Romney: Why is Newt so angry?
December 28th, 2011

Romney: Why is Newt so angry?

(CNN) – Mitt Romney seemed puzzled Wednesday by Newt Gingrich's objection to the spate of negative ads coming from the former Massachusetts governor's presidential campaign.

"I don't know why he's so angry," Romney said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer." The full interview will air Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET.

"Look, this is a campaign about things we believe in," Romney said. "I believe the country's being led in a very unfortunate and destructive way by a president that doesn't really understand our economy and understand America. I can get America working again, that's why I'm running."

Romney said Gingrich's insistence that he condemn ads coming from a super PAC supportive of his candidacy was counter to the entire political process.

"I of course could get up and say I decry all of the negative ads and so forth, but I don't," Romney said. "I think it is part of the process. We could all wish for utopian-type process, but the process we have now is that way it's been for a long time. I hope ads that go up, despite showing contrast and distinction or attack, I hope they always tell the truth."

Responding to a direct challenge from Gingrich to participate in a one-on-one debate, Romney said he had already debated the former House speaker plenty of times and wouldn't agree to face him solo unless the other candidates dropped out.

"As for a one-on-one with Newt Gingrich – if he and I end up being the two finalists we'll have that opportunity," Romney said. "But now, I don't know, we've debated maybe ten times, we'll do more debates in January, but until he and I really are the two finalists why there really are people who still deserve to be on the stage."

Repeating a line he's used in debates and on the stump, Romney said he would support any Republican candidate challenging President Barack Obama. That's a far cry from Gingrich, who said Tuesday on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" he wouldn't vote for Texas Rep. Ron Paul if he won the nomination.

Romney said he hoped Paul would develop more mainstream Republican views if he became the nominee.

"I don't agree with a lot of things Ron Paul says," Romney said. "And I would vehemently oppose many of his initiatives and I believe we'd be able to move him in a direction that's more productive."

In the wide-ranging interview with Blitzer, Romney's wife Ann spoke candidly about her marriage, including the decision to put the couple on display in a recent television ad. Ann Romney said the spot wasn't meant to criticize rival Gingrich, who has been married three times.

"Whenever I speak about our life experience it is ours," Ann Romney said. "It's our story, it's not anybody else's story. For me to talk about my life, and how I feel about my husband is my story. It is never intended to be seen in a lens other than our story."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. once upon a horse

sometimes I wonder if before the interviews Mitt asks what he's supposed to answer. He usually takes a stand that he thinks the people like,,,,,,even a NH newspaper said that.

December 28, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. Beverly - NYC

Why is Newt angry? He's a Republican, he come by anger naturally.

December 28, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Just Say No to Flipper

Wow, project much, Flipper. You and the little wifey look pretty angry and upset in that pic.

December 28, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  4. Sean - NOLA

I'm sad to say that Piyush is the governor of the state I live in. Just google his name an exorcism and get a good laugh. This clown turned down $100 million of the $700 million stimulus money that went towards unemployment and helping the unemployed pay for their health insurance COBRA coverage. Then goes around bad mouthing our president, while holding 6' long checks to local communities using stimulus money but appearing like it was his office taking the credit. Another family values GOP hopeful, in the pocket of big business and the Chamber of Commerce!

December 28, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  5. Lean6

She talked him into it. He decided to give it a shot. We're talking about being the President of the United States here. Take that reluctant leader crap back to a governor's mansion where you can do less global damage, Mitt.

December 28, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. Anonymous

"He is not a liar, or thief."

Get off Flipper's jock, you clueless groupie. Flipper has changed his positions. That makes him a liar. Flipper destroyed American jobs in viable companies, all to line his pockets and those of his fellow parasites/vultures in the hidden elites. That makes him a thief. Oh yeah, and his foreign policies views would be a disaster for America.

December 28, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. m

If you were Newt, you'd be angry too! The audacity of Newt is simply amazing!

December 28, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Debra from Georgia

Sorry Jariv from Georgia, I do not support Gingrich I am a strong Democrat and I am a strong supporter for President Obama. I also do not think I am your co-worker. Allow me to give you the substance on my reasons for saying that Mitt Romney is a liar and a thief. 1) He straight out lied about President Obama record on job creation, he said the President has not created any jobs. Stated from the independent agency which is the CBO, President Obama stimulus plan created over 2.3 million private sector jobs and counting. Also, Mitt used President Obama words from the attack against John McCain, saying if they talked about the economy they will lose. Well President Obama said that when he was candidate Obama. 2) The reason I call him a thief, simply put, in his association with Bain Capital he shipped Americans jobs overseas, and in essence stole their lively hold. Now, speaking of the White House, we have a strict man in the white house that shall be re-elected in 2012. We need a man that is patient and has a stern hand. President Obama is all of those things and then some more.

December 28, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  9. Sarah

All of us who are intelligent know that Mitt Romney or Ron Paul will be our next President. Also, why do I always see jokes about "magical underwear" in Romney articles. Sees that liberals have a strange facination with underwear. I guess that is about right. LOL.

December 28, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Greg

Romney 2012!!!! We love you Romney, and anyone who cares about the USA and the economy loves you too!!!!

December 28, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

-----------------–
    I cannot agree with Gov. Romney's above assertion that it has been this way "for a long time." This is the first general election cycle with superPACs and "Citizens United." Considering the ad Romney posted with Obama quoting Sen. John McCain did't tell the truth. Even Romney admitted that not being truthful was the whole point of the ad.

December 28, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. Patricksday

I feel like Romney is trying to sell us a really bad used car, and snickering at the explotation of me.

December 28, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. Kim

Mitt Romney is a born leader, something Gingrich still can't get a grasp on. Newt is all about Newt, much like an infant. GO MITT 2012,

December 28, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Mile

Bain Capital, the company that Mitt founded, was just named by Forbes as the best company to work for...Mitt Romney 2012!

December 28, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Larry L

Mitt has a history of dirty politics and with the help of Karl Rove and the Koch brothers the swift-boats will be reving up their engines! He is the prototype for the corporate lap-dog.

December 28, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. ARMYCSM

Mitt is cloaking, hiding something. Something. What is it?????????????????????WHAT IS IT?? oh well, a fast talking man is a lying man paw-paw use to say.

December 28, 2011 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  17. WhereIsPalin

Gingrich is angry because he's living a lie.

December 28, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  18. MikeH

Hey Jariv, you really like Willard alot!. Might be time to change/clean your temple garment.

December 28, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. Indy

Jariv
    Your crush on Mitts is clouding your judgement, it is the Republicans that have proven that he is a flip flopper and a liar. He is a nice man with a nice family but he is best known as a job killer with a moderate record, but he lies and tells you he is a conservative.

December 28, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  20. Jilli

Here's a question for you Willard...what are your true principles? You don't appear to have any true convictions – no core. You're a shameless automatron – a perpetual candidate – a pathetic panderer. I'll pass.

December 28, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. KC

I will take Mitt-ens over the Obamenation we have now. Obama is in over his head. He can't do the job and needs to GO before he gets to name 4 more years of Federal judges and really wrecks this country. Romney is the most qualified and the man best able to send Obama back to Chicago. For goodness sake, if you are interviewing for a Chief Executive the person you hire should at last have CEO experience!!!

December 28, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |