. BUT, I'd like to see them continue to fight for the nomination because I'd rather see them do that than return to congress and further hinder the "do nothing congress" of all time!

December 29, 2011 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  2. NoBS

THE RATS ARE JUMPING OFF bachman's SINKING SHIP!!!
    Go Ron Paul – win Iowa and the world is yours. hahahaha

December 29, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  3. Cfrench

Let's see, a republican changing direction as the wind blows. Does this honestly surprise anyone?

December 29, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  4. ML

The rats are eating their young!

December 29, 2011 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  5. Stephen

Michelle's not "conservative" enough for this Iowa senator. Now that's a scary thought.

December 29, 2011 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  6. Adam K

I hope everyone sees the light like this senator!

December 29, 2011 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  7. diridi

Any one who has head, will endorse Paul. In spite of the fact, he will not be front-runner, of course, it is Romney, but will not win in general election, only because he ships jobs overseas, he is for Rich, Oil, corporate, greed, and Iran War....it scares people. I think current one in White House, much better than these idiots. Obama2012/Hillary2016.

December 29, 2011 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  8. SPLAT!~

Good Conservative Values at work, what is my bid?~

December 29, 2011 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  9. JD in Moraga, CA

Who cares which extremist wack-job the guy supports, or what kind of drama they drum up around it? Truth is, the average American voter isn't going to put either Backyard Barbeque Barbie or the Wonder from the 18th Century into the White House in 2012.

December 29, 2011 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  10. Hammer Of The Gods

Dear Michelle,
    If you can pray the gay away,
    cant you just pray for more support ?
    Since you and god are so tight, it should be a given.

December 29, 2011 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  11. Grog Says

Bachmann has her pantyhose in a knot.

**switch “was a deliberate move by the Ron Paul campaign to discredit our campaign and our growing momentum.

Momentum ?
    She is in last place (with Perry) but she has momentum.

December 29, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  12. dom youngross

I wouldn't say Paul and Bachmann are locked in a tight race for Iowa votes. More like Bachmann is locked in with imminent obscurity.

The foreign policy Paul espouses is that of the Founding Fathers Michelle.

December 29, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  13. Dino Droppings

The lights are on, but she's not home.

December 29, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  14. Kevin O.

It's a free country, Michele. He can do whatever he wants. Your allegations may be true however given your track record for LYING I don't trust you one bit.

December 29, 2011 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  15. Manie

I mean really !!! what is she crying about. weather the man left her because he would get more money or because he believes in what pauls says, what does it matter. if she wanted him badly to stay then maybe she should have paid him more money. is that not what capitalisim is all about ? the very thing she preaches. then again if he left her cause he thinks pauls views are more apealing and in line with his ideals then too bad for her . agree with the guy or not , but dont punish him for doing what he thinks is best for him

December 29, 2011 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  16. Jake

Smart guy, now watch the rest of her campaign jump ship

December 29, 2011 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  17. BobAD Iowa

Until yesterday I was leaning to Ron Paul but after sitting there listening to him and evaluating what it would mean both on the state and federal levels (not world) I HAVE DESIDED THERE IS NO REPUBLICAN TAKE REPRESENTS MY VIEWS.

December 29, 2011 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  18. Manie

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

December 29, 2011 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  19. Al-NY,NY

Who cares what this guy does? Neither of them stand a chance in -- of winning anything

December 29, 2011 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  20. Liz the First

He just moved from one street to another in Crazyville! now it would've been news if he'd come to his senses and started working for Obama.

December 29, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  21. Rationalintn

Michelle Bachman's greatest gift is her ability to make CRAZY appear to be attractive. I mean look at her, she looks good. I just wanna give her a hug and tell her it'll be okay, then lead her back to her padded cell. There, there Michelle, now be a good girl.........

December 29, 2011 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  22. Bob

A Texan who is a Racist and Homophobe with Published Newsletters to prove it. Who has said we shouldn't of entered WWII even after Perarl Harbor .... and we shouldn't of gone into Afghanistan after the Saudi's who attacked us on 9/11.
    These are the values Sorenson identifies with?

December 29, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  23. Bess

OMG!!! God help us all!! Bachmann needs to disappear! Maybe she can team up with pukey Palin! Go OBAMA!!!

December 29, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  24. TimeToGetOut

This development is, as Ritt Money would say, "troubling". I'm sure you'll agree after you figure out what it means.

December 29, 2011 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  25. Gemini Girl

@Nodack,
    I don't like this looney tune either, and I feel sorry for her. She will drop out soon enough. Then she'll go back to her part-time job, being in congress. The one we have to watch is Newt the Lizard. As his poll numbers go down, you'll see him lashing out at anything and everything. That phony "positive" spin is just that. He is the original Mr. Negative, the original Grinch. Pass the popcorn!

December 29, 2011 08:55 am at 8:55 am |