'Liberated' Gary Johnson seeks Libertarian nomination
December 28th, 2011

'Liberated' Gary Johnson seeks Libertarian nomination

(CNN) – Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson announced his intention to seek the Libertarian nomination for president Wednesday.

Calling his choice "both a difficult decision-and an easy one," in a statement, Johnson decried the Republican presidential nomination process and pledged to bring a "libertarian voice" to the 2012 race.

Johnson blasted the inclusion of "candidates with no national name identification like Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and John Huntsman" as well as "candidates with no executive experience like Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum" in presidential debates while he was "arbitrarily excluded by elitist media organizations in New York."

The former two-term governor struggled to gain footing in national polls measuring support for GOP candidates seeking the 2012 presidential nomination and failed to meet criteria necessary to participate in debates. However, he has attended two debates: one in May, and another in September after reaching one percent support in five national polls.

And after "appeals to the Republican National Chairman for basic fairness were ignored," Johnson said he concluded that "the best answer is the simplest."

"I'm a Libertarian in belief. I successfully governed as a Libertarian in everything but the name, and I am running for president as a Libertarian."

As for that other Libertarian already running for president, "While Ron Paul is a good man and a libertarian who I proudly endorsed for president in 2008, there is no guarantee he will be the Republican nominee," Johnson said.

So far, he claimed "just the speculation that I might run as a Libertarian has garnered more national media attention than I ever received as a Republican candidate."

"I am excited," Johnson said. "I am liberated."

Filed under: 2012 • Gary Johnson
  1. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

"I am excited," Johnson said. "I am liberated."
    ====================================
    You're also DAFFY! Please, enough. You peaked with the Obama job joke in the debate. Please try to find another like of work. It ain't happenin' Gary!!! Wake up!!!

December 28, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. NVa Native

Really scrapping the barrel here.

December 28, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. NVa Native

" 'Liberated' Gay Johnson seeks Libertarian nomination" – removal of one letter would make it interesting. Without it it's just more of the same – "crazy-bus-full-of-GOP-drama-queens".

December 28, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  4. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

December 28, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  5. Dave Harris

All I know about Libertarians is that Libertarian girls are really hot. Don't ruin it by telling me any more.

December 28, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. Larry L

Libertarians never have realistic solutions. They tend to want anarchy rather than government. They dream of a return to a utopian world that never really existed. They want an isolationist, dysfunctional government in an era when every natiuon must strongly compete in an interconnected world. Like Ron Paul – they want simple solutions to very complex problems.

December 28, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Noodle Nose Johnson

Gary who?

December 28, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. RemainCalm

Ron Paul is not running as "the other Libertarian." He's a Republican Party candidate.

December 28, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. rufus

Libertarians are branded as nutty or kooky because the truth they speak does not comport with what the MSM wants us to believe. They want us to fight over "tastes great" vs "less filling" when the real issue is we should not be drinking that watered down horse pi$$ beer at all!

December 28, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  10. Bill9352

Actually, with all the game playing on both sides, a vote for a third party candidate is an effcetive way to send a message to both parties. The Libertarian Party is the best organized of the alternatives.

December 28, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE - So you're going to be the 3rd party candidate. I'm so thrilled. Yeah right! I'll make a deal with you Gary. Propose legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana and you've got my vote.
    ===============================================================================================
    Why am I not surprised that would be your primary concern.... Of course he supports that. It looks like you found your candidate for 2012. Better than wasting your vote on Obama.

December 28, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. diridi

December 28, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. Mark

Great, it just keeps getting more and more easy for Obama 2012

December 28, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Brittany S

I'm honestly excited for Johnson. I hope he gets on the ticket. I'd vote for him.

December 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

"who is this Guadalupe mountains dude,...or Carlsbad caverns...who is this dude?/????"
    --------
    A mind is a terrible thing.

December 28, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. Kevin in Atlatna

Honestly, I don't know much about Johnson. Though I don't want him to make an impact on the election. I want him to gain enough support and votes to make the other two parties realize that they aren't invincible...

December 28, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Mike

Look what Gov. Johnson did here in NM. Billions in surplus dollars. Ran as a republican and defeated a state that is two to one democrats. Won the second term by a land slide. Cut state spending and state jobs that were not needed. I would rather have a real person in office than the liar I voted for last time.

December 28, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Say, Remaincalm, do you know something about the Republican Nominating process that the rest of us are unaware of? Ron Paul is A Republican Party Candidate, not THE Republican Party Candidate.

December 28, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. Thad

I thought the economy was bad seems like a lot of people have money to waste on running for potus.

December 28, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. Matt

This guy has more heart than any presidential candidate in history. This is not your average politician people. Multiple Ironman finishes says it all. But most people wouldn't understand that. This is your man, unless you are someone that feeds off of welfare and are basically a leech on society. Then you are pretty much screwed.

December 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. Grover Norquist is Heinrich Himmler reincarnated.

The more the better. As a democrat i love watching this.

December 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Truth and Nothing But the Truth

GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE – So you're going to be the 3rd party candidate. I'm so thrilled. Yeah right! I'll make a deal with you Gary. Propose legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana and you've got my vote.
    ------------------------------------------------
    You must smoke crack if you think I'll vote for a republican or libertarian.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012
    ELIZABETH WARREN 2012 & BEYOND

December 28, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. LCDawg

Have any of you clowns read his platform? He actually says how he's going to make changes and fix this country. Democrats and Republicans have ruined this country.!Libertarians are the only answer. Read his website...it all makes perfect sense hence the reason the hyenas are braying!!!!!

December 28, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. Michelle

Johnson balanced his state budget, has high support from both colors (reds and blues) in his home state, and pragmatic views on the issues. He wants to end the wasteful war on drugs, citing that we should have learned something from organized crime and prohibition. He supports keeping govt out of marriage.

He also climbed Mt Everest (no, I'm not making this up). He is a TRUE conservative, as in smaller, more effective government that stays the heck out of your bedroom. Of COURSE he couldn't appeal to the fundibans of the GOP.

December 28, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. Hap

The fact that this is all that CNN got out of Gary Johnson's speech today is exactly the reason that he had to go third party. CNN and other media blocked him out of debates. When Cain dropped out, Gary Johnson could have gone up even on the list of GOP nominees. Ridiculous. This Independent was going to vote for Gary Johnson, the Republican. Now I will vote for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian. His message is the same. He is the only fiscal conservative for President.

December 28, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |